Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Seth Distributor Install Help
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: February 08, 2020 08:09AM

I'm installing Seth's HEI distributor in my 1968 140 4-speed. Seth was nice enough to reconfigure the distributor for this application pursuant to instructions so that's done but now I have to get this thing installed and I've never r&r'd a distributor, so I've got a lot of questions and want to make sure I don't do anything wrong.

First Question: I did verify TDC and have everything lined up. It looks like the spec is 4 degrees BTDC. Do I need to pull the distributor out and crank it back the 4 degrees?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 08:10AM by cschneider53.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seth Distributor Install Help
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: February 08, 2020 08:57AM

Why don't you ask Seth?

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: February 08, 2020 09:35AM

Probably because this forum is supposed to be so people can ask questions about things there having problems with and learn about there cars from people that know! Not to here smart *** remarks from people that have nothing to contribute because of there apparent lack there of!

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: February 08, 2020 09:55AM

4 degrees off is close enough that the engine will start and allow you to fine tune the timing with a timing light. I would button it up, leaving the distributor just snug but not tight, and set the final timing with a light.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: February 08, 2020 10:10AM

Good man Kyle that's what I'm talking aboutsmileys with beer. Also if you go on google at type in how to set timing on a 2.7 eng.it will refer you to this subject on corvaircenter and uncovers it pretty well.good luck brother

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: February 08, 2020 10:44AM

Make sure the rotor points to the same place as the old one before it was removed

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Date: February 08, 2020 11:06AM

idiyaught Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make sure the rotor points to the same place as the old one before it was removed

It does, as far as I recall. I didn't make any marks but I'm not sure that would have helped much since I was going from the stock dizzy to the HEI. Maybe this is a dumb question but does it really matter where there rotor is pointing as long as you get lined up with the wire going to cylinder one and then get the firing order correct?

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: February 08, 2020 12:01PM

You will need to tap into the main wiring harness to a constant 12v source that works from the ignition. Stock ignition wiring drops voltage after key is released to keep from cooking the points, so you can’t just wire to the cloth resistor wire at the coil. You might have already done this IDK. Looking at your picture it appears as though your distributor is in but the tang has not lined up and messhed with the oil pump drive gear, preventing it from falling into place.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Date: February 08, 2020 01:47PM

I'm fairly certain it's seated all the way in. But here's a picture to verify. Again, I've never done this before. Thank you everyone for the help!

With regard to the coil, I'll be on to that next once I have everything done on the distributor itself. I'm definitely a bit confused about the 12V issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 01:49PM by cschneider53.

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: February 08, 2020 02:27PM

Ok in the other photo it looked as if it was sitting high, must have been the shadow. Do you have a shop manual with a wiring diagram? That will help you on the wiring. If I get s chance I could take a picture but then I gotta relearn how to upload it.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Date: February 08, 2020 04:43PM

Do I have this backwards? Should the green be directly underneath the red if everything is aligned to TDC?

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 08, 2020 05:14PM

The pickup (the green in your photo) can match up with any of the 6 points on the reluctor. As it passes, the distributor fires the coil. The voltage comes in and goes out to whichever point on the cap where the rotor tip (red in your photo) is pointing.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 08, 2020 06:37PM

cschneider53 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> idiyaught Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Make sure the rotor points to the same place as the old one before it was removed
>
>
> It does, as far as I recall. I didn't make any marks but I'm not sure that would have helped much since I was going from the stock dizzy to the HEI. Maybe this is a dumb question but does it really matter where there rotor is pointing as long as you get lined up with the wire going to cylinder one and then get the firing order correct?

To answer your question: no, it doesn't matter as long as #1 is on compression. It's easy to get 180 degrees out.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.