Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fan Bearing. New from Clarks or an old one from my stash?
Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: February 03, 2020 05:59AM

Ok, so my Corsa 140 started the ghostly whoo last year and I have been greasing to try and save. Well in the cold it has started to scream above 2500. It goes away after warmed up but I know it is just a matter of time, My question is what is your experience with the new bearings? Im tempted to put a used one that spins freely from my stash. Thinking of doing this not because I'm cheap but because I fear the quality of a potential new bearing failing in short order, I know the quality of overseas replacement parts can be questionable. Grease up an old one and drive on, or order a new one? Whats your experience? I have just witnessed a friend go through repeated ball joint replacements on his Dodge truck. The only ones he can get are from China and they are only lasting a year. Not really looking forward to doing this again a year down the road, I know it is possible the used one may fail just as rapidly but it may also outlast some low quality overseas junk. Anyone running a new bearing and how are they lasting?

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fan Bearing. New from Clarks or an old one from my stash?
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 03, 2020 07:17AM

I have used new ones from Clark's many times over the years on many customers cars. have never had a failure yet. A used bearing from your stash should NOT spin freely. If it does it is worn out or at least dry. It should be smooth to turn nd tight vertically but should not "spin" at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: February 03, 2020 07:45AM

Thanks Ted. I should have been more specific. I should have said “not seized” like a few I have instead of “spins free”. Thank you.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: February 03, 2020 08:09AM

Soak in hot oil to infuse the grease inside the cavity. NOS grease gets waxy.

Crawford Rose

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 03, 2020 03:35PM

Soaking in hot oil is an interesting idea. Getting some grease in without blowing the seal out can be a tricky.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 04, 2020 06:07AM

Many times I have picked a good sounding bearing to use and then get a shot or two of grease into it. Keep in mind that you do have to deform the seal edge on top so the grease can get in. It doesn't take much and then you have to go slow.

As far the new bearings I don't think it is the quality of the bearings but rather the quality and quantity of the grease installed. With new bearings I remove the seals, clean and then put in my Amsoil grease with no failures that I know of of the ones I have done.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: February 04, 2020 07:53AM

A useful way to get oil into the fan bearing is to heat it up in a oven [ 250 Degrees or so ] and then plunge it into a jar or can of oil.
This will create a vacuum in the grease cavity and suck the oil into it as it cools.
I would use a good grade of synthetic gear oil.
YOMV

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 05, 2020 07:04AM

This is exactly why I've gone to using exclusively replaceable bearings, like the cartridge ones American Pi sells, also through Clark's. The ones I have were made by Orville Ellison many years ago. The same idea, just a little different construction. They can be changed in less than 30 minutes on the side of the road, if necessary, with only a 1/4" socket set and a phillips screw driver. And they use commonly available alternator bearings.

-Mark

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 07, 2020 01:13PM

Noel,
It sounds like you isolated the bearing noise. However I like to use a mechanics stethoscope to pin point bearing noise.
As for your fan bearing. if it is making noise, there is possible wear issues that a shot of grease cannot repair.
A good used bearing that is not too free or binding can also be checked with the stethoscope. A shot of grease may be all it needs for years of service, depending on how many miles in a year one travels.
Of course New is always an option.

New bearings.... I have not bought one in years. I stocked up with Early and Late fan bearings when John Deere still had stock of original American made New Departure bearings. That lasted about a year or so after bearing warehouses could not get the old USA made bearings.

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.