Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 15, 2020 05:35AM

I know a lot on here will not read this because it contains the word "STATS". Sometime the word STATS/FACTS just does not register with them.This is from a couple of sources. The first contains U S Gov stats about non collusion auto accidents.


In Depth: Most Common Car-Related Injuries

At nearly 150,000 incidents per year, injuries caused by a closing door are the most common auto-related injury, according to a report released yesterday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The report evaluated the type and amount of non-traffic-related injuries nationwide, the first time the government agency has compiled such data.
Along with those 150,000 people who injured themselves closing a car door, another 10,000 each year are seriously injured when using a jack or other type of hoist. A full 74,000 are injured by a falling vehicle or vehicle part.

Behind the Numbers

Data for the report were compiled by the NHTSA, the traffic arm of the U.S. Department of Transportation. They were collected primarily through police reports in 2007, death certificates and the number of fatalities registered by the Not-in-Traffic Surveillance system, a virtual data collector of details regarding nontraffic crashes nationwide.

With this STAT...I did my own investigation, of the 74,000 that are injured by a falling car or part, 63,000 eliminating 10,000 from jacks. I went to all of those folks and talked with them but one. What I found in ALL of those accidents where cars fell on them, they ALL were using 2 Concrete block with a 2X at 4 points supporting the car...NO JACK STANDS WERE FOUND IN ANY OF THOSE GARAGES/ACCIDENTS. That was the problem causing 62,999 of the cars falling.

After discovering that STAT, I did call a BLOCK ENGINEER AT OLD CASTLE, they manufacture concrete block for 4 states, NC, SC, TN, KY. Here is what the ENGINEER told me.

The last COMPRESSION TEST, which consists of sending 8 concrete block to the testing site, all 8 averaged 3130 psi EACH. The lowest COMPRESSION TEST showed the weakest block would support 3080 psi( pounds) before failure. In other words, one block by its self would support our corvairs.I then asked him if I set up my supporting method, would he crawl under my car...his answer was YES, but he added I use jack stands at home. I told him I also use jack stands, with jacks as a back up only if I am going to be working for one day or so. But told him not long ago, I had bought a Roger Parent carb linkage to use on my 140 engine. My Corvair was up on my blocks for 6 weeks installing the linkage, one day I was under the car over 20 times.( I had changed back to stock 3 times, I had emailed Roger with detailed photos of my installation and he found the linkage installed correctly. The primary carbs on full throttle opened 1/2 way and the secondaries 1/4 way with both linkages. I finally discovered the problem but it took 6 weeks to do so, with me under the car several times a day. The problem was something from Clarks that caused the problem.)

Anyway...interesting STATS AND FACTS for every Corvair owner to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: January 15, 2020 05:56AM

When I lived in Texas, the Houston Chronicle did a story on the color of cars which get stopped the most for speeding. They used open records requests to local and state PDs. Who gets the most speeding tickets (at least in Texas) - it’s not red cars... take a guess...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: January 15, 2020 06:22AM

red monza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I did my own investigation, of the 74,000 that are injured by a falling car or part, 63,000 eliminating 10,000 from jacks. I went to all of those folks and talked with them but one. What I found in ALL of those....

Just to be clear, you talked to 63,000 people who were involved in accidents? That how that reads, I am just curious. Not being critical.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 15, 2020 06:51AM

AlecCarlson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I lived in Texas, the Houston Chronicle did a story on the color of cars which get stopped the most for speeding. They used open records requests to local and state PDs. Who gets the most speeding tickets (at least in Texas) - it’s not red cars... take a guess...


Yellow?

David Clamp


1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 15, 2020 09:57AM

red monza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know a lot on here will not read this because it contains the word "STATS". Sometime the word STATS/FACTS just does not register with them.This is from a couple of sources. The first contains U S Gov stats about non collusion auto accidents.
----------------------------------------------
It is customary to include a link to the source the data was Quoted from for us Non Stat / Fact Registered challenged Corvair guys can read it for ourselves, Source link?
-------------------------------------------------------

> With this STAT...I did my own investigation, of the 74,000 that are injured by a falling car or part, 63,000 eliminating 10,000 from jacks. I went to all of those folks and talked with them but one. What I found in ALL of those accidents where cars fell on them, they ALL were using 2 Concrete block with a 2X at 4 points supporting the car...NO JACK STANDS WERE FOUND IN ANY OF THOSE GARAGES/ACCIDENTS. That was the problem causing 62,999 of the cars falling.
------------------------------------------
So you interviewed these people in less than a week? Or the Source you failed to provide a link for did? Also, 10,000 were crushed by their car using concrete blocks? leaving 62,999 being crushed from other sources of support? And you are just assuming those were jack stands that failed as there is no mention of what failed that was supporting the car, (Could be anything) That is why when presenting Stats and Facts that some of us have a hard time registering in our brains a link to the source is always a good idea! smoking smiley







1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 09:59AM by davemotohead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 15, 2020 10:01AM

All I can say is ask an OSHA agent as to whether a concrete or cinder block is acceptable for supporting a vehicle. You will most likely be laughed off the phone or escorted out of the office with them thinking that you are messing with them.
What you are doing is not only wasting band width but making yourself look like a raving lunatic who won't accept that you are wrong.
I have been working in the automotive industry in various capacities over the last 30+ years including technician, service manager, service writer, technical/expert witness. You will not find ANY licensed repair shop that will use a concrete or cinder block to support a vehicle.
I can guarantee that if an OSHA representative showed up and you have a car in the shop supported on one that you would be fined faster than you can blink.

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 15, 2020 10:17AM

Here are some other sources of support, unless the Source states the 62,000 other Deaths or Injuries were specifically related to Jack stand failure, it could be from anything supporting the car, and we have all seen "Other methods of supporting a car!" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out







1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 15, 2020 10:20AM

drinking smiley







1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 15, 2020 10:24AM

drinking smiley







1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 15, 2020 11:04AM

This went from a safety warning to a comedy routine!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: January 15, 2020 11:33AM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> drinking smiley

First two are sketchy but the last one? I’m sure the tank is full of fuel, so it’s safe… he has two support points, i.e. primary and secondary, AND he is using a wheel chock.… so, he is clearly a professional !



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 11:34AM by JerryM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 15, 2020 01:05PM

> The last COMPRESSION TEST, which consists of sending 8 concrete block to the testing site, all 8 averaged 3130 psi EACH. The lowest COMPRESSION TEST showed the weakest block would support 3080 psi( pounds) before failure.



8 Test blocks do not make a reliable sample size. 85% of statistics are made up on the spot, anyway.


Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Inspection and Quality Engineer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 15, 2020 01:10PM

Red, if you are going to TROLL people, at least make it SOUND plausible! hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
.
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 15, 2020 02:46PM

The radio station I listen to here I florida 9.43 had a host a few years ago that would say, "Don't let the facts hold you back from telling a good story"

Dave please more safety photos of cars with more or less safetyless accuracy please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: January 15, 2020 03:12PM

Sorry, but I think the pictures stolen the show.thumbs up

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: January 16, 2020 08:05PM

Oh by the way. I Really like my more affordable jack stands L. O. L

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: January 17, 2020 05:52AM

Most car color that gets stopped for speeding in Texas is —- white.

Alec

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: January 17, 2020 06:33AM

AlecCarlson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most car color that gets stopped for speeding in Texas is —- white.
>
> Alec


Probably due to the numbers of them on the road. Hot climate, lots of sun. White cars would be cooler.

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic....some car safety STATS/FACTS
Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 17, 2020 08:30AM

I like how Dave drives around his neighborhood getting new ideas how to jack up his car spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Good laugh Dave!

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.