Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone Install cable to electric speedo converter for electric speedo ?
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: January 25, 2020 10:55AM

I'm thinking of using an Intellitronix Speedometer Sending Unit S9013 to convert from a cable driven speedo to a new electric model- Is it a good idea or am I just going to have other issues besides the normal speedo cable issues? I really don't want to spring for a GPS unit and would hope to avoid putting my 54-year-old speedo back in. But I am interested in all opinions and advice. thanks in advance. Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone Install cable to electric speedo converter for electric speedo ?
Posted by: racingguy2 ()
Date: January 25, 2020 11:11AM

I've used several in Porsches and never had an issue. Much more reliable, easier to install, and accurate. I'll never go back to cable driven!

The only client "failure" I had come back was a guy pressure washed the harness at just the wrong spot and pulled the wire connector off. Easy fix, just zip tie a loop of the wire to the sender. Heat shrink tubing is your friend...

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 25, 2020 12:25PM

Phil - The Intellitronix S9013 is backwards from what you want for a late model Corvair. It is intended to mount onto the standard transmission, in place of the outbound drive cable to the dash. It will provide a VSS-type signal (Hall effect, pulse) to the speedo. On the late model Vair, the left front wheel drive cable is not standard, it is designed to slide through the spindle and engage the drive in the cap on the hub. You might be able to find a drive that the stock Corvair cable (at the speedo) will engage, mount it under the dash where the cable lives and put out a pulsed signal to the speedo. I have two of almost that same thing - from Dakota Digital, in this case just a magnetic pulse out, These will mount onto the cable, but the speedos seem to want a Hall effect signal. (I think it is a square-wave signal) and are not responding to the sine-wave output of these. Perhaps there is a similar unit that puts out the Hall-effect signal. (The Hall-type sensors have three wires, power, ground, signal - I believe) The alternative is a GPS driver. Intellitronix (as well as others) makes and sells these. A true GPS antenna needs a signal modifier to drive a speedo, but there are several units designed directly to feed the speedometer. Intellitronix S 9021 is their unit to do this. I have one of those sitting here at the moment. It is more expensive than the S9013.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: January 25, 2020 12:50PM

Thanks to all - Now I'm really confused-- Seth are you saying there aren't any adapters to allow me to mount the converter under the dash? Other than either retaining old speedo (zero $) or going GPS (+$400) are there any in-between options- I'm already looking at about $400 for new gauges without including a new speedo.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: January 25, 2020 02:30PM

To convert a sine-wave signal to a square-wave for a cruise control I used an ignition module out of an old GM HEI dist. That converts the sine-wave out of the pick up coil to a on-off (square-wave) to run the coil. Seth maybe you have an ignition module laying around that you could give this a try?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: January 25, 2020 03:19PM

I removed the stock speedo and cable and installed a GPS speedo on my 65 Corsa. The GPS receiver is about 1" square and maybe 1/4" tall. I mounted it on my dash behind the steering wheel. The speedo mounts where the original gauge was using a dash adapter from Seth. Looks good, works great !

Alec

Date: January 25, 2020 04:03PM

AlecCarlson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I removed the stock speedo and cable and installed a GPS speedo on my 65 Corsa. The GPS receiver is about 1" square and maybe 1/4" tall. I mounted it on my dash behind the steering wheel. The speedo mounts where the original gauge was using a dash adapter from Seth. Looks good, works great !
>
> Alec
I think this is where I'm headed-- what brand speedo did you use?

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: January 26, 2020 09:48AM

The sensor part of my electronic speedometer from Classic Industries.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Attachments:

Date: January 26, 2020 02:56PM

For my GPS speedometer, I bought the following Speedometer:... Summit Racing Speedo

And I bought the following GPS Sending Unit:... Summit Racing GPS Sending Unit

Here is where I have the GPS receiver mounted:

My bluetooth phone microphone is mounted next to the GPS receiver.

If you buy this sending unit and you want to mount the GPS receiver where I have mine mounted - there is a problem. The receiver is connected to the GPS control box by a long cable. You can't disconnect it - a really poor design IMHO. To make this work, I had to cut the cable, pass the cut end through the grill and then reconnect the 2 ends under the dash. A PITA for sure but necessary in order to mount it where I have it. A different sending unit may not have this problem - check that it'll work for you before you buy it...

Alec

Date: January 26, 2020 03:43PM

MonzaDave Wrote:
> The sensor part of my electronic speedometer from Classic Industries.

Dave, Is that an adapter that attaches to the dash end of the speedo cable and converts mechanical to electric signal for electric speedo? If so, what, where, and how much? that looks like it solves the $400 GPS speedo problem.

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: January 26, 2020 07:25PM

MonzaDave Wrote:
> The sensor part of my electronic speedometer from Classic Industries.

Oops, Classic Instruments SN16C. The picture on their website looks a bit different, but the current one is probably "new-and-improved". Call them, they were very helpful.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 07:27PM by MonzaDave.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: January 27, 2020 03:20AM

RexJohnson Wrote:
> To convert a sine-wave signal to a square-wave for a cruise control I used an ignition module out of an old GM HEI dist. That converts the sine-wave out of the pick up coil to a on-off (square-wave) to run the coil. Seth maybe you have an ignition module laying around that you could give this a try?

BTW, This should be the configuration to do the conversion. Pin C would be the square wave.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2020 03:21AM by toms73novass.

Attachments:
Date: January 27, 2020 03:42AM

pvholgado Wrote:
> ... that looks like it solves the $400 GPS speedo problem.

My GPS speedo and GPS receiver only cost me $170...

Alec

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 27, 2020 06:17AM

I used the VDO GPS receiver and the VDO 437052 speedometer. Both from Amazon for around $290. It works great unless you're going under a bridge. Hardest part is dealing with the alt/fan light but I made a post a while back how to solve that.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Date: January 27, 2020 06:29AM

VDO gauge picture.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa

Attachments:
Date: January 27, 2020 08:28AM

jetcat Wrote:
> VDO gauge picture.

Bob, I want to do a dash like yours- I have the Westach dual CHT and love the VDO gauges -- But I can't find anyone stocking the VDO tach with the adjustable redline- some questions I have are: how did you deal with Volt/gen light?
How did you extend CHT leads to the dash-- just reg. 20ga wire? What connectors did you use to CHT as from the back of the gauge they look like a "special" type.
If you can shoot me a PM I'd appreciate it.

Phil

Date: January 27, 2020 12:32PM

The tachometer is available from California Import Parts (located in BC Canada).

CIP

I'll PM you after work.....

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 28, 2020 10:18PM

Phil - Look on the left side of the Speedo "tube" in Bob's photo. Then at the right side of the tachometer "tube". I think he added the lights here. On my dash, I added an oil pressure gauge, So I added the oil pressure light on the side of the oil pressure gauge. If it comes on, it will get my attention and I will be looking right at the pressure gauge. (trying to keep it simple.) see photo

PS - According to Classic Instruments, their P/N SN16VW is set for a cable input and should fit the late Corvair. It is a Hall effect unit. VDO has a good description of hooking it up to their Speedometer. Check their web site.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 29, 2020 03:52AM

I installed the Speedhut Speedbox in my 63 V8 Rampside that still has the stock speedometer.

It's a bit pricey but was the perfect solution for the V8 Rampside!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: January 29, 2020 09:23AM

ihscomputers Wrote:
> I installed the Speedhut Speedbox in my 63 V8 Rampside that still has the stock speedometer.
>
> It's a bit pricey but was the perfect solution for the V8 Rampside!

I see, but this is the opposite of what I wanted to do- I want to turn my mechanical cable into an electric signal to run a modern electric speedo- But thanks for the info.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.