Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Scarebird LM front disc kits
Posted by: corvairne ()
Date: February 11, 2020 08:05PM

Anyone familiar with these kits? How do they measure up with Clarks kit, in build quality, cost, need for machining etc. Thanks

Dave Larsen
1965 Corsa vert 140/4 speed
Omaha NE
CORSA member

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scarebird LM front disc kits
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 12, 2020 02:02AM

Rick just put a set on his Monza. He said an easy kit to install. But you have to get the right length hoses yourself. He got the bigger caliper set.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 12, 2020 02:14AM

More info.

Rick just put a set on his Monza. He said it is an easy kit to install. But you have to get the right length hoses yourself. He purchased the bigger caliper set and mounted calipers to the rear.

You will have to machine the hubs to fit the rotors. O'Reillys can do the machining job. Get the instructions off Scarebird website and familiarize yourself with them. Also he had to get a bigger bore master cylinder than what the 68/69 Vairs used. Part number of the MC IS 101339BX. I am using same MC for my Coupe's front disc/rear drum brake system.

Cost wise you will save a bundle.

If you haven't changed your 50+ year old brake lines, get ready to do them. Get the copper nickel brake line kit off eBay and make your own lines. Save $$$.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: hardcase ()
Date: February 13, 2020 08:56AM

I installed the EM kit, which is very similar to the LM. The master cylinder that they recommended has a 7/8" bore, which I felt had too much pedal travel, so I changed that to a 1" MC, which gives a much more confident pedal. Machining the spindle took about 5 minutes. I don't think that the larger "heavy duty" calipers are necessary, given the weight of the car and the overall weight distribution.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 13, 2020 10:06AM

hardcase Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Snip
I don't think that the larger "heavy duty" calipers are necessary, given the weight of the car and the overall weight distribution.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am not so sure about that! You can't just say that with a blanket meaning. You have to look at the pressures for the clamping forces needed for the disc brakes as opposed to the pressures the drum takes. There is a very large difference there, why do you think the caliper piston is so large?

I am braking ranks, pun intended, and going discs on the front of the race car. While I am not using the Scarebird parts I am going with the 2.75" dia. piston caliper. I will still have to use a bias valve but my pressure drop to the rear will be less than everyone else that is only using the 2.5" piston caliper. That also equates into a lighter pedal feel and easier to modulate. Then when I go to rear discs I will use the 2.5" caliper. I will probably stick with the 1" dual master unless something really dictates otherwise.

OH, don't forget to get 2 10# residual pressure valves for the calipers, that is probably why the one brake pedal was low.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2020 10:10AM

10# residual pressure for the calipers? That will make them drag.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: hardcase ()
Date: February 13, 2020 02:18PM

vairmech Wrote:
> hardcase Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Snip
> I don't think that the larger "heavy duty" calipers are necessary, given the weight of the car and the overall weight distribution.
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> I am not so sure about that! You can't just say that with a blanket meaning. You have to look at the pressures for the clamping forces needed for the disc brakes as opposed to the pressures the drum takes. There is a very large difference there, why do you think the caliper piston is so large?
>
> I am braking ranks, pun intended, and going discs on the front of the race car. While I am not using the Scarebird parts I am going with the 2.75" dia. piston caliper. I will still have to use a bias valve but my pressure drop to the rear will be less than everyone else that is only using the 2.5" piston caliper. That also equates into a lighter pedal feel and easier to modulate. Then when I go to rear discs I will use the 2.5" caliper. I will probably stick with the 1" dual master unless something really dictates otherwise.
>
> OH, don't forget to get 2 10# residual pressure valves for the calipers, that is probably why the one brake pedal was low.

Fair enough!

Are you sure about 10# for the calipers? I have a 10 pound RPV for the drums, as recommended by everyone and their brother, but all of the (allegedly) smart guys say that 2 pounds is sufficient for the calipers, and a firewall-mounted MC will provide that.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 13, 2020 06:57PM

The 2# may be OK for a street car, I got carried away thinking about the race car. We need a little heat for the shoes er-- pads to work.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 13, 2020 07:19PM

I have installed a number of Scarebird setups. I will install more. The quality is second to none.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 13, 2020 08:53PM

Ref Scarebird brackets. Do they still have you machine the upper retainer bolt and use it to act as the upper retainer? I have some of their first brackets (2005) on the front of my race car, with dual piston SSBC calipers. They work great.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:03PM

Last set I bought came with a bushing and a new bolt. I never had a problem cutting the anchor pin off the bolt thought. Two minutes with a sand flapper disk in an angle grinder and you’re good.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:13PM

Way back when I bought my kit, it came with both 65 bolts and 66 bolts (The upper spindle bolt is different) But the hole in the bracket was the larger size. Uh, no. Not on a race car. So I machined a pair of small bushings to fill in the space. Lopping off everything from the hex outward on the stock bolts makes sense. I did trim a bit of the bracket off for a miniscule weight loss. Please ignore the drilled and slotted rotors which are not legal in E/P.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 15, 2020 05:15PM

FYI Dave Clemens has the nicest Metric Caliper bracket out there. Laser Cut and Light weight. Mike

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 01:58PM

What about wheel clearance when adding calipers. Im running 15x7 with 4.5 offset. Do the calipers listed on their web site fit upgraded wheels?

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: February 18, 2020 09:16AM

Ron62 Wrote:
> What about wheel clearance when adding calipers. Im running 15x7 with 4.5 offset. Do the calipers listed on their web site fit upgraded wheels?

You should be just fine. I ran a similar spec Rally II for years on the metric setup. They actually don't fit the OEM 13" wheel.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.