Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Negative camber on 63 convertible
Posted by: rsschnell ()
Date: February 05, 2020 05:47PM

Friend has a 1963 convertible with severe negative camber on the rear. Replaced the motor mount, seemed to help for a time, but has since returned to wearing the inside of the rear tires in short order. When I had the car had no problem for over 20 years. I have a sister 63 with no issues. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negative camber on 63 convertible
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 05, 2020 06:29PM

Welcome to the CCF!

Are you sure it's severe Negative Camber and not Toe-OUT?

Is the new owner a Heavy person?

Has the powerpack been out recently?

To measure Camber... Take a simple 24" level and lay vertice against the tire across the center... Less the 1/2 Bubble and that's not your problem.

Toe.... Take a Tape measure and measure across the front of the rear tires to the same spot on each as high as you can without the tape hitting anything.... then the rear side.... Compare you want TOE IN. 1/8" narrower in front.

And of course, the PIC... we need one... gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 07:45AM by MattNall.

Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: February 05, 2020 06:52PM

Did they change the rims, maybe the wrong offset

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 05, 2020 07:57PM

It is toe that is wearing the tires as Matt suggested. Toe wears the edge of the tire quickly camber will wear half way across and much slower. If it wears the inside it has too much toe out. I'll bet it drives terrible.
You'll want to fix the camber also. If the mount helped for a while maybe the new mount failed. Check the front mounts also. Add shims to the front of the transmission to move toward toe in but don't forget to loosen the rear mount so the drive train can slide to the rear.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 06, 2020 04:47AM

Camber on EM is usually a function of coil spring length. Negative camber is short or saggy springs.
I suppose there's a few other factors such as how the powertrain is located on the 3 rubber mounts and to a lesser extent how the suspension crossmember is located on it's rubber mounts.
I could be forgetting something. I just thought I'd address camber since the thread quickly went to toe.
I had a Rampside with heavy springs and positive camber that wore the outsides of tires quickly, I'd have them flipped to get some more out of them as I liked the load capacity.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 04:49AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: February 06, 2020 01:04PM

Nothing was said about possible spring change when motor mount was replaced, if 64 springs or 63 car springs were installed it would sag much lower and have excessive negative camber.

Still running original springs? Have springs been checked to see if maybe they have broken a coil?

Rear camber is a function of spring ride height...

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Date: February 06, 2020 04:32PM

Springs do play into the camber issue but mounts make more difference than you would think. When I got my Lakewood it had a lot of camber. All I did was replace all 3 mounts and the tires are straight up and down now. Tires sit different at the fender lip by a good 1". The transmission mounts will make more difference than the rear mount since they are closer to the axles.
The main reason I blame the mounts is he said one was replaced and it helped for a while. I would guess the new mount is bad?

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: February 06, 2020 04:49PM

For an easy check, back the car up about 50 feet on pavement and stop. If the negative camber goes away, you have excessive rear wheel toe-out.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 04:51PM by Brizo.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 06, 2020 05:20PM

See if your toe shims are there or rusted away

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 07, 2020 12:46PM

I agree about the transmission mounts not being tight or warn out. The engine mount shares in stabilizing the transaxil and in turn the rear wheel toe.
With both Earlies and FC's I make sure all 3 mounts are secure before setting wheel toe with shims as needed. Springs can also be an issue, however I have found Early camber issues usually trace to a transaxil moving around making rear wheel toe completely unstable and rear wheels severely negative camber.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: rsschnell ()
Date: February 08, 2020 06:23PM

Thanks for the help. Wow, a lot of information to check next time he brings the car over. A little more background - I had the car for years with no problem, new owner is a little heavier, maybe 75 pounds, running 20 year old springs from Clarks and were similar to the old ones. Engine/trans has not been removed in 20 years either. First time I noticed it he had factory steel wheels, inside of both rear tires worn to steel. He since installed my old Kelsey-Hayes wires(when I also replaced the rear engine mount), and told me the other day he needs new tires on the rear. I will follow up with my findings in a couple weeks, with pictures, not really top-down weather lately.

Date: February 08, 2020 06:27PM

79 here last Sunday. Put some miles on the '64 convertible.
60s today and sunny.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 09, 2020 06:19AM

It seems like a good time to say that I never jack up the car by the powertrain as it could be bad for the 3 rubber mounts.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.