Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Engine squeaks/rattles 63 Spyder
Posted by: Ron in Indy ()
Date: February 07, 2020 11:12AM

Yep, so much for working in my dark garage after sunset! eye popping smiley
I put it back on correctly, but it doesn't help with the chirp/rattle.
Same as for the original (notched) belt.
There does appear to be a correlation between belt tension and noise though. A very loose belt quiets things down significantly (but not completely) A very tight belt makes the noise worse (louder and more persistent)
There appears to be a little bounce or wobble in the belt, particularly when loose. How much (if any) is acceptable, and what might cause this?
Thanks,
Ron in Indy (FL)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 07, 2020 11:14AM

No bounce!! You've got a rough bearing / pulley out of alignment / rough pully surface [ rust ]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 07, 2020 11:20AM

Tighten the belt up more to help find the noise with the stethoscope.
Lots of people have good luck with that but I've never been able to hear much. All bearings sound awful when I use a stethoscope.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: jwilsman ()
Date: February 07, 2020 01:14PM

I'd try another pulley. My 64 had a similar sound, scratch / wobble sound. My fan bearing squealed when cold.
After I put on a new pulley the sound went away. Good luck, you'll figure it out.

-Jeff
St Louis, MO
SMCC
60 700 Sedan,80hp,PG
64 Monza Vert,110hp,4spd
64 Greenbrier 6 door,95hp,4spd

Posted by: Ron in Indy ()
Date: February 07, 2020 01:16PM

I did the screwdriver trick to listen for a dying bearing. I thought I may have heard a little intermittent noise coming from the idler pulley, but hard to say, since I don't know exactly how it is supposed to sound. As I mentioned earlier, I replaced that bearing. I also swapped out a different pulley, based on Steve's suggestion. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I took Matt's warning about belt bounce to heart. Misaligned pulleys was something I didn't consider. I went out and double-checked and couldn't find any excentricities by eyeball. I'll keep messing with it and hopefully track down the noise. I'm not too concerned about any mechanical issues (the car runs great) Just an annoying rattle that make the spyder sound like a junkbox! sad smiley

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: February 07, 2020 02:02PM

With the noise getting worse with a tight belt sounds like the generator bearings? Considering you have changed pulleys and idler bearings.had a similar noise on my 64 when I got it but some oil helped. Not sure how hard they are to change. Good luck friend. Mike

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.