Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Camaro Koni Shocks
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: January 17, 2020 12:15PM

Joelsplace is posing what should have been my original question, but my lack of knowledge prevented that. Thank you! My thinking was, with the adjustability of the Konis, coupled with the two cars being fairly close in weight, I thought it might be a cheaper alternative component for a high performance suspension. Some have suggested swapping the Camaro shocks from back to front and from front to back and pressing the Corvair bushing components into them along with spacers. However, without any data, I found it confusing, hence the post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 17, 2020 01:22PM

Keep it coming jazzworkerbee...we appreciate your input!!!

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 17, 2020 01:59PM

You cannot swap Camaro shocks from front to back, they are different lengths, I believe the rear gas Adjust KYB shocks the vendors sell are in fact Camaro shocks, What I have found is you want the KYB Excel-G low pressure shocks on the front and the KYB Gas-Adjust high pressure gas charged shock on the rear to handle the weight of the drive train in the rear, I have found the high pressure KYB on the front too stiff and makes the front end push in hard corners, the softer KYB works better in the front, I do have a set of re valved KONI's and they work very well, but the KYB's are almost as good and a lot cheaper, CA vairs sells the fronts with the lower mount already changed to become a bolt on unit, for $210 for all 4 its kind of a no brainer for me.

Front: [californiacorvairparts.com]

Rear: [californiacorvairparts.com]

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 17, 2020 02:14PM

If you are looking for what you have called, "High Performance Suspension", then tear it ALL out and build 100% custom.
BUT, if you are going that route, then you might as well install an LS engine, and a Porsche rear-end!
But then, you do not have a REAL Corvair anymore. sad smiley
You would be driving something that looks like a Corvair, but shares none of the true Heritage of what these wonderful little Beasties are all about!
I learned a Loooong time ago, that no matter how much $$$ you put into a car, there is ALWAYS going to be someone out there who is determined to put a larger and more ridiculous amount into theirs just because their warped ego demands it of them.
Whether it be Body and Paint, or Speed and Handling, someone just has to outdo you.
It is the main reason that we have Judged Car Shows, you know.
We have an entire industry built around our cars just waiting to take your hard earned $$$ to help you attain that goal of ultimate ego satisfaction!
Just look at S.E.M.A. eye rolling smiley
Since everyone and their brother Father seem to being giving their $o.o2, I will add my thoughts into this discussion.
Considering that there is ALWAYS someone better equipped out there than you, I drive my cars for my enjoyment, not for the sole purpose of humiliating others, That is not saying that I do not get ANY fun out of (ahem) passing another car on the road.
It is just not my sole purpose in owning a Corvair.
Personally, I can have fun driving ANY vehicle!
It is all about learning it limitations, accepting its limitations, and then driving THE DAYLIGHTS out of said vehicle within those limitations!
I used to have a ball driving my bosses 1-TON dually flatbed with a manual transmission all over Highways 101, 199, and, 299 in Northern Cal. as a kid.
I would push that thing between the Redwoods, and through those canyon curves like it was the worlds largest Porsche! grinning smiley
While it may have exotic, and some say almost "Italian Styling", I have always looked at a Corvair as more along the lines of an older English Sports Car, rather than a European Super Car.
The Corvairs strong suit is its already great handling, rather than it massive V8 power possessed by other cars from the sixties.
They were made for carving the curves more than winning drags.
If you are going to be driving tight and twisties through the hills, then you are looking in the right direction to be tuning-up your Handling.
BUT that being said, you do NOT need to be going right out and dumping a TON of $$$ right away!
While a lot of people swap out springs, I have never truly seen car springs wear out.
Trucks that haul heavy loads? Yes, their springs fatigue.
If you want a slight drop, and a bit tighter spring rate, do like stated, and just cut one loop off of the springs that you already have.
If you must have "Performance Shocks", then do as others have said, and purchase the KYB shocks recommended by Davemotohead.
The next Thing I would look at is something that no one has mentioned yet, unless I was not paying attention.
TIRES ! ! !
Since you say that, you are a "fairly new owner", I would concentrate on THOROUGHLY learning the car as it was made first, then advance to improving it.
In my not so humble opinion, tires are going to be your #1 factor in handling improvement, at least to begin with.
What is on the car now?
If you still have 13 inch rims, and want Performance Handling, ditch those 13's like they were last months old milk!
You NEED at least 15' inch rims with some lower profile tires.
Many around here have installed much larger rims, so we know that they WILL fit.
Rims, and new shocks!
Than I would drive your Corvair and learn it's limits.
AND it's quirks, and strengths ! ! !
Then you have a true Baseline to judge ALL future modifications against.
Again, just my opinion, and I am sure that many will disagree with me.
Sorry everyone, did not meant to be a j3M wanabe.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 17, 2020 02:41PM

Looks like A-Mel paraphrased J3M!!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 17, 2020 02:59PM

Yes, it was long, BUT, I did not say that, . . . . .
Corvairs SUCK!
They are unreliable!
or that,
They will only run IF you install Ted Brown's TBI!

By the way Matt,
How is it possible to paraphrase something that was never written? eye rolling smiley confused smiley

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 17, 2020 04:16PM

AMel's post is on topic and helpful. Both of those qualities disqualify it from J3M status.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 17, 2020 04:51PM

Are you using "talk to text", or really typing this stuff?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 05:09PM by MattNall.

Date: January 17, 2020 05:24PM

I am old school.
I manually input everything.
Sadly, I only "Hunt & Peck", so it takes me forever!
Since you refer to it as "this stuff", I have to assume that you do not think very highly of what I write.
Sorry to have wasted your time, J.O.
I am only trying to be helpful to a person who is new to our beloved Cars.

Seeing that it has been edited by Matt, I question whether it originally said "stuff". sad smiley

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 17, 2020 05:33PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am old school.
> I manually input everything.
> Sadly, I only "Hunt & Peck", so it takes me forever!
> Since you refer to it as "this stuff", I have to assume that you do not think very highly of what I write.
> Sorry to have wasted your time, J.O.
> I am only trying to be helpful to a person who is new to our beloved Cars.
>
> Seeing that it has been edited by Matt, I question whether it originally said "stuff". sad smiley

I read the entire thing Mel, "STUFF" is a widely used word here on the east coast, not good or bad, it means a lot of things, In this case info.. I was wondering if you had to yell into the mike to get bold LOL

When I think someone is full of BS like the Californian I let them know.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: January 17, 2020 05:34PM

American Mel Wrote:

> Seeing that it has been edited by Matt, I question whether it originally said "stuff". sad smiley

=======================================================

Where do you see that I edited it?

Thinking about it you sound more like BBBBBBbodie on the CF!! GGGG

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 17, 2020 05:46PM

I figured I'd ask since this is such a "shocking" thread. I've pulled KYB shocks from Corvair's at Pick Your Part for the 25 years my Lakewood has sat wait a new life.

I have a set of KYB GR-2's 343127 which seems a correct number for the front. I have a second set that look very similar but have a part number of 344047 the application for these are a Dodge/Mitsubishi D-50 mini pick ups from 1979-1996. Did I get them off a Corvair??? Who knows,it was a LONG time ago. They are all good, no leaks and hold their gas charge..., and at $4.00 each, I couldn't resist.

Below are the specs from KYB for the Corvair replacements (343127) and the Dodge/Mitsubishi shocks (344047). I'm just curious if anyone is familiar with them? Ever used them?

Pt.# Extend Comp. Stroke
343127 13.58 8.66 4.92
344047 13.98 8.86 5.12

Lastly I pulled a standard type shocks off a Corvair (rear), no manufacture label with a number of A-75 H5D 78. I can't find anything on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 05:47PM by wittsend.

Date: January 17, 2020 05:49PM

I see. smiling bouncing smiley
Well, that just proves what I have always said, written text is hard to interpret "tone of voice".
I guess I was just being defensive, and misinterpreted what you said.
My apologies. sad smiley
As for Matt, if you look directly under the picture in J.O.'s sigline, it plainly says,
"Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 06:09PM by MattNall." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 17, 2020 06:16PM

wittsend Wrote:
Pt.# Extend Comp. Stroke
343127 13.58 8.66 4.92
344047 13.98 8.86 5.12

mitsu shock / 047 has a longer Extended length... allows more rear wheel tuck.

Put them up front!

Date: January 17, 2020 06:20PM

American Mel Wrote:
if you look directly under the picture in J.O.'s sigline, it plainly says,
> "Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 06:09PM by MattNall."

===========================================================

My Grammarly showed an incomplete word.... so I changed it for my "Bud"

Date: January 17, 2020 06:20PM

MattNall Wrote:
> wittsend Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Pt.# Extend Comp. Stroke
> 343127 13.58 8.66 4.92
> 344047 13.98 8.86 5.12
>
>
>
> mitsu shock / 047 has a longer Extended length... allows more rear wheel tuck.
>
> Put them up front!

Wheel Tuck, on an LM? confused smiley

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 17, 2020 06:59PM

"Wheel Tuck, on an LM?"

"I've pulled KYB shocks from Corvair's at Pick Your Part for the 25 years my Lakewood has sat wait a new life."

Hope that clear things up.

Date: January 17, 2020 07:08PM

wittsend Wrote:
> "Wheel Tuck, on an LM?"
>
> "I've pulled KYB shocks from Corvair's at Pick Your Part for the 25 years my Lakewood has sat wait a new life."
>
> Hope that clear things up.

Ah, Thanks!
I was going by the opening post of this thread.
'65 Turbo Corsa.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 18, 2020 06:10AM

All this brings up another point. If the shock is being installed in a position where it limits travel it must have internal top out bumpers. I installed an early version of the Gas a just on my 63 rear back in the early 90s. They blew out as soon as I raised the rear and they topped out. KYB replaced them with some that had the bumpers.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 18, 2020 06:43AM

"Shocking"

Edited 147 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 06:45am by MattNall.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.