Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1964 generator
Posted by: Mojan_n ()
Date: January 14, 2020 11:49AM

Which one is the original 1964 generator fan pulley ?

1964 Corvair Monza Coupe, 110 hp, PG
Fremont, CA

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1964 generator
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 14, 2020 11:50AM

Bottom picture with the shroud. Some dispute if the early '64s had them.
The top generator isn't a '64 generator either. '64s all had wires facing the rear.
I hate the '64 style because you have to remove the fan to get at the generator mounting bolts.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 11:52AM by joelsplace.

Date: January 14, 2020 12:50PM

What you mean by “ 64 generator either. '64s all had wires facing the rear”? Which wire? The Field and armature wire?

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bottom picture with the shroud. Some dispute if the early '64s had them.
> The top generator isn't a '64 generator either. '64s all had wires facing the rear.
> I hate the '64 style because you have to remove the fan to get at the generator mounting bolts.

Date: January 14, 2020 12:54PM

Yes. '60-'63 cars had the wires on top like the above pictured generator even though you can't see the wires.
FCs, wagons and all '64s has the wires facing the rear.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 14, 2020 01:29PM

The 1962/1963 Spyder generator had a "shield" type of pulley, like the 1964, however it was smaller in diameter. The same goes for the drive end plate, there were a few different incarnations of them. The fans on the generators are designed to pull air through the generator from the back moving the cooling air to the front, or drive end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: January 14, 2020 01:47PM

What’s the point of putting the plate in front of the fan? Save the belt and our fingers?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 14, 2020 02:29PM

Directs the air for better flow.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:46PM

I do have an original 64 pulley where someone beat it with a hammer to allow a socket or wrench to fit on the mounting bolt.
At least it looks like that is what someone did. Did Chevrolet want the mechanic to remove the pulley BEFORE removing the
generator? I have always wondered why they designed the pulley this way.

Date: January 14, 2020 05:49PM

Removing it before removing the generator is the only way I know of to do it. Seems crazy to me. I put the older fans on them. Probably a dumb idea since they obviously needed the extra cooling.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: January 14, 2020 07:24PM

Tim
Did Chevrolet want the mechanic to remove the pulley BEFORE removing the
generator? I have always wondered why they designed the pulley this way.

Yes, remove nut, slide pulley off shaft, remove bolts. Easy, yep, only if you have an impact wrench....angry smiley

Do NOT hold a fin with anything to resist the rotation of the nut! DAHIK.winking smiley

Designed to move more air, because the 64 had a larger output generator.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 14, 2020 07:48PM

Sometimes easy. I have one that won't budge with my Snap-On 1/2" impact and 150psi holding the pulley with a belt and vise grips. I'm going to have to take it apart and grab the armature.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: January 15, 2020 10:57AM

Did you make sure it was not right hand thread?

Only Corvair armatures have left hand threads. All the other car lines have right hand threads. And, the armatures interchange!winking smiley

There are different Corvair armatures, I mean for the same length armature left hand thread there exist many more right hand thread armatures, so rebuild shops would swap in right hand thread armatures if needed to get the generator going.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 10:59AM by Frank DuVal.

Date: January 15, 2020 04:21PM

yeah I noticed it, I have two generators one is left hand and the other right hand thread smiling smiley

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> Did you make sure it was not right hand thread?
>
> Only Corvair armatures have left hand threads. All the other car lines have right hand threads. And, the armatures interchange!winking smiley
>
> There are different Corvair armatures, I mean for the same length armature left hand thread there exist many more right hand thread armatures, so rebuild shops would swap in right hand thread armatures if needed to get the generator going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 04:23PM by Mojan_n.

Date: January 15, 2020 09:37PM

The one that is being a pain is RH.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 16, 2020 04:29AM

I've been known to grind a little slot in the outer diameter to get a socket in there. I suppose it affects the balance of the pulley so of course I would only do that on my own car.winking smiley

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 16, 2020 04:05PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> Did you make sure it was not right hand thread?
>
> Only Corvair armatures have left hand threads. All the other car lines have right hand threads. And, the armatures interchange!winking smiley
>
> There are different Corvair armatures, I mean for the same length armature left hand thread there exist many more right hand thread armatures, so rebuild shops would swap in right hand thread armatures if needed to get the generator going.

I have found some other brands of GM cars that used the left hand thread on the armatures. I have one in the garage that I believe was originally from a 1950's Buick. I can post a picture of the stamped part number if you want to see it. Junk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.