Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Correct Color for Spyder Tranny & Dif
Posted by: RKF ()
Date: January 14, 2020 02:43AM

I will soon be hauling the transmission and differential assemblies,from my '63 Spyder, to the Corvair Ranch for a rebuild.

Currently, the units are painted red, but I don't know if this is a factory color or if they got painted that color somewhere along the way.

What, if any, color is correct for the tranny and dif?

Knoxville TN

1962 Corvair Rampside
1963 Corvair Spyder Convertible (project)
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Correct Color for Spyder Tranny & Dif
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 14, 2020 03:50AM

I would say satin or flat black if anything. I've always wanted to try paint that's supposed to look like cast iron for master cylinders.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 14, 2020 07:35AM

Transmissions and differentials came unpainted from the factory, I believe - raw cast iron (or aluminum, in the case of the PG).

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota / Corvanatics
61 Rampside, 66 Monza AC Vert, 66 AutoX Car, Manx Vair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: January 14, 2020 08:03AM

I believe the ones in the cars came raw and un-painted. Crawford Rose has had some NOS early transmissions that were raw and we have 2 NOS 64-65 transmissions- 1 still in the box and they are both painted.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 14, 2020 10:48AM

I have a GM REMAN differential for a PG EM. It is black (and has an interesting looking paper tag with info on who did the reman?).

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 14, 2020 11:38AM

I have an NOS GM Powerglide case, raw aluminum smiling smiley

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: January 14, 2020 11:48AM

I have some old color photos of early Corvairs and they are shown green painted

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 14, 2020 01:34PM

The transmission and differential in my '65 were bare cast iron and to the best of my knowledge always were with the exception of the white paint across the code number on the differential.

While going through the car and cleaning things up, I decided to paint both the differential and transmission as a personal preference.

I went with a Cast Iron color for the differential and left the face of the differential which will be covered by the bell housing un-painted and taped around the white paint where the differential code is stamped so it could remain easily visible. I went with Satin Black for the top cover and have since painted the Yokes a Satin Black color as well so those who might ever look close, can see that I didn't just spray bomb the entire unit while together.

I went with a Cast Aluminum color for the transmission to give the "Aluminum" appearance. I left the end cover bare aluminum. I also left the machined ends of the transmission and differential bare where the gasket surfaces are, again as a personal preference and to illustrate that things were disassembled before paint.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:

Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:43PM

Catabolic, looks really nice. Going to try to do something similar to mine. Is it OK to sandblast the cast iron transmission and differential cases?

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)
2008 Buick LaCrosse (DD)

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:46PM

If you sandblast tape off all the openings to keep from getting sand inside. A lot of people (me included) won't risk it. Sand bad.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 15, 2020 08:14AM

There are different makers of cast iron color paint. Some look perfect, others are just grey paint. Have to hunt around.
When I built for concourse I had a brand that was perfect and wouldn't melt if oil got on it. They are gone now because we are saving the earth!
I also used this for tie-rod ends, steering arms and steering box's. Anything that was bare cast iron.
If you want the clean factory new look, I recommend a finish like this.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: 2manyvairs ()
Date: January 15, 2020 11:12AM

For painting cases that aren't being rebuilt I clean them good and then use mixes of POR-15 black and silver. Mix in different ratios for different shades of steel/cast appearance.

Jeff

1960 700 sedan - blue, #1819 oldest existing non horn slot car
1962 Monza sedan - black w/red cloth interior daily driver
1962 Monza coupe - silver blue/blue 4spd
1963 Greenbrier - standard, "Turdbrier"
1963 Monza cvt - Ivy Green/Fawn It's NOT red !!
1964 Monza coupe - red/black, 95hp pg, 54k miles 3rd owner
1964 Spyder cvt - Blk/Red It's NOT red either !!
1965 Monza ht - retired daily driver, the storage shed
1965 Corsa 140 ht - all good except for how it looks.
1965 Corsa 180 cvt - perfect body, everything else shot
1966 Corsa 140 ht - Red/Red, Canadian w/factory headrests, wood wheel, rr speaker, & oil bath,

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 15, 2020 01:16PM

gbirk1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Catabolic, looks really nice. Going to try to do something similar to mine. Is it OK to sandblast the cast iron transmission and differential cases?

I would advise against sand blasting the case, especially if it still has the internals intact. Sand gets in some of the most difficult to remove places and has a tendency (as I hear it) to stay put until the most inopportune time, like when everything is back together and all seems well.

I have heard tales of people sandblasting engine blocks and living to deeply regret that choice, even those who would swear that all the granules were flushed out.

I left mine intact, drained the fluids from them, split them apart then carefully cleaned them individually in my parts washer. Once that was accomplished, I cleaned the surfaces with Brakeleen then again with Lacquer Thinner so I would potentially have a relatively clean surface for the paint to adhere to. I guess time will tell.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: January 15, 2020 04:14PM

Did my Corsa in "cast aluminum" for the tranny and semi gloss black for the diff, with the tranny side cover also black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 04:15PM by goatsnvairs.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.