Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT, Testimony from a Tesla owner spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 06, 2020 12:08PM

This is good! [youtu.be]

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT, Testimony from a Tesla owner spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: February 06, 2020 12:40PM

So true! My friend is vacationing in Cali. He sent me a picture of a model X asking which Tesla it was. He said they were everywhere out here. I told him it’s California’s new Prius. Good timing on the video.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 06, 2020 12:45PM

Hmmm ya...where does all that electricity and lithium come from? smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 06, 2020 01:25PM

That was a riot! Thanks for the link.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 06, 2020 06:57PM

thumbs up
Unfortunately, . . . . . they are not just in CA. sad smiley
Incredibly popular just north of me too. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: February 06, 2020 08:12PM

They're certainly interesting vehicles, but the build quality is terrible for what they cost.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:02AM

Wait until the salt and brine starts eating these things alive ….LOL smiling smiley

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:04AM

I am considering the likelihood of the guy in the video actually owning a Tesla. I don't own one either. But I am glad his video can make you all feel so superior. I guess it performs a needed task. (where is that sarcasm emoji?)

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:22AM

That jerk in the video reminds me of the same type who runs his mouth at car shows saying negative things about my Corvair.

Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:42AM

Love the satire! They cast the right guy for sure.Up here in BC we have an abundance of Hydro-electric power, so that doesn't figure in. But elsewhere, ya, where is the power coming from. Interesting times. I spent the fall installing 6 EV charging stations for the BC gov. Learned a lot. Who knows where it's going. Line ups at charging stations means more cars coming on line. People putting their money where their mouth is. Still some free charging stations here, but that won't last. Big Oil PetroCanada announced the fast charge EV coast to coast highway and I don't think they'd jump in without clear indications of future demand. I'm an interested spectator with no skin in the game. Can't afford-don't want a knew vehicle. But it's fun to watch!

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:46AM

* As for where the electricity comes from, if you follow the trend in electrical generation as the industry is changing rather quickly, claims that most of it comes from coal are rapidly diminishing. There are no new coal-fired electrical plans being considered. Those that remain are mostly in the eastern parts of the US. The changeover to solar, wind and to some degree natural gas will become the new normal over the next decades. If people could lose their fear whenever the word "nuclear" comes up, there could be new plants built using something more modern than the now 70+ year-old boiling water reactors. That technology is already well into the prototype demonstration phase. In fact, there are some nuclear generation technologies that can use the "waste" that was generated and stored in the previous boiling water reactors as fuel.
The presumption on electrical generation is that The Way Things Are Now will be the way things always will be in the future.
That has never been the case.
* As for where the lithium comes from, that discussion is usually about current mining methods and sources. That too will change, To a greater degree than now lithium recycling will become more useful once there is more lithium to recycle. It's not as though they are going to throw those batteries into a landfill.
The same set of observations were made when catalytic converters were first being installed on cars. It was said, at the time, that it would be all but impossible to handle so large a volume.
It wasn't.

The whole EV phenomenon is here to stay. But it will Not repeat Not replace all of the IC engines on the road. Rather, EVs will take a larger market share than they have shown in the past, and the automotive market will readjust to make room for them. Most people in urban areas seldom use their cars for really long-distance driving any more. The EV is the appropriate vehicle for >90% of their driving needs. I have a half dozen friends -- all of rational mindsets -- who have purchased EVs and absolutely prefer them to anything else. In large part because they are nearly maintenance-free.
The QC issues are amenable to manufacturing process improvements. There are a dozen or so EV manufacturers now dealing with those issues.
The idea of replacing one sort of widespread environmental public health issue with another sort more amenable to remediation seems workable enough.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 07, 2020 11:17AM

Seth, did you watch the video? The guy is a fairly popular comedian. He makes fun of all kinds of things.
It didn't make me feel any more superior than I already do. There are people that want electric cars and have reasons to buy them but most I've talked to are pretty much like he described. That's one of the reasons it is funny.
I have a friend that bought the high dollar one with ludicrous mode. He has no delusions that he is saving the planet he just likes fast cars. He also has a Viper that he spent a ton of money on to make it fast.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 07, 2020 11:50AM

Yeah, He's kind of a you tube version of the Onion.

I forwarded it to our son that lives in downtown Seattle, I'm sure he'll have some fun with it.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 11:51AM by jjohnsonjo.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 07, 2020 02:11PM

My neighbor (and great friend) has a pony tail and a new Tesla S. I sent this to him. lol

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: racingguy2 ()
Date: February 07, 2020 02:22PM

Biggest sources of lithium right now? Afghanistan and Africa. Nothing to do with why we have military in either location. (Sarcasm intended)

No! Never waste a lithium battery in a landfill! Forget the treehugger reasons, the redneck recycling plan is much more entertaining!
Take them apart, powder the lithium. Don't try this at home! Take it to your local artillery range, fill the lid of a 55 gallon drum with it. put about 10 gallons of diesel fuel in the drum, and duct tape a road flare to the side. At a redneck approved "safe" distance, shoot the drum with tracer or API out of a machine gun. BOOM! The diesel launches the lid in the air, distributing it nicely before ignition, Mushroom cloud happiness without all the pesky nuclear fallout problems! (Makes you reconsider riding around with 100+ lbs of it in your trunk!) (For sarcastic entertainment purposes only. Common sense, Explosives and FFL licenses required.)

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 07, 2020 05:47PM

From Thermo-Fisher Scientific Web site

Most of the world’s lithium comes from brine operations in Chile and a spodumene operation in Australia. China and Argentina are also major lithium producers. Establishing a reliable, diversified supply of lithium is a top priority for technology companies in the United States and Asia, particularly battery suppliers and vehicle manufacturers, and numerous lithium claims have been leased or staked worldwide. Brine operations are under development in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and the United States; spodumene mining operations are under development in Australia, Canada, China, and Finland; a jadarite mining operation is under development in Serbia; and a lithium clay-mining operation is under development in Mexico. (More data available from the U.S. Geological Survey’s 2016 Lithium Mineral Commodity Summary.)

Notice any places missing in the above list?

PS - It is a funny video, as long as you view it as comedy, not commentary.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 05:49PM by Seth Emerson.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 07, 2020 06:10PM

But Seth... Google sez:

The United States and Canada have more than ample lithium resources to support the expanding lithium mining industry. The largest reserves are in the tin-spodumene belt of the Carolinas, which was first developed during World War II and is now the largest source of lithium in the world.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: February 09, 2020 08:19AM

We have a customer with one. I've got to drive it. It's a different experience. Tires are only about $340 each. Due to the extra sound deadening material IN the tire, which must also be good for the environment to produce AND recycle.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 09, 2020 08:35AM

4carbcorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Tires are only about $340 each. Due to the extra sound deadening material IN the tire, which must also be good for the environment to produce AND recycle.

FYI...Sound deadening foam is common inside many high-end car tires. Up to 9 dB in noise reduction being claimed.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: February 09, 2020 08:42AM

azdave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4carbcorvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Tires are only about $340 each. Due to the extra sound deadening material IN the tire, which must also be good for the environment to produce AND recycle.
>
> FYI...Sound deadening foam is common inside many high-end car tires. Up to 9 dB in noise reduction being claimed.

Yes. Which adds to environmental impact. Added foam and adhesives. Full electric cars are not as environmentally friendly as some think.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.