Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
corvair key and ignition switch compatability
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:25AM

i bought one of these key blanks a few years back hoping to use it on my corvair.
i was told at the time that they only work on late model igniton switch tumblers.
is that true?

if so, is it as simple as swapping ignition switches on my dash cluster to that of a late model? or are they different enough that it wont interchange?

[www.ebay.com]

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California
1960 Monza 900
1962 Volvo Amazon
1970 VW Class 11 Bug
1986 Shelby Charger
1987 Honda Accord
1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
1998 Camaro z28
2003 Hummer H2

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: corvair key and ignition switch compatability
Posted by: alan_smithee ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:37AM

That key blank looks an awful lot like the key blanks blade I just had cut for my EM. hold it side by side with your cut key and compare the length and the pre-routed grooves. Looks like it should work in an EM

Boosted60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i bought one of these key blanks a few years back hoping to use it on my corvair.
> i was told at the time that they only work on late model igniton switch tumblers.
> is that true?
>
> if so, is it as simple as swapping ignition switches on my dash cluster to that of a late model? or are they different enough that it wont interchange?
>
> [www.ebay.com]

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:48AM

We really need to see both sides of the key you have! From there you will find out what year(s) the key will fit.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2020 10:02AM

Try to put it in your EM lock. If it fits it will work. Otherwise there is no "LM" key blank they changed them every year.
GM 35-66 are the same. 67, 68, 69 are all different for each year although the '67 looks very similar to the EM it won't fit.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 13, 2020 10:17AM

Joel
Try to put it in your EM lock. If it fits it will work. Otherwise there is no "LM" key blank they changed them every year.
GM 35-66 are the same. 67, 68, 69 are all different for each year although the '67 looks very similar to the EM it won't fit.

Yes!

GM 1935 to 1966 use the same blank, even with the octagonal and pear shaped heads, same keyway. Known in the aftermarket as B-10 Octagonal head, B-11 Pear head.

1967 has the "A" blank for ignition and doors

1968 has the "C" blank for ignition and doors

1969 has the "E" blank for ignition and doors

On the eBay site you can see both sides of the Gold key, looks like a "B-10/11" to me.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: February 14, 2020 02:21PM

the key i received says "1967 & on."

so can a 67+ ignition switch fit in a 1960 dash?

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California
1960 Monza 900
1962 Volvo Amazon
1970 VW Class 11 Bug
1986 Shelby Charger
1987 Honda Accord
1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
1998 Camaro z28
2003 Hummer H2

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 14, 2020 03:50PM

Boosted60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the key i received says "1967 & on."
>
> so can a 67+ ignition switch fit in a 1960 dash?

The technical answer is it will fit into the hole, but the terminal end is completely different, so the practical answer is NO.. You need a key that is marked as being a B10 key... B10 is the universal number for that keyway, and used by almost every independent key manufacturer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 14, 2020 10:07PM

Well since you know it can't be 67 on the question with a definitive answer is will it fit in the lock?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: February 14, 2020 11:11PM

Not sure what the "M" means but it definitely does not look like a groove style 15 keyway which was used on 60-66 Corvairs. Instead it sure appears to be a groove style 54 or "C" keyway which was used in 1968 Corvairs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.