Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
paint color
Posted by: jimish ()
Date: February 11, 2020 07:01PM

Any pictures or descriptions of 1965 Danube Blue paint? The paint code in the engine compartment is C-C. Car is a very dark blue. Need to know if that is accurate so I can have some paint mixed up to paint the mismatched doors.

Jimish
Hopewell Junction, N.Y.

66 500 air ride

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: paint color
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 11, 2020 07:31PM

Here ya go! [www.corvaircorsa.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 11, 2020 07:49PM

Or here:

[www.autocolorlibrary.com]

Yes, it is a very dark blue.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jimish ()
Date: February 11, 2020 08:40PM

Matt and Frank, thanks, that looks like the color on the car but I don't know why the tag says paint code C-C. The car hasn't been waxed since 1966 so its kind of flat and porus. Thinking of getting the proper paint then hitting with a matt finish so it will match.

Jimish
Hopewell Junction, N.Y.

66 500 air ride

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: February 12, 2020 12:28PM

Jimish,

This will very much depend on a couple of things:

1. How well you can work on the original finish to get the best depth, color, and gloss that you can muster. That is very important in order for a shop to do the best match possible to the original.

2. The brand of system and type of system used will actually change the color and look of Danube Blue. Example: if using a PPG Aquabase base/clear system, if you use the formula as is, they will not match up to the original finish.You will need to have the shop do spray outs to get the right match, both on colors and size of flakes as well.

I had to do this on a couple of small areas on my original 66 Monza in Danube Blue. Took 15 spray outs to get it to match and butt up against the original paint.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rich

Attachments:
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: February 12, 2020 12:45PM

Rich is correct. It's very difficult to match original lacquer paint with urethane paints today. I did some spray outs on Danube using PPG two stage and it came out much lighter than I expected. My car was a total repaint so I ended up going something totally different with a BMW M5 color: Azurite Black.

Posted by: aeroengineer ()
Date: February 12, 2020 12:50PM

Bought a '65 Corsa Turbo 'Vert at an auction about 30 yrs ago. Danube Blue/White top. Stunning color combo... too bad the car was a rust bucket. Sold it "as is" to a more "resourceful" gent for restoration.

Always thought about this color combo for a "future" purchase that hasn't happened... yet.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 12, 2020 01:43PM

There is a georgeous Danube Blue 65 Corsa vert with a white top in the club. At shows, people ask "Who owns the black Corvair?" It is very dark blue.

grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2020 01:43PM by azdave.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.