Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: hot smiley hot smiley Pulling the tigger on my dream BIG BORE build... hot smiley hot smiley
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: February 16, 2020 11:10AM

BobV66Vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to muddy the waters here. There are now 92mm cylinders that are made to be bored out to 94mm. If you leave them at 92mm, they have a much thicker wall and will last longer under stress. Worth looking at. You might also consider having some advanced head work done. You can get much more power from heads that a big bore. if you do head work, select a builder who is very familiar with Corvair head work.

Bob, think these are the "thick wall" 92mm cylinders Kevin was speaking of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hot smiley hot smiley Pulling the tigger on my dream BIG BORE build... hot smiley hot smiley
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 16, 2020 08:36PM

john.jackson Wrote:
> BobV66Vair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Not to muddy the waters here. There are now 92mm cylinders that are made to be bored out to 94mm. If you leave them at 92mm, they have a much thicker wall and will last longer under stress. Worth looking at. You might also consider having some advanced head work done. You can get much more power from heads that a big bore. if you do head work, select a builder who is very familiar with Corvair head work.
>
>
> Bob, think these are the "thick wall" 92mm cylinders Kevin was speaking of.

Yes they are! they have the same O.D. as the 94's but with the smaller bore.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 17, 2020 05:48AM

The problem I see with the VW jugs is the torque Value. At 18 and 23 lbs for a VW what happens when you torque them to 30. The expansion rate for the VW must be more with such a low torque value. Gene Berg never would recommend these Cylinders as the ring seal goes away pretty quick because the distort even at 18 and 23. Mike

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 17, 2020 06:23AM

I can't stand the jumping figures on the page. I have to scroll so they are not in view which may cause me to miss out on some good posts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: Pulling the tigger on my dream BIG BORE build...
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: February 17, 2020 08:09AM

Just for Jim..

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> I can't stand the jumping figures on the page. I have to scroll so they are not in view which may cause me to miss out on some good posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 08:10AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 17, 2020 08:28AM

They are really annoying.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: February 17, 2020 09:15AM

joelsplace Wrote:
> They are really annoying.

If you hate it so much - then remove the darn things - BEFORE you Post your message. Like I did here. grinning smiley

But then again - it be one less thing, for some on here, to have to complain about. ggg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2020 09:19AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 17, 2020 01:02PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> joelsplace Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > They are really annoying.
>
>
> If you hate it so much - then remove the darn things - BEFORE you Post your message. Like I did here. grinning smiley
>
> But then again - it be one less thing, for some on here, to have to complain about. ggg

Sorry, Tony. It's not funny, just annoying.

Only a moderator can remove them from the main page, which is what we are talking about. I agree with the criticism.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Re: Pulling the trigger on my dream BIG BORE build... grinning smiley
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 18, 2020 05:44AM

One consideration when planning an Ultra Van engine is where do you want your torque curve. If your guy is asking about differential ratio and tire diameter it would seem he has this in mind. I built an engine for UV 420 and took sort of a guess with FC cam and 95 HP PG distributor. It's not my UV and I'm not sure if it's been used much so I wasn't able to follow up.
Jim Davis was very helpful. He knows about Corvair engines in general and put a lot of miles on his own UV in various configurations.
Ken Hand has a computer program where he can plug in variables and calculate outcomes.

Increasing the cylinder register size in the Corvair crankcase to accept VW cylinders makes me nervous because it comes so close to the studs. People who do it don't seem to have trouble so I guess I can't argue with results.

I'm supposing that a stroker crank uses different rods since we're so close in the first place. I'd certainly like to learn more about it.

I've wondered about pulling a mountain grade in a PG UV. If you have good low end torque I suppose HI is desirable as long as you're moving enough air with the fan. If dropping to LOW and the engine is wheezy at high RPMs it might be a slow proposition.
Getting underway is another consideration with torque curve and torque convertor stall. Getting up and out of a camping site might take some oomph sometimes with everyone watching.

One needs to be careful with remote oil coolers. Oil that's too cold is as bad as oil that's too hot. Do we know what's going on with airflow along the side of the coach or underneath when traveling? Is there provision for being stuck in traffic? It's a LONG WAYS to the front of the coach and back.
I sort of wonder about the cooling air as it exits the engine. We're basically mid-engine here when it comes to airflow underneath and there can be trouble with Corvair mid-engine racers in this regard. Warren LeVeque knows about this.

I would not install a mechanical fuel pump on an expensive UV engine.

We put a Safeguard on UV 420. The potential for running hot is high and the engine is yards away under an insulated cover so you may be the last to know if it's pinging. I would seriously consider fuel injection and computer spark control on an expensive UV engine.
We thought deep valve seats and such were mandatory. Pulling a grade and then coasting downhill are prime failure conditions.

Last year I was planning an EFI turbo car engine for a guy. It was difficult because all of a sudden everything would change due to something he read on the Internet the night before. I hope you and your guy can plan the whole project through beforehand and then stick to the plan. Now is the time to think it all through. Exhaust with u-pipes or straight out the wrong way is just one example.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: Pulling the trigger on my dream BIG BORE build... grinning smiley
Date: February 18, 2020 08:01AM

Nice write up Jim. Thank you for taking the time.

There is very little air that moves under the coach.
It goes around and over as the Ultravan pushes through the air at highway speeds.

Here is the Computational Fluid Dynamics Ultravan model used to preform testing that I asked for on our 455 Olds Tornado coach.

Here is the cool or fresh air intake (under that coach) that I have since found out, was not getting enough air forced into it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 08:02AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.