Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB : an A6 compressor New or rebuilt
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 07, 2020 08:42PM

Anybody know where to find one.

Been searching to no avail.
Want new or rebuilt

needpart

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 08:51PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB : an A6 compressor New or rebuilt
Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:52PM

Worth a shot.
[www.2040-parts.com]

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:53PM

Rebuilt A6 should be pretty easy. Reverse-rotation, low-compression Corvair A6 is another story. I wonder if you could send yours to Four-Seasons or Old Air Products and have them rebuild yours?

Old Air Products A6

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 08, 2020 03:48AM

For what year? Corvairs used three compressors over the span of '61-7. Of course, we can discount the '61 (infamous) green compressor, since you specified the A6.

That leaves just the two versions, used from '62-6 and the (one year only)'67.

I happen to have in stock two full sets of'67 compressors, complete with the proper offset high mount brackets (except am short one bracket for one of the sets) and the muffler w/straps. The onethat is missing the one lower brace also has a frozen up clutch.

But there is nothing wrong with the better set. Clutch and compressor are almost like new, with just some minimal paint scuffs. Asking $250 plus shipping for it, $150 for the lessor set.

-Mark

Date: February 08, 2020 05:45AM

Mark

I think I may take you up on that offer.

I took the old one off my 66 because it was leaking. I took it to 5 different places and each one said they could rebuild the front end. All five times it continued to leak.

Been playing on ebay but most I find "fits Corvair" turn out to not be reverse rotation.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 08, 2020 05:58AM

Mark has good stuff!!!

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 08, 2020 06:19AM

2ragtops Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark
>
> I think I may take you up on that offer.
>
> I took the old one off my 66 because it was leaking. I took it to 5 different places and each one said they could rebuild the front end. All five times it continued to leak.
>
> Been playing on ebay but most I find "fits Corvair" turn out to not be reverse rotation.

Resealing an A6 compressor isn't a difficult job, and I am wondering if you are mistaking the oil slinging from behind the electric clutch as a leak. The compressor oil lubricates the ceramic seal, and a minute amount of oil gets past the ceramic seal. Eventually that oil will start to build up in the cavity in front of the seal, and it will then be slung out by centrifugal force. GM realized his problem and in later production A6 compressors they remedied the problem by installing a "diaper" in front of the seal that would absorb the oil. Eventually even that would become soaked, and you needed to remove the clutch and replace the "diaper". With the proper tools removing and reinstalling the clutch isn't a difficult job, however, it can be tedious leaning over the engine to do it. If the compressor is off the car, it is a relative easy job that takes about an hour to do. I use Viton "O" rings in both the front and rear end caps, rather than the original butyl rubber seals.

I forgot to mention that GM has a new lip seal for the A6 compressors, however, it will not work on the older model A6 compressors, even though some still believe that it will. There was a long discussion about this on one of the Corvette forums, and the final conclusion was that you cannot substitute the new lip seal successfully for the older ceramic seal. If the original seal was replaced with the newer lip seal, then that is the reason that it has continued to leak. Also, if the sealing surface of the shaft has been damaged, then there is no salvaging it, and the shaft needs to be replaced. In this case, it would be better to use another compressor that to pay to have that shaft replaced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 06:27AM by junkman.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 13, 2020 01:06PM

I called the manufacturer (it's been a while but I think it was Frigidaire) and it turns out that they still make the A6. They are used on a variety of vehicles and heavy equipment. They sell them in either rotation and I could even choose between metric or SAE threads on the mounting brackets. It shouldn't take too long to track them down on Google.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 13, 2020 01:47PM

Last year I sold one in working condition at Palm Springs for $5. Almost had to give it away on the last day.

The A/C shop near me sells an aluminum A6 but I have no idea of the cost or quality. I still run the original A6 on Cathy's 4-door.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2020 02:15PM

An aluminum A6 in reverse rotation would be great! Part number?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 13, 2020 03:00PM

[www.buyautoparts.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2020 03:09PM

That appears to be a regular rotation one.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 13, 2020 03:13PM

Call them!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 14, 2020 09:09AM

Yesterday, I called Old Air Products about an unrelated question, and at the same time, I asked about rebuilding the Corvair A6 compressor, and mentioned that it was a reverse rotation compressor. I got a "deer in the headlights" type of answer.... "I never heard of a reverse rotation A6 compressor". I have resealed both type of rotation A6 compressors, and they both look the same, however, without checking the part numbers for the internal components of each, I can't say how many of the parts are the same. Old Air Products charges $275 for a rebuild, so the best suggestion that I could make, is if you send it to them for a rebuild, specify that it is from a Corvair with reverse rotation, and once they get it apart, they will be able to tell if they can rebuild it successfully. There is a strong possibility that many of the internal wear parts are the same, and that just the crankshaft might be different. GM was a master at adaptation or reconfiguration of an item to multiple product application. If you ask for the old clutch back, assuming that it still works, you can keep it for a spare, or remove it before sending. The rebuild comes with a new clutch. I have no idea how close the replacement clutches are to the originals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: February 14, 2020 09:32AM

thanks junkman I will call.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

House Springs, Missouri

Date: February 14, 2020 04:00PM

why do you believe that your compressor needs to be rebuilt, instead of just resealed? Resealing is something that you can do yourself if you have the inclination.

Date: February 14, 2020 04:52PM

I have about 15 reseal kits I bought a while back.
My compressor has been "rebuilt" by three independent shops and one also by one of my friends [retired mechanic] It still leaks. Would like to go with either new or "shop" rebuilt.

I found a shop on ebay, they claim they can do it, full knowing aobut reverse rotation.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

House Springs, Missouri

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.