Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake pedal low on the 64
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:27PM

This car has always had a lower than I like brake pedal but just recently it seems to be lower. You can double pump it and it feels better, still not very high. Does not feel soft like it has air in it. This car had silicone fluid in it when I bought it, never saw a reason really to change it. The brakes all respond well and it stops fine just kind of unsettling that the pedal is so close to the floor when they engage. Questions, is it time to install a new MC? Should I buy a rebuild kit for the MC instead? Is the some kind of adjustment I should know about? Should I put DOT 3 fluid in? I don't really want to install a dual MC. Thanks for the wisdom.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake pedal low on the 64
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:35PM

Buy a SMALLER BORE MC! typical!

And make sure your auto adjusters are working!

Each wheel should have a SLIGHT drag.... Free spinning? bad adjuster!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:37PM

The problem is probably not your master cylinder. The shoes need adjusting. If it starts high and bleeds down then it is a master cylinder problem. Check the push rod adjustment also.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 04:38PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:46PM

Start by manually adjusting all 4 brakes and checking to see that all the self adjusting hardware is functional and in place. Joel is right on!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 13, 2020 05:34PM

Push down on the pedal till it gets firm. Let up and reapply very quickly. Did the pedal come up? If yes, that's a classic symptom of shoe(s) needing adjusted. If no, adjust link between pedal and master or re bleed system.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: January 13, 2020 05:41PM

Sounds like brake adjustment is the next step. I knew y'all would know. Thanks. Will let you know how it goes.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 13, 2020 05:48PM

I'd probably still take a look at the master cylinder push for clearance.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 13, 2020 08:05PM

Is it a single or a dual master cylinder? Need more facts before it can be diagnosed long distance. Make the brake shoe adjustment after you remove the drums, and check the lining material for thickness. You will not be the first person to be driving on linings that have been worn down past their usable life expectancy. Also, make sure that the parking brake is not adjusted tight when you do the brake shoe adjustment. After the brake shoes are adjusted, adjust the parking brake according to the service manual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 14, 2020 04:54AM

Drive in Reverse and hit the brakes to get the auto adjusters doing their thing. I like to do it briskly but there's probably no need. I think PG drivers use the brakes when backing up more than Manual drivers.

If you have a low pedal to begin with, a dual master cylinder will not help in the event of a failure as the pedal goes way low then.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 16, 2020 04:37PM

Adjusting fixed it. thanks again for the wisdom. The parts look new, all the brakes including lines had been replaced just before I bought the car. I bought it as a basket case, took me a while to get it going, possible the installer never adjusted them, he never had the car running. I think I'm good to go.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: January 16, 2020 04:54PM

Does it have Auto adjusters?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 16, 2020 06:24PM

Only on rear, the fronts were way off, but not worn much.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 16, 2020 06:33PM

Can not count on self-adjusters if you are having an issue. They get frozen up sometimes or just do not work properly (if not manually adjusted properly first for example) For a low but firm pedal, first thing to do is adjust all 4 brakes manually to a firm drag while checking for drums worn out of limits, worn shoes, stuck adjusters etc. Also check for proper brake rod clearance to master cylinder piston. If all that is correct and the low pedal persists I would be changing the master cylinder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 17, 2020 11:10AM

moomba32 Wrote: when asked about Auto- adjusters
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only on rear, the fronts were way off proper adjustment, but shoes are not worn much.

=====================================================

Time to add the Auto adjusters up FRONT!!!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 17, 2020 05:24PM

Yes, all four wheels should be the same type. Makes maintenance easier.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.