Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New repo dash or Clark's dash kit? Advice needed.
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: January 14, 2020 09:11AM

What is a fair evaluation of how hard is it to recover a dash- I'd be using Clark's kit and one of their cores (as mine has rusted badly on one end).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 09:11AM by pvholgado.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New repo dash or Clark's dash kit? Advice needed.
Date: January 14, 2020 03:16PM

Wow, I really thought I'd get some replies by now- No one ever put on Clark's kit? The reason I'm asking is the price difference between a "new" dash from Clark's and the kit to cover an old core is over $250... any opinions welcome.
PS. I'm an old "shop" teacher- not completely unskilled in the trades.

Posted by: edconnolly ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:54PM

Twenty years ago, I replaced the original dash pad on my 1961 Monza coupe with a Clark's reproduction . The Clark's pad (metallic blue) is superb and looks like new. Easy replacement.

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:58PM

Early and late are different.

Date: January 14, 2020 06:08PM

I assume Clark's repo pad is good quality - at $340 a pop it should be... Really looking for someone who has used their kit to redo their own dash core... Bueller...Bueller....Bueller....

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 14, 2020 07:06PM

When I re-did the dash pad on my 65 Corsa, I first removed the pad assembly from the panel. I had everything apart anyway, to do some wiring repairs . It came off easily ( just 4 nuts , as I recall) . The covering was shot. I went to the local upholstery shop & got a piece of naugahyde / leatherette,& took it home . Let it warm up in the sun for a while. Sprayed some contact cement on the cleaned up metal base & on the covering, & carefully stretched it on to the base. Tucked in the edges,& remounted the assembly on to the dash. It looks great & I'm happy with it. BTW, the shop didn't even charge me anything for the piece of fabric Sure beats the $ 250.00 to $ 350.00 that Clark's get for their "kit".
Doug Ward.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 14, 2020 07:10PM

Oh, I forgot to mention the foam pad. Mine was shot. I used some insulating spray foam ( Home Depot) . I let kick off & shaped it back to the original shape with sandpaper, then covered it. Doug Ward

Date: January 14, 2020 08:11PM

Nice--

DOUG WARD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, I forgot to mention the foam pad. Mine was shot. I used some insulating spray foam ( Home Depot) . I let kick off & shaped it back to the original shape with sandpaper, then covered it. Doug Ward

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 15, 2020 05:55AM

. BTW, the shop didn't even charge me anything for the piece of fabric Sure beats the $ 250.00 to $ 350.00 that Clark's get for their "kit".
> Doug Ward.

It all depends on the look you are going for. If you are looking for stock 'grain' in stock colors to match a factory interior, Clarks is the way to go.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: January 15, 2020 07:16AM

I've done the LM Clarks kit. How hard is it? Not too difficult, but does require quite a bit of patience fitting the corners. End result is very nice.

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: January 15, 2020 07:39AM

There are some used ones out there I assume. Maybe not, I suppose depending on the color and year you are looking for. (I have 4 or 5 LM black ones) I didnt see if yours was EM/LM/67/68/69. Anyway if you haven't tried looking for a good used one yet, it may be worth a shot.

Good luck

Joe
Western WI
66 Corsa Convertible
VCCA #

Date: January 15, 2020 07:40AM

That's what I wanted to hear-- thanks, Phil

JerryM Wrote:
> I've done the LM Clarks kit. How hard is it? Not too difficult, but does require quite a bit of patience fitting the corners. End result is very nice.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: January 15, 2020 08:27AM

You still haven't mentioned whether you have an early or late model.

Like Doug, I went to a fabric shop and got some of the naugahyde.(black) I wasn't interested in going for the stock look. Unlike Doug, I had to pay for mine. sad smiley

I stripped the old covering off, and applied a piece of the thinnest foam I had on hand which was low density, 3/4" material. I then stretched the fabric over the foam to compress it as much as possible. The result was definitely not a stock look, but is okay and has received quite a few compliments. I can take a picture later if you like.

It has been in the car for over ten years now and has seen a lot of sun, about 70,000 miles worth of it and has held up great.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: January 15, 2020 08:37AM

Sorry I have an LM. Looking for the stock look as much as possible... but can tolerate worthwhile improvements.

TIBCO Wrote:
> You still haven't mentioned whether you have an early or late model.
>
> Like Doug, I went to a fabric shop and got some of the naugahyde.(black) I wasn't interested in going for the stock look. Unlike Doug, I had to pay for mine. sad smiley
>
> I stripped the old covering off, and applied a piece of the thinnest foam I had on hand which was low density, 3/4" material. I then stretched the fabric over the foam to compress it as much as possible. The result was definitely not a stock look, but is okay and has received quite a few compliments. I can take a picture later if you like.
>
> It has been in the car for over ten years now and has seen a lot of sun, about 70,000 miles worth of it and has held up great.

Date: January 15, 2020 10:05AM

FWIW, here are some pictures of my dash including a couple of closeups. Like I said, it is not original, but I don't think it looks bad myself.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Attachments:

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 15, 2020 11:07AM

TIBCO Wrote:
> FWIW, here are some pictures of my dash including a couple of closeups. Like I said, it is not original, but I don't think it looks bad myself.

Very nice work! Only a trained eye and side by side comparison could tell.

Date: January 15, 2020 11:10AM

FLSteve Wrote:
> TIBCO Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > FWIW, here are some pictures of my dash including a couple of closeups. Like I said, it is not original, but I don't think it looks bad myself.
>
>
> Very nice work! Only a trained eye and side by side comparison could tell.

I gree... very nice!

Date: January 15, 2020 11:29AM

Thanks, really the worst part about it is getting the dash panel off. It's been 10 years since I did it and my memory could be wrong, but I seem to recall there are five nuts holding it on and it really helps if the gauge cluster and the glove box are out. I'm not sure if you can get to the last two nuts otherwise.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 15, 2020 11:54AM

FLSteve Wrote:
> TIBCO Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > FWIW, here are some pictures of my dash including a couple of closeups. Like I said, it is not original, but I don't think it looks bad myself.
>
>
> Very nice work! Only a trained eye and side by side comparison could tell.

Your dash pad looks pretty good. It is mostly just too thick and a bit oversized. Clark's Pad is just like stock. It is not hard to install really. It is pricy however. Choosing what to do kind of depends on skill in making something or something that will work and whether time or money is more valuable to yousmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 11:55AM by TerribleTed.

Date: January 15, 2020 12:30PM

I agree Ted. If I was going for concours I certainly wouldn't have gone this way. However, I was just looking for a practical and economic way to do it. I generally support Clark's and will usually spend the extra bit of money. But in this case the difference just didn't justify it for me. Less than $10.00 invested. It just seemed to me the better option.

Also, I am certain that with thinner foam, say 1/4", I could make it look a lot more like original equipment. Like I said earlier, I had some 3/4" low density on hand, so that's what I used.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 12:33PM by TIBCO.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.