Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Weirdest Corvair incident - just for fun smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 15, 2020 01:41PM

Here's a fun topic. The weirdest thing you've ever seen in a Corvair (note the below story for topic limitssmiling smiley

I once had a '67 500 4 door that someone had put carpet in the front area. And it was not just any carpet, but shag carpet. And not just the carpet, as I was to find out.

One day, after the car had been siting out of the weather, nice and dry in my garage for at least a month, I decided to take the carpet out. As I pulled it up, I noted that it had been backed by carpet padding, the kind that was a foam rubber waffle type. And it was wet. Soaking wet. When I got it up, I rolled it out the door and onto the floor, where it want SPLAT!

I quick got a bucket and held it over the bucket. Bu the time it got down to just drips, I had at least 3" of water in the bucket, and it was still dripping! eye popping smiley No wonder the front floorboards were so rusty!

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weirdest Corvair incident - just for fun smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 15, 2020 03:18PM

Corvair powered.... Girlfriend got out to take the pic as I "posed" One of our first attempts at "Catching air" Engine stuffed in the sand.... old Poloroid...was hi-tech then!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 03:20PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 15, 2020 04:23PM

I got a old Corvair that had shag carpet in it as well, the windshield channel was rusted out and when it rained it filled up the floor boards with water, a couple months later I noticed plants growing out of the carpet, upon further inspection It turned out they were Pot plants, seems the previous owner was a Pot head and dumped seeds into the carpeting! drinking smiley

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: February 15, 2020 06:41PM

In the mid 90's I was young and people would give a Corvair away left and right. A fellow club member told me I could have his 67 convertible just come pick it up. It was about 150 miles away. Took a tow dolly and halled her back home. Opened the doors and the only thing holding the front and back together was the top frame. The stress of towing the car backwards and rust could not hold it together any longer. I stripped it out in the field across the street from my fathers house.

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: February 15, 2020 07:19PM

In 1971, 18 was the legal drinking age and my friends and I took full advantage. We had hit a few hot spots and were on our way home in my Corsa convertible. Just our luck we had to stop for a light in the middle of a long uphill stretch of Route 25A on Long Island's north shore.

The light turned green and I let out the clutch and...nothing. I stabbed the brakes to arrest our backward movement. Fortunately nobody was behind me. Then a car was approaching. It was a cop. He asked what the three of us were doing outside the car. I explained we lost the clutch and would have to roll back down the hill and get up enough speed to to turn into a parking lot (while rolling in reverse). The cop was really cool and parked his car across the westbound lane at the base of the hill and put his lights on.

I released the brake and we gained plenty of speed. I cut the wheel and we made the 90 degree turn over an apron into the parking lot which sloped uphill.

The cop came over and asked us what we would do next. Our plan was to release the brake and roll down the incline and start the car in second gear and drive it home that way. He informed us that would be OK as long as we timed it so we could make it through the light halfway up the hill on 25A when the light was green.

We made it, the starter motor survived and we endured a long slow ride to my house where my friends had left their cars. In the morning I found the small steel ball at the top of the clutch cable had broken off.

Date: February 16, 2020 04:26AM

One of the few times I ever got a Corvair stuck in snow was when I was living in a house that had its garage just off a one-lane dead-end alley. At the end of the alley were three houses who's only access to the outside world was that alley, so in the winter the city would plow it one-lane wide, leaving snow banks on both sides.

During one overnight snow storm where we got at least 4-5", I was leaving for work that morning. The plow had been through, so I not only had to back through the new snow, but the bank of it that the plow had kicked up. Well, I didn't quite make a sharp enough 90 degree turn, and ended up planting my engine on top of the opposite side bank. And there I set, rear wheels off the ground, and I wasn't going anywhere. So I called for a tow truck.

Wouldn't you know it, the b*%$h from the end house (who went up and down the alley a dozen times a day) came down the alley, and was incensed that I dared to block HER way. I told her I was stuck and the tow truck was coming, but that meant nothing to her. She insisted that I MOVE THAT CAR NOW!! About that time the tow truck turned into the alley.

By the time I got the car freed (which wasn't very long) she was furious, but what could I have done, other than to tell her that if she wanted to get it off any faster, she was going to have to get out and push. She just didn't appreciate that at all, and threatened to complain to the police. Such a sweetheart!

-Mark

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 16, 2020 05:55AM

Early seventies driving to the beach with some buddies in the Monza convertible pictured below.

Pulled over by CHP on the westbound 101 Ventura Freeway and got a ticket for driving barefooted.

Attachments:
Posted by: ken ()
Date: February 16, 2020 10:49AM

My 62 MONZA Wagon broke down in LAKEWOOD Florida .

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 16, 2020 11:32AM

worked on a customers car about 18 months ago. This car had 6 external oil coolers hooked to it. It had some sort of pump that was supposed to pump the oils thru the coolers. It had 2 coolers in each rear wheel opening as well as 4 more suspended under the floor. Not sure how these were to get any air flow through them mounted flat to the floor but there they were. All kinds of leaky rubber hoses running to a fro to connect them all. The setup pulled oil from a fitting welded into the bottom of the pan and returned it to fitting welded into each valve cover. Removed all and went back to stock oil cooler only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 16, 2020 01:58PM

I have several things I could write about but I will write about losing a belt. No big deal you say? No it's not but it is when you don't have tools or a belt and about 15 miles from home!

We were young, had no money, insurance wasn't a requirement then so no towing. How do you get home? You drive home. No I did not burn up the engine nor even hurt it. Keep in mind this was out in the country so we had open roads with no stop lights. What we did was turn the heater on full hot and the fan on high to pull air through the engine but would not leave it run all the time because the battery was not charging.
What we did was wait for traffic if any to pass us then start the car and immediately accelerate through the gears, 4 spd 110, to about 70. That is when the acceleration seemed to drop off so we immediately shut the engine off and coasted as far as the car would go just barely getting off the road a couple of times. Never touched the brakes, rolled to a stop! Turn the fan on high with the windows open, this was summer and very little shade. Give the fan about 5 minutes chat for a while then repeat. It took us about an hour to go the 15 miles and we probably got maybe 1.5 miles per run, the thing that bothered me the most was the hill we had to go up. I did driv just a little longer one time to get to the top of the hill so we could coast down the other side. I think that was the longest distance we went at any one time and we got almost 2 miles!

We made it home with no issues, I put a belt on then went for beer for the father in law! This was our family car in 1972-3.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: February 16, 2020 02:17PM

when I was in High School, I drove a 64 Monza coupe. My girlfriend and I were out parking one night. Seriously, just making out. Anyway, as it got time to leave, I pushed in the clutch. Under the dashboard lit up like a Roman Candle. It seems the clutch cable had been rubbing on the wire harness for some time and eventually wore through and made contact with the 10 gauge wire coming from the battery.

We walked the mile or so to my house where I got my mother's car so I could take her home. Well, my family had always driven station wagons. My girlfriend's mother accused me of swapping cars so I could get in the back with her daughter. Geez, if only I had thought of that. eye rolling smiley

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 16, 2020 03:05PM

My wife and I have a story about Zonker the first time I owned it in 2006...but!!! cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2020 03:12PM by Phil Dally.

Attachments:
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 16, 2020 03:44PM

Clutch cable was another of mine but we were more than a couple miles from home and out in the woods at night! In Northern MI it is pine trees and sand. I have broken clutch cables before and it is easy to just start the car in first gear and then time stop lights and probably not have to stop. Yes I have done this in the city.
This instance was in the woods and in the sand! By this time I had learned my lesson and had a few basic tools, the key tool this time was a pair of vise grips. The ball had broken off the cable so there was no repair in the field. So the wife started the car and did the clutch and gas and I clipped the vise grips on the cable and pulled. She put the car in gear gave it some gas and I slowly let the clutch out. Once we got out of the woods, literally and pun intended, we stopped the car on pavement then changed drivers. I started the car in gear and drove home shifting through the gears and also downshifting. Made it home again and changed the clutch cable. This was probably in 1975-6. BTW, I did try the starter in the sand and all the car did was barely rock a little.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 16, 2020 04:34PM

My favorite so far was just this past October.

I've owned this particular Corsa since February of 2018, and have been slowly getting it to where I want it. Paint, engine heads, interior, new clutch, you get it. I had been driving it myself around town, but no real big trips.

So by October 2019 I was fairly confident it could take it further. By this time I had driven it 90 miles out to Cocoran, and 15 miles up to do substitute teaching in another little town.

So it's our anniversary. My wife has been leery of this car since I bought it. She likes Corvairs and I had one when we were dating, but it was a Powerglide Monza that in her mind seemed much more "together." (Up to then, I have to admit it was.) But she agrees to go in it. We are driving 30 miles to Visalia, a town of about 150,000 people where we wanted to go to a fancy restaurant. She hung on for dear life while I tried to impress her with the turbo.

Well, we get to our exit, quite literally are pulling off the highway, when suddenly I can't get the car into ANY gear. I am in the middle of a downshift and it stays in neutral. We were helped off the road by a guy in a truck who got out to help push, and drifted right into the parking lot of a Marie Callenders. Not where we were hoping to go, but a nice meal. The tow truck that pulled us all the way home had an attendant who knew the guy who sold the car to me.

Found out later that for some reason, the cable had gotten out of adjustment and was over-tight. Not sure how that happened but it took a vice grip to open up the spot where the cable attaches underneath and pull it free. A few turns of the screw, and it fit right back in snug and easy. Shifts like butter.

And my wife has not ridden in it with me since.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 17, 2020 04:46AM

I lived in Indy back in the 80's and needed dirt cheap work transportation so I bought a LM coupe rust bucket that had been stolen and driven into a pond after a joyride.

It had mud settled inside all the gauges and silt filtered down from the headliner whenever I hit a bump. On a rainy day, if I forgot to keep something heavy on the passenger side floor mat, water splashing from the front tires would flip the mat over and I would get a cold blast of water in the face. It had no passenger seat either.

I drove it 40 miles a day for nearly a year. An occasional hammer blow to the starter was needed on really cold days to get the solenoid to operate. Burned oil something fierce. Even though it sometimes didn't want to start right away, it never failed me once out on the road.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: February 17, 2020 07:16AM

Broken clutch cables in Corvairs are part of owning one, or at least one with a manual trans. To paraphrase the saying about the motorcycle rider, there are clutch car Corvair owners who have broken their clutch cable, and there are the ones who are gonna.

But for those of us who remember the WV ad about how the snow plow driver gets to work (picture a VW at the plow depot), here's my one-upsmanship story:

I had VW with snow tires once. Bought it to save having to drive my Corvair through the winter on our salt-paved roads (and in the rust belt, they all but literally DO pave the roads with salt). Well, as luck would have it, I once got it stuck in a snow bank (fortunately within walking distance of home). So I walked home, got the Corvair (with regular tread tires) out, drove through the snow bank, hooked onto the Vdub, and pulled it out with the Corvair. So much for the Vdub's ability in snow.

And to think that in its heyday, I'd drive my Corvairs with studded snows in back and studded regular tires in front. Nothing stopped me. Unless the snow plows couldn't make it through, either.

-Mark

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 09:40AM

Having been a Corvair driver for 50+ years, and having once been young, I have my share of "stupid Corvair tricks" stories. This is but one:

More than 35 years ago, I was driving a 1964 Greenbrier on I-80, but it was not running quite right. My buddy who was with me climbed over the seats and removed the engine cover, and began tinkering with things... as we drove!

The performance of the engine improved or degraded as he tinkered. It was like an eye doctor saying, "which is better?"

He then managed, quite accidentally, to jam the throttle open... just as I was entering an exit ramp!

Due to the phenomenon known as "God protects the dumb," I am happy to report that Greenbrier brakes can overcome the engine, and at the same time he was able to dislodge the stuck throttle. We never even came to a full stop and continued our trip as if this was a normal part of motoring.

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: William Pierson ()
Date: February 17, 2020 12:28PM

I had my 64 Spyder Clone at a local cruise. A nice looking,well dressed older lady looked the car over well. She asked if it was mine and then said"you would be surprised what you can do in that back seat when you are 18 years old" I did not respond

Bill Pierson

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: February 17, 2020 03:58PM

Back in the '70's, I was VW technician who worked on Covars as a sideline. A late model Monza pg coupe was towed to my house. It started right up, but, ran like a bag of you know what. I started disassembly and when the valve covers came off I was treated to a bundle of broken and bent pushrods. When I removed the top cover I found that a rod had broken breaking the camshaft into three pieces. Looked like a bomb went off in there, but, would run on the front two cylinders!!!!

Date: February 17, 2020 05:12PM

Talk about a Greenbrier experience, my friend Mike McKeel and his wife Cheryl were going to caravan with me to the convention in Syracuse. I would be tow-barring my '65 Monza 4 door behind my '81 Citation X-11.

Cheryl had packed some fresh apples into the FC and they ended up against the heater outlet in the back of the truck's bed. Incidentally, the heater cable was broken and couldn't be shut off. When we got to the convention, we discovered the most perfectly baked apples you could have ever served out of your kitchen!

But that trip gets better! All the way up the New York turnpike the concrete joints were uneven, so it was bang, bang, bang all the way. At the convention, I autocrossed my Corvair, then tried the X-11 on some fun runs. I found out that I'm lousy with a front driver (Ray Johnson, you're right) and cannot adjust to the difference, so I need to stick with the rear drivers.

But it's what happened right after the autocross that's the stunner. I got back and parked the car, then Mike came up to me and asked for the keys, as he and Cheryl wanted to go somewhere and do some shopping. Not much later he returned and said we had a problem. Seems that they hopped in the car, started it, and as soon as he shifted into reverse, there was a horrid BANG! and the car lurched at a horrible angle. Seems the lower front ball joint had let loose. It was a no-grease junky aftermarket part, and it had (thankfully!) decided to let loose at the best possible moment, rather than somewhere down the turnpike or at the autocross. And, yes, it had passed tech inspection!

I think the Lord was looking over us on that trip!

-Mark

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.