Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
2nd head temp gauge
Posted by: corvair6773 ()
Date: January 18, 2020 05:53AM

I've got several Corsa dashes and will likely put one in my 66 140 4spd. I've never quite understood the benefit of the manifold gauge for a 140, and wonder if I should just install 2 head temps. Anyone done this? Is the Does the 2nd head have the same threaded spot for a thermister? Is there a real advantage to knowing the temps of each side?

Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2nd head temp gauge
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 18, 2020 05:56AM

Yes there is a real advantage. Since the sides don't share a common intake fuel mixture problems can cause one side to get hot and not the other.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: January 18, 2020 09:27AM

I mounted my dual CHT gauges below the ash try. They are compensated thermocouple gauges from Speed Hut.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 18, 2020 09:35AM

I found the clock to be useless as I store my car with the battery disconnected and got tired of resetting it, not to mention the old clocks aren't that accurate.

I prefer the two temp gauges next to each other, Left for engine head on drivers and side right (original gauge) for head on passenger side. Yes it requires changing the wiring.

The clock hole in the back of the bezel is large so you have to make a plate to mount the new temperature gauge to the bezel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 09:41AM by 66vairman.

Attachments:
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 18, 2020 10:35AM

I got a dual CHT for my race car. Looks great and you get to dump that superfluous vacuum gauge.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 18, 2020 01:19PM

Ive got Two in the Racer

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 18, 2020 02:17PM

The hole in the right side cylinder head that, on the left side, is occupied by the thermister, has the over-temp snap switch mounted in it. If you wanted to mount another Thermister in it you could - That is what the dual stock gauge buys above have done. Maybe you could relocate the snap switch. Another option is the Westach dual gauge that has two inputs. (Yeah, Dave, it isn't junction compensated) but you really want comparative readings. If, all of a sudden one side starts reading hotter than normal, time to look for issues. Just like a stock gauge. And yes, the clock and the manifold pressure gauge are pretty useless. I would like an oil pressure gauge instead. Mike needed the oil temp for his race car. Not quite as important on a street car. The Westech dual gauge looks like this:

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 18, 2020 03:57PM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The hole in the right side cylinder head that, on the left side, is occupied by the thermister, has the over-temp snap switch mounted in it. If you wanted to mount another Thermister in it you could - That is what the dual stock gauge buys above have done. Maybe you could relocate the snap switch. Another option is the Westach dual gauge that has two inputs. (Yeah, Dave, it isn't junction compensated) but you really want comparative readings.

Good point Seth - If the temp gauge uses a thermal couple you can get the ring type and put it under the snap switch on EACH head. Wire both snap switches in parallel and if either closes the overtemp warning light illuminates. Nice to have warning lamp AND temp. gauge functions on each head.

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 18, 2020 05:08PM

The first version I did was set up with the Westach ring type thermocouples under the snap switch in both heads. Snap switches wire or'ed together to the idiot light. Later, I went to the probe type thermocouple and it read about 25° hotter. More accurate than the ring terminals at that location but I guess it's relative. Snap switches mounted on a aluminium block held to the head by the probe thermocouple. Won't work on a Turbo or 140 head though.

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seth Emerson Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > The hole in the right side cylinder head that, on the left side, is occupied by the thermister, has the over-temp snap switch mounted in it. If you wanted to mount another Thermister in it you could - That is what the dual stock gauge buys above have done. Maybe you could relocate the snap switch. Another option is the Westach dual gauge that has two inputs. (Yeah, Dave, it isn't junction compensated) but you really want comparative readings.
>
> Good point Seth - If the temp gauge uses a thermal couple you can get the ring type and put it under the snap switch on EACH head. Wire both snap switches in parallel and if either closes the overtemp warning light illuminates. Nice to have warning lamp AND temp. gauge functions on each head.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.