Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2020 Corvair Performance Workshop?
Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:38PM

Is there going to be a 2020 Performance Workshop?

Ted

**NEW** Dual TBI KITS are now available through Clarks Corvair
**DIS and 4 TBI units are available through Corvair-EFI.com
Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
[www.Corvair-EFI.com]
Brown Injection Facebook
68 Monza Convert Auto - EFI
61 Loadside - PGlide - EFI
61 Rampside - 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 Speed - Bad Motor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2020 Corvair Performance Workshop?
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: February 01, 2020 11:33AM

Hi Ted, Apparently, the answer is "no".

Last year, I helped to bring it together. It was a good way to get people out to visit the new Corvair museum, which is why we held it there.

I never intended to keep it up year after year. Instead, my intention was to turn it back over to folks who are directly involved in Corvair racing, whether it be vintage racing, drag racing, autocrossing or whatever.

I don't think there are enough new developments in the performance sector of the Corvair hobby to warrant an annual workshop. It was so hard to recruit people to do presentations that relate to improving the performance of our favorite car.

Maybe if we let it rest for a year or too, there will be more demand and we can do it again.

Al Lacki sad smiley

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: February 01, 2020 01:18PM

I attended a lot of workshops before performance equaled racing. I'm a performance guy, but not a racing guy. I think the workshop went astray awhile back. Maybe some recasting?

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 01, 2020 02:28PM

I would have loved to do a presentation on my fan, but it just wasn't in the cards to go out there for it, and I don't think I could have done a very good presentation remotely. I will be giving a presentation on it in San Diego this year though!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 01, 2020 03:15PM

The Workshop last year far from a racing workshop. It was much more a street performance focus. I don't think it has lost direction. Maybe a little momentum.

Date: February 01, 2020 03:23PM

How about a workshop that covers performance topics such as long distance touring (GT) with attributes such as stability/tracking, noise, comfort, power, etc.

Or back roads driving fun:

With quick steering and upgraded suspension, a car that loves two-lane, curvy, hilly back roads. Down the hill towards the next corner, brake, shift down to 3rd, turn into the corner, shift back up to 4th, floor the accelerator, then blast down the straight towards the 6,500 rpm redline and the next corner. Now do it again... and again... and again. All the time listening to the sweet sounds of the high-revving, flat-six engine.

Or?

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Date: February 01, 2020 03:28PM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Workshop last year far from a racing workshop. It was much more a street performance focus. I don't think it has lost direction. Maybe a little momentum.

True, but that's not how it's described -- or as I read the description. Maybe not a recasting, but updated marketing?

I had offered a presentation, but things came together too late for me to put it on my schedule and put together a presentation.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Date: February 01, 2020 03:36PM

Or "The Downsides of High Performance in a GT Car".

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Date: February 01, 2020 04:14PM

Or "A Comparison of the New 1965 Corvair GT (a car GM should have built, could have built, but didn't) to the New 1965 Porsche 911)".

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 02, 2020 05:49AM

I feel that there is actually a need for a kind of a workshop that would cover updating the Corvair to more modern standards. By that I mean how-to presentations on such things as LED lighting, digital instruments, power windows and locks, etc.

There could even be how-to's on making such changes without much affecting of stock appearance, as I actually LIKE the stock appearances of the various years and models. Witness my project car(yes, it's STILL in the body shop) which will keep as much of the stock look as possible, but will be a mild custom. The key is that I'm mostly playing with the materials and colors pallets. Yet it will have such things as power locks and cruise control, all hidden mostly beneath the skin. It will have a more luxurious feel, like something the GM Tech Center might have done for an executive's spouse or the New York Auto Show (which spawned the Super Monza and inspired the production Monza line). And the marvelous thing is that I am doing it all to illustrate the point that you really don't have to stray that far from stock to bring the car "up to date", something that I feel others might be interested in hearing about in a workshop forum.

Food for thought.....

-Mark

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 02, 2020 06:33AM

Kevin and Mark, (Kevin) I did remote presentations last year with 2 different people! They sent me the pictures they wanted to talk about, I hooked my phone up to the sound system and they talked about the pictures! With one person I had video going so they could see the slides and when they were done talking about the one they told me to change the picture. We even fielded questions that way. There were questions posed and I relayed then to the presenter and the questions were answered!

(Mark), In light of what the last workshop was, not really a pure racing workshop, your suggestion was already done. Dale Smiley presented his Dakota Digital dash presentation. I did show a race video of Autobahn Country club but we had street performance people and autocrossers there, not to many road racers. Why no road racers? Because the timing of the workshop was moved to April and that gets into the race season for some.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 02, 2020 07:25AM

It seemed to be racing oriented for a long time because of the people hosting it. Tracy LeVeque helped a lot for several years but they moved away from the Indianapolis area.
It could take on any flavor that the people putting it together want to have. You might draw a different crowd but as long as you draw a crowd it's good.
This from a guy who's never been.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 02, 2020 01:55PM

(Mark), In light of what the last workshop was, not really a pure racing workshop, your suggestion was already done. Dale Smiley presented his Dakota Digital dash presentation. I did show a race video of Autobahn Country club but we had street performance people and autocrossers there, not to many road racers. Why no road racers? Because the timing of the workshop was moved to April and that gets into the race season for some.

Ken Hand

in a way, Ken, what happened last year, I feel, only reinforces my contention. As you state, it was a bit too late for many of the racers to show, which is why Allan had a bit of trouble with early registrations. But once the subject matter was announced, late registrations soared, and we had a good attendance. The audience, according to the impressions I got, were less full-bore racers and more street-driven-car owners looking for improvements and updates to their Corvairs.

I think there is room for more than just all-out racers to have such tech session events. It would all depend on the host, location, and timing. It's what the national convention could offer, but seems to set on the back burner as filler activities between the major events. Fact is, I think the national convention should devote an entire day just for tech presentations.

Further, I'd love to be able to get my project car (once completed) onto a dyno for a little experimentation with the air cleaner and exhaust systems. If a clinic was set up just for that purpose, I'd sure like to attend. The results could be reported in the CC for everybody's edification.

-Mark

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 02, 2020 02:02PM

One of the issues for me is racing starts in March in Atlanta. February if I want to go to Savannah . Then the Mitty in April.
I think originally the intent was something to do during the Winter Blues.
Feb would be a good month. Maybe we can get it together next year. Mike

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: chris ()
Date: February 02, 2020 06:32PM

All I know is that last year was my first time going and I had a great time between the presentations and in-between sessions. If they did it again I would go! I’m also trying to distract myself from the Chiefs right now.

'65 Monza 4 door
4 speed
110hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Date: February 03, 2020 05:23AM

I think having a performance workshop (or a general tech workshop, for that matter) as something to do during the dull wintertime is a great idea. The only issue I have is (if you live in the rustbelt) that most Corvairs don't get out during the salt-paving months, so how could one be able to get one's Corvair there, if need be? As I stated earlier, I'd love to be able to put my car on a dyno, if one could be made available.

-Mark

Date: February 03, 2020 06:03AM

I can actually see 2 different workshops. One directed more to the performance street people and then one that is more very serious autocrossing or road racing.

Mike is correct in that the original performance workshops started in mid FEB. but it was decided the weather was to unpredictable then and the time moved to mid Mar. Yes the timing on the last one was an issue for the road racers but it turned out OK.

As far as bringing cars? This isn't a car show, it is an informational presentation. There have been cars on display because the weather was decent and a couple because they were kind of special and different.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: billh1963 ()
Date: February 03, 2020 06:08AM

There might be an opportunity for an annual event if it could be held at different locations around the country. While I am new to the Corvair world and am older than the generation we need to be bringing into the fold, I think Street performance is where the greatest growth lies.

My youngest son (25) absolutely loves my ‘64 Monza coupe and I’m going to give him the car later this year. One thing he doesn’t like is the steering. I have to agree. A workshop focused on improving steering (if only there was a way to easily install rack and pinion), handling, braking, etc. to get the car to feel more modern I think we could get many more young people interested.

The Corvair is a beautiful design....especially the LM with many design elements from the Corvair found in the first generation Camaro. The Corvair is also inexpensive enough to be affordable for younger people. Several of my son’s friends have ridden (I’ve even let a couple of them drive) in my Corsa clone and they love it. I think they are even considering buying one as their first classic car. Showing that there are ways to make the car feel more modern (and improving safety) without modifying the classic look can only help the hobby.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
1964 Monza Coupe Bahama Green
1965 Monza 140 Corvette Yellow metal flake (Canadian Corsa Clone)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (WRN)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (LOS)
1965 Corsa 140 Crocus Yellow
1966 Corsa 140 Marina Blue project
1966 Corsa 140 Convertible Ermine White (Project or Parts)
1966 Monza 140 Convertible Lemonwood Yellow (Project or Parts)
1969 Monza 110-PG Dover White
Right in the middle of South Carolina

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2020 06:09AM by billh1963.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 03, 2020 06:33AM

billh1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There might be an opportunity for an annual event if it could be held at different locations around the country.

It would be neat if this annual event rotated from east coast, to west coast, to mid west, and had other events like an Economy Run, Autocross, Rally, swap meet, and a car show - and then, at the end, we could have a Banquet!

Just poking fun....I've only been to last year's performance workshop, and it was a pretty good time.

Eric P.
DeWItt, IA

Date: February 03, 2020 07:32AM

Perhaps it might help to drop the labels of "street" and "race" and focus on performance -- and broaden the term "performance" to mean: Improving and/or extending the capabilities and characteristics of the Corvair beyond stock.

Performance: The capabilities of a machine, product, or vehicle.

The Performance Workshop is intended for those with an interest in enhancing the capabilities of the Corvair. The workshop is an annual event that brings together Corvair enthusiasts from across the country to participate in presentations, demonstrations, and informal discussions of various ways to improve and/or extend the capabilities and characteristics of the Corvair beyond stock -- what works and what doesn’t work, including test results. Areas of discussion could include:

Engine
Exhaust
Handling
Cooling
Fuel
Suspension
Steering
Aerodynamics
Engine
Transaxle
Electrical
Instrumentation
Ergonomics
Audio

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.