Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Napa batteries cheapish
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 05, 2020 12:02PM

Napa super Saturday is this weekend 30% off everything from 8-9am and they have a $20 gift card with purchase of their Legend battery. I'm not sure how good they are the oldest one I have is 4 years but it is still strong.
The gift card is only good at Napa of course.
I'm not sure all Napa stores do Super Saturday.
I've done several Napa rebates and never had an issue unlike a lot of other rebates.

[www.napaonline.com]

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Napa batteries cheapish
Posted by: mwr ()
Date: February 05, 2020 11:15PM

That's a good deal. I just bought a new battery and the ones I saw from Napa were manufactured by East Penn/Deka, so pretty nice.

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: February 06, 2020 04:31AM

I buy nothing but NAPA batteries, have had great luck with them

Gary Swiatowy

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: February 06, 2020 12:40PM

My experience with Napa batteries has been the opposite. I noticed a Napa battery that was only 18 months old at a swap meet. Even if the battery was no good I knew it had a lot of warranty left and for $3 and a long walk it was mine.

Turned out the battery was not recoverable. However the warranty remaining got me a new $89 battery for just $38. I barely got three years out of that well maintained battery and it too failed. Even though the warranty still had half its life left the previous $89 battery was now $124. and as the prorate went it would cost me..., yes, $89 to purchase a new battery.

Given that the first battery failed within 18 months, the second failed within 36 months, the Napa cost increase ($35 in 3 years) and deteriorating prorate I decide I'd try elsewhere. Typically I get about 7 years out of a battery and in a few cases upwards of 14 years.

Of late I've been using Costco Interstate batteries. From what I hear most every battery is made by one of two places in Mexico and the "Brand Name" is just a slapped on label.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 12:44PM by wittsend.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 06, 2020 12:53PM

Witt... why I buy Walmarts $48 1 yr, 100% REPLACEMENT guaranteed BATTERIES.

Going on year 3 on two of three.... so far..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 06, 2020 01:14PM

Nothing but the good Walmart ones for me for years. I'm often on the road with the motorhome and towed car. If one goes bad I'M NEVER more than a few miles from a Walmart. I get the Deep cycle from Sam's, same deal, loose one on the road, find the next Sam's.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: February 06, 2020 04:14PM

Well if there are only 2 manufacturers they sure make a lot of physically different batteries for ones in the same group #!
Even if there were only 2 nothing keeps different customers from buying different specification batteries.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: February 06, 2020 06:24PM

My apologetic correction. 'Two companies in Mexico' were something I read (but never verified) on another car site and I took it as fact. It seems that we (the USA) does import over 20 million lead batteries from Mexico a year. But, there are still manufactures that make them in the USA. Johnson Controls seemingly being the primary manufacture.
The article was more tariff oriented but also stated that 200 million lead batteries were imported from China recently. The article did not state if "Lead" batteries were all car batteries. While we do consume significant batteries from Mexico (and China) it does not seem to be the "two companies" I had read elsewhere.

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: February 06, 2020 06:32PM

swi66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I buy nothing but NAPA batteries, have had great luck with them
>
> Gary Swiatowy

I’m with Gary on this one. Last summer I replaced my eight year old mid-grade NAPA battery (6051R if I remember correctly) with their premium battery (7551R). It wasn’t dead yet, I just didn’t want to be stranded when it finally gave up the ghost.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 06, 2020 08:31PM

Here is the best list of who makes what.

[jgdarden.com]

Interesting to note, Interstate is a jobber of batteries made by someone else. So, Costco sells Interstate batteries made by a third party, not Interstate.eye popping smiley I use them also, with good results, and a good warranty. I also use Walmart, as they have more selection of types than Costco, like group 48. And Tractor Supply for 6 volt. So far I get 5 to 7 years from most of the Costco ones, others get replaced under the 42 month warranty!thumbs up No prorating.

Yes, customer of manufacturer can specify specifications....winking smiley That's how they get different price points/warranty periods.

Lots of lead acid batteries in UPSs, emergency lights, etc.

Two major manufacturers, and Deka (East Penn).

Around here battery core charges are state determined, not store determined.angry smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 07, 2020 09:27AM

Thank you for the comprehensive list and description. I think we can conclude that:

1. Not all American branded batteries are made in the USA.

2. Not all batteries sold through a common vendor respectively (Napa, Walmart, Costco etc.) are the same battery regardless of the labels being identical.

It is likely why some have had good and others bad experiences with what could have been assume as 'the same' battery.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: February 07, 2020 09:48AM

About 6 years ago when I worked in Denver at a shop we used Napa batteries. At that time Napa in the Denver metro was using Johnson controls for their supplier. We had more issues with those batteries before they switched to Penn manufacturing. It was the same with their rebuilt starters and alternators. Wasn’t uncommon to have units DOA right out of the box. I had a alternator I installed on a Ford truck. As soon as I connected the battery cable I welded the cable to the post. Kinda freaked me out having a battery explode in my face at the beginning of my career.
My biggest issue with batteries is leaking between the post and the case making a mess of things and ruining cables. Seems like the AGM batteries are the most leak resistant. Others are hit and miss.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Date: February 07, 2020 10:46AM

x2 on leaking around the posts. I only have a couple of top posts that don't. One Napa and one from Sam's Duracell I think.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.