Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Camaro Koni Shocks
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: January 16, 2020 03:37PM

Fairly new owner, first time poster. I know I may kick over a hornet's nest, but necessity is a mother and I need some help... Basically, I have a 65 Corsa Turbo that I'm modding with a Weber 45 DCOE progressive from American Pi, electronic ignition (MSD or SafeGuard), waste gate, electric fuel pump and dual master & disc brakes. I want a set of HD springs and Koni shocks, but the Corvair specific ones from Clark's are way out of my price range, so I'd like to look into using a set for a first generation Camaro (67-69) that can be found for less than $300. I have seen in a few places where guys have discussed the swap, but nothing definitive. My question is, how practical is it to buy a set of Camaro shocks, press out the corvair bushings and press them into the new shocks? Thanks ahead for any help that anyone has to offer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Camaro Koni Shocks
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 16, 2020 03:44PM

You'd be buying a top of the line performance shock, with special valving tuned for the Camaro, and putting it on the wrong car.

It's just my opinion, but you'd be better off buying regular corvair shocks, if that was your plan.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota / Corvanatics
61 Rampside, 66 Monza AC Vert, 66 AutoX Car, Manx Vair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 16, 2020 03:52PM

WELCOME!!!

Where are you located?

jazzworkerbee
Basically, I have a 65 Corsa Turbo that I'm modding with a Weber 45 DCOE progressive from American Pi, electronic ignition (MSD or SafeGuard), waste gate, electric fuel pump and dual master & disc brakes.

But you don't have the money for proper shocks?

Date: January 16, 2020 04:02PM

Tacoma, Wa, but my car comes from Long Beach, CA and was built in the LA plant.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 16, 2020 04:16PM

The question to you is how are you going to drive the car? Are you going to autocross or do track days?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: January 16, 2020 04:23PM

Phil,

Basically, I don't have $1,000 for shocks and springs. The Weber was almost free and the car was too. It belonged to a guy I used to play music with a long time ago who had a stroke and couldn't drive it anymore.

Ken,

I may want to try to autocross it in the future, but mostly I want to have some spirited fun on the curvy, two lane roads of western Washington.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2020 04:32PM by jazzworkerbee.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 16, 2020 04:40PM

Start out cutting a coil from your springs to lower/stiffen the car and KYB gas-adjust shocks. PLUS quick steering arms. You can always add or change as you get used to the car and you may find the above suggestions work fairly well. It does here in the mountains west of Denver for many.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 16, 2020 06:49PM

I have had some good fun with stock suspensioned Corvairs!

As steve says cut 1 coil to lower and stiffen the springs add a small sway bar to the rear and then add a larger front aftermarket bar. Those two things will take you farther in the handling than buying springs and shocks.

You can test your shocks on the car, just do the bounce test. Get either end bouncing as much as you can and then let go on the down push, then count how many oscillations you get. On the front it should do no more than come up, go down and then settle on the up. On the rear it should be the same but may have one more small up and settle down. Anything more than that and you probably should think about replacing shocks.

I used to think that gas shocks were the way to go, lately I have been doing some reading and the straight hydraulic shock does what it is supposed to. If you want handling it doesn't come from the shocks.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2020 09:35PM by MattNall.

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: January 16, 2020 07:04PM

welcome to the ccf and don't worry about kicking the hornet's nest just don't mention anything about more affordable jack stands. L. O. L

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Date: January 16, 2020 07:05PM

Good ideas Ken. I think most 'enthusiastic' drivers have their own ideas of what can be added or modified. Most does not require tons of money at once.
Just enjoy having fun with your car as you become familiar with it.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: January 17, 2020 01:34AM

One more thought: budget for tires and wheels plus some brake mods as you explore the limits of the cornering abilities of Corvairs. Good luck and enjoy the car.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: January 17, 2020 03:01AM

We really like pictures o Corvairs...please post.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 17, 2020 05:09AM

My buddy had a computer program I used when selecting springs where we entered all the corner weights, suspension arm lengths, etc. I then took those specifications along with my mounting length and how the ends needed to be to a local QA1 racing shock guy who selected shocks and made a guess at compression and rebound valving. It all ended up costing less than Konis but took some time. I was happy with the result but it's a road racing car.

I go the long way around the block in order to say that given the specifications Camaro shocks would probably be all wrong for a Corvair, the weight distribution being the first glaring difference and most other things after that. If doing some real suspension tuning for better results, there's a lot of differences, a shock is not just a shock.

Hopefully some more folks will post with information regarding what specifically works for them.

It's good news that someone's doing something with a turbo Corsa that's just been sitting. The waste gate is especially interesting to me but I digress O/T.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 17, 2020 07:15AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! A little more context--The stock shocks and springs are shot, so I figure, if I'm going to have to have to replace them, I might as well upgrade. I have read a few positive things about Camaro shock swaps, but nothing definitive. Therefore, I wanted a little more information because they're so much cheaper than what Clark's offers. I will buy some things from them, but not everything. I'm not trying impress anyone or do anything radical other than keep up with the .com-er, Alfa owners (who have more dollars than sense) in the hills around here. If I can do that and spend 1/10th of what they spend on their cars, I'll be a happy man!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: January 17, 2020 07:31AM

You should join the local Corvair club in Seattle area they will be of good help to you and you can have fun with your car at their events. Also probably someone has used springs laying around just looking for a new home.

In regard to shocks again please note the valving is wrong for a Corvair and the shocks will not swap end for end. Buy Corvair specific shocks.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 17, 2020 08:47AM

With totally wrong valving they may be worse than worn out shocks. Use the KYB Gas-a-just. They are a lot less money and will also have the wrong valving since they are what fits and not made specifically for the Corvair. Maybe try the new Clark's gas shocks that are supposed to be made for the Corvair. Does anyone know if they are actually designed for Corvairs or just made to fit?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Date: January 17, 2020 10:30AM

I have 82-94 Yellow Koni's on the back of my white car and Dad has them on the back of his LS1 v8.

They work great and can be found for $199 a pair shipped.

Since they aren't "proper" I was only able to get 2nd fastest at last years national convention.

Lots of keyboard rangers on here, careful.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 17, 2020 10:44AM

If you do want a pair of the 82-94 yellow Camaro Konis - single external adjustables, I have a used pair available (off my Camaro) $90 + shipping.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: January 17, 2020 11:25AM

There is an old saying in racing.

"Second place is first place loser"

I stand buy my original statement.

Buy shocks designed for a Corvair.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 17, 2020 11:58AM

Huge amounts of money is spent on shock development for motorcycles, race cars, production cars etc. I guess they are just stupid and should just put anything on that fits.
I'm sure there are guys on here that could out run me with no shocks. What does that prove about what equipment is better?
If the track is smooth it doesn't matter much as long as they do some damping. How many tracks are that smooth?
I guess a question that would be more helpful to the OP is Does Koni actually tune the valving for specific applications or is it just a quality shock that has enough adjustment that it works better than others that are available? If that is the case then the Camero one would be as good as the Corvair specific ones.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.