Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Cove color questions
Posted by: rotted65 ()
Date: January 13, 2020 06:31PM

Been a while since I've posted, but I have been looking. Too busy working on car. Primer and sealer are almost done and it's time to pick the colors. I going to paint the body 1969 GM Rallye Green. I want to do the cove area a different color and torn between silver or black. Thoughts and opinions will be appreciated. Pics of what other have done would be nice. Should it be flat or gloss? It's a 66 monza convertible black interior, 15" silver GM Rallye wheels with center caps and trim rings. Thanks!!!!

69 monza 110 PG gone many years ago
65 corsa vert 4spd gone
New toy 66 monza vert 140 4spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cove color questions
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 13, 2020 06:45PM

Unlike some haters(usually snobby Corsa owners) around here, I like the painted coves on all Corvairs. thumbs up
I like the Argent Silver, but also any color that compliments the rest of the car.
I have blue rockers and Rallye Wheels on my Vert, so that is the color that I painted my rear cove.
My Coupe has gold rockers, so that one has a gold cove.
Personally, if your Rallye Wheels are silver, then I would go with the silver cove.
Just because I like some contrasting color on a Corvair, not because of any Corsa envy.
Besides, those Haters with Corsas claim a silver cove gives you an extra 15 HP! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:09PM

It's no secret that GM found that Argent silver not only looked nice, but gave you ten MPH improvement on top speed and 5 MPG improvement in mileage. As always, your car your choice.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: January 13, 2020 11:12PM

They did? Man I never knew that. confused smiley Mike

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:21AM

And you get an extra 20 HP if you put in a Corsa dash! And you get some magical mystery handling suspension added if you complete the package with changing all the identifying emblems to a Corsa ID.

You DO know that only Corsas had that magical mystery handling suspension package, right? It's why purists are horrified with any Corsa clone, especially one that isn't a '65 or '66. Why, just look at how horrified my '69 Corsa was to them!

(Due to computer crashes, the below picture is the only one I have left of it. I lost the car in a train wreck, much to the delight of the purists.)

-Mark

Attachments:
Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: January 14, 2020 08:11AM

The silver cove just looks great! The 63 Impalas had silver coves. Especially with darker colors the cove looks terrific, especially with the 66-69 tail light lenses.

If you like the look and your car will not be competing in a stock class concours, grab the paint gun or can. Personally, I wouldn't try to create a Corsa clone on a 65-66, but since they weren't available from 67-69, why not?

If cost was no option, I'd go for the telescoping column, fast steering box and arms (had that in a 66 Monza and loved it), 66 AC setup, deep seats on heads, dash pad from 67, 66 4 speed, etc.

A lot depends on what you use your car for, driving, racing or showing.

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: January 14, 2020 10:09AM

If you go black, do it satin. The satin black looks great.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 14, 2020 10:19AM

Paint the cove black to hide any future evidence of an oil leak! Good plan, Chris!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 14, 2020 03:46PM

Just my opinion here.... A Black cove may contrast nicely with body color, but for me it kinda looks like some Corvairs back in the early 1970's.... with Black oil on the back.
So you know my choice has always been Silver!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: January 14, 2020 04:25PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And you get an extra 20 HP if you put in a Corsa dash! And you get some magical mystery handling suspension added if you complete the package with changing all the identifying emblems to a Corsa ID.
>
> You DO know that only Corsas had that magical mystery handling suspension package, right? It's why purists are horrified with any Corsa clone, especially one that isn't a '65 or '66. Why, just look at how horrified my '69 Corsa was to them!
>
> (Due to computer crashes, the below picture is the only one I have left of it. I lost the car in a train wreck, much to the delight of the purists.)
>
> -Mark

That 69 Corsa is cool. You should make another one. Start with a 500. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: January 14, 2020 07:46PM

Black, it is a nice contrast to the green and will give a hint of a Fitch too.

Dan Central MN

1968 Convert

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: January 15, 2020 12:10AM

I had a Camaro yellow Monza 65 that I painted black in the cove, as well as black in the front on the whole headlight "grille." I now have a Corsa with the silver cove.

Honestly, I liked the Monza paint scheme the best. Made it look vaguely like a Camaro.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 15, 2020 03:23AM

Posted by: flat_six ()

That 69 Corsa is cool. You should make another one. Start with a 500. smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks flat six! At least I know I have one more who likes it. Not everyone did. Like I said, the purists hated it, and concours chair after concours chair said it would have to compete in the modified class, along with cars that had numerous non-stock parts. That despite the fact that it met the update-backdate spec in the rules. I finally, eventually got one of the past chairs to admit that that was an arbitrary decision, and by then the then-seated chair told me he'd give it an honest evaluation. But by then I had just lost the car.

The greatest complement I ever got was a friend told me "Mark, you're the only one who would make a custom car out of all stock parts." And it had all the right options, as well, and some hard to duplicate, too. So yes, I'd like to do another one, but at this point in time, it will never happen for me. I'm too old, have too little money, and am currently engaged in another project, the car I've always wanted.

BTW, see the CC, issue for December 1994, as it was the cover car, with full write-up inside. Also May 2006, page 17.

-Mark

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: January 17, 2020 07:00PM

I didn't know if a silver cove would look right on an Aztec bronze car, so painted the one on my '66 Monza flat black. A black cove would tie in with your black interior, but as has been mentioned, silver would match your rally wheels. Only decent photo of my Monza's back end that I could find was taken during the blizzard of '78, right before I shipped out to West Germany.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.