Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: For the Guru's: Can a bent camshaft be straightened?
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: February 13, 2020 08:09PM

It would be good to also check the cam in some V blocks. The cam might raise and lower in the other block journals and not show the true defection at each cam journal.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:08PM

Cams are easily straightened, at least a bit, as long as you have a way to check it. I did it in a shop class with direction from an expert. You actually hit the cam with a V-shape chisel on one side. That "grows" the cam on that side, bending it the other way. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Until I watched him do it, then tried it myself. I know this applies to cast iron cams. I don't know if it works on machined billet cams. (Remember the old caution, kids, don't try this at home! Unless you have the right equipment.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: John Luscinski ()
Date: February 14, 2020 04:32AM

A camshaft is made of cast iron. It is also a very easy part to break if dropped. Why would you hit the cam to straighten it out. Seems like one would take a risk on doing this and have it break inside the engine. Your imposing stress in that one area which will affect the cams life. If its out of round don't chance on this. Just get a new one.. Just my opinion.

Posted by: nginbldr ()
Date: February 16, 2020 10:02AM

If your cam is actually bent, and it can occur, don't try to straighten it in a press-- they are cast iron billets,and you are asking for a two piece cam.I have straightened a number of cams (cranks too) over the years.. find the low point of runout, and with the cam on a solid workbench, strike it with a hammer and blunt chisel between the lobes at this point..then check it..may take a couple whacks.. I have brought cams with .006 to .007 run out back to .002 or less..this method practically eliminates any "springback"..good luck.. Ben

63 Monza coupe 4 sp (original owner)
66 Corsa coupe turbo
couple of old Vettes
Corsa member since 1978

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.