Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Light Drive Shafts
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: February 06, 2020 10:21AM

Has anyone here run all aluminum drive shafts on their LM? Or any other light material like carbon fiber. I know of one person who has. I priced them at a local driveshaft company and they were really expensive. The parts are all standard stuff but I guess they cost a LOT more than steel.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Drive Shafts
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 06, 2020 10:52AM

I bought an aluminum drive shaft on Ebay to toy with the idea on my road racing Corvair. I got to thinking the Corvair drive shaft is after the differential multiplication, it is somewhat stressed by being a suspension strut and the original drive shafts are so light to begin with.
It's an interesting idea though.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: February 06, 2020 10:55AM

I'm surprised some of the racers don't have Al or CF halfshafts. When I supercharged my Mustang, I installed a carbon fiber driveshaft to replace the clunky two-piece steel factory unit. Aluminum and CF isn't cheap, but I wanted a single-piece unit that could handle the added strain.

In my case, I also saved nearly 30 pounds of rotating mass. The savings would not be as extreme with our Corvairs since the shafts are fairly short.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 06, 2020 11:04AM

My 2000 full sized Chevy Express Van had an aluminum drive shaft about the same diameter. Seems like you could find one in a junk yard, cut it to the correct length, weld a new end on, balance and you go to go on the cheap.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 06, 2020 11:43AM

I you're going to spend that much dough...go carbon fiber.

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: February 06, 2020 01:24PM

C4 Corvette half shafts?

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 06, 2020 01:26PM

Interesting discussion here from the Corvette guys...

[www.corvetteforum.com]

With it being a suspension member, and after the differential, I'll probably stick with steel.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: February 06, 2020 01:28PM

Just be mindful about RWHP

Attachments:
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: February 06, 2020 01:56PM

I bet that made some noise when those went. Ouch!

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Date: February 06, 2020 02:34PM

48kb1panel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet that made some noise when those went. Ouch!

Don't know the whole story behind these other than it was a 540 ci Merlin powered C2 Corvette.

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:26PM

IIRC C4 Corvettes use the same size Ujoints on their half shafts and they're longer. I was considering picking up a pair and taking them to a driveshaft shop to have them shortened to fit. They are the upper link of the C4 rear suspension, and handle stock torque which is higher than my car will likely ever make so I have no reason to think they wouldn't work. Now the benefits? Likely not worth it, but I enjoy experimenting and am starting to remove weight from the car while keeping it a nice street/autocross car.

That said, does anybody know the wall thickness of a stock steel halfshaft from a LM Corvair and even a stock aluminum Corvette shaft? Weight differences can be easily estimated with that info.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:29PM

Sometimes aluminum parts are just as heavy as steel by the time you make them thick enough to work. Dirt bike swing arms come to mind.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:33PM

Pretty simple for the drive shaft guys. There are plenty who will make custom half-shafts from Aluminum. They also know that the torque they have to carry can be 3-4 times that of a driveshaft, depending on the left-right split, and the differential type. Just send them a half shaft and ask for a quote. In reality, there are better places to spend money than on those. The stock Vair half-shaft, if not machined away by a heater hose wire, is light and stout enough for any Corvair engine usage. It is your money and your choice.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 07, 2020 05:26AM

Seth Emerson wrote:
" In reality, there are better places to spend money than on those."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's the lump of cast iron that is the Corvair differential and transmission.
I lifted and cradled in my arms the 914 Porsche transaxle from the La Boa Corvair Sports Racer and fell in love.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:57AM

JerryM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just be mindful about RWHP

One of our local autocrossers (who recently passed away) ran a 1970 Vette with a Merlin 572, on monster Hoosiers...I wonder what he ran for driveshafts?

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.