Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bypassing the resistor wire
Posted by: JRAY ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:20AM

Good morning! Looking for a little help with my '66, please. I've tried searching, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm a newb on electrical stuff(and the Corvair). I'm looking to bypass the resistor wire for an electronic distributor install. I've been studying the wiring diagram and comparing to the Vair. So my question is, If I am bypassing the resistor wire, do I need to run a complete wire from my tap in location to the coil, or can I just jump the resistor wire and still use the stock yellow wire? Thanks in advance for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bypassing the resistor wire
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:24AM

You need to run a new wire from your tap in point to the coil. The yellow wire is a feed from the starter solenoid to feed the coil with key in the start position. GM wired it so you had 12V to the coil while cranking for easier starts, then drop back to 5-7V in run mode.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 07:26AM by Wagon Master.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:30AM

You can just jump around the resistor wire (not the yellow wire) unless your electronic ignition pulls more current than the wire can handle. What kind of electronic ignition?
If it's a Pertronix 1 you don't need or want to bypass the wire even though the instructions tell you to.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 07:31AM by joelsplace.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:47AM

This has worked for nearly 50 years and 4 different ignitions

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 13, 2020 09:02AM

Stating the type of "electronic" ignition would help. Some require by-passing the ballast resistor and some REQUIRE the ballast resistor in the circuit.

Date: January 13, 2020 11:29AM

Thanks for the help! I thought so, but just wanted to verify that I needed to run a new wire to the coil. Thanks again!

Date: January 13, 2020 11:32AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stating the type of "electronic" ignition would help. Some require by-passing the ballast resistor and some REQUIRE the ballast resistor in the circuit.

It's not an ignition conversion, it's the complete distributor swap, which does require bypassing, I know. To be more specific, it's the TSP version because I found it before I found Stinger, unfortunately.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 13, 2020 12:47PM

Often the coil and the electronic ignition need to be seen as separate devices. As it pertains to the Pertronix:

1. If the COIL had a resistor (or resistor wire) that gets retained.

2. The Pertronix it self should be wired from the ignition switch "on" position at 12 volts.

Often there is misconception about the Pertronix that it switches on/off 12 volts + going to the coil. No. All the Pertronix does is is switch the coil to ground and then releases just like a set of points does.

So, the resistor is pertinent to the COIL (at least with a Pertronix). The voltage going to the electronic device is pertinent to what the manufacture calls for. Some may have gotten away with using the lower voltage of the resistor side voltage with a Pertronix (they spec. 9-12 volts) but more often than not it is the source of problems to do that.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 13, 2020 01:02PM

You do not generally need to run a wire from the ignition feed before the resistor wire to the coil. Running a short piece of wire from this spot to the 2 prong starter plug (yellow wire and wire to coil is adequate. So running a non resistive wire from one end of the resistor wire to the other end of the resistor wire therefore bypassing the resistance is fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 13, 2020 01:12PM

JRAY Wrote:
> 66vairman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Stating the type of "electronic" ignition would help. Some require by-passing the ballast resistor and some REQUIRE the ballast resistor in the circuit.
>
>
> It's not an ignition conversion, it's the complete distributor swap, which does require bypassing, I know. To be more specific, it's the TSP version because I found it before I found Stinger, unfortunately.

If it's like Seth Emerson's Stinger then it's basically a GM HEI copy with an external coil. Typically no ballast resistor is used. Seth Emerson has a list of external coils that are appropriate. Note GM produced HEI distributors with "coil in cap" and with an external coil. Lots of information online.

Date: January 13, 2020 04:26PM

66vairman Wrote:
> JRAY Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > 66vairman Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Stating the type of "electronic" ignition would help. Some require by-passing the ballast resistor and some REQUIRE the ballast resistor in the circuit.
> >
> >
> > It's not an ignition conversion, it's the complete distributor swap, which does require bypassing, I know. To be more specific, it's the TSP version because I found it before I found Stinger, unfortunately.
>
> If it's like Seth Emerson's Stinger then it's basically a GM HEI copy with an external coil. Typically no ballast resistor is used. Seth Emerson has a list of external coils that are appropriate. Note GM produced HEI distributors with "coil in cap" and with an external coil. Lots of information online.

My understanding is that it's the same distributor through a different vendor. I would've bought Seth's had I found it first, unfortunately, I had bought the TSP distributor before I found this forum and the Stinger. Got the coil and everything I need, just wanted to make 100% sure on how I needed to bypass the resistor wire, after I found it.
On a side note, I love the car and really enjoy driving it. I'm trying to prep/update it for my son one day.

Date: January 17, 2020 06:39PM

One more question, for clarity, please. Since I now have 12v running directly to the coil, I do not need to hook the yellow wire back up to the coil, correct?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 17, 2020 06:44PM

If the wire you hooked up has 12v on it in run AND start position on the ignition switch then no.

Date: January 17, 2020 06:56PM

I tapped into the wire on the firewall side of the harness plug, opposite the resistor wire. I see on a '65 its supposed to be black with a pink stripe, but mine is red(not the red 10g). I'm getting nothing though.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 17, 2020 07:24PM

JRAY Wrote:
> I tapped into the wire on the firewall side of the harness plug, opposite the resistor wire. I see on a '65 its supposed to be black with a pink stripe, but mine is red(not the red 10g). I'm getting nothing though.

==================================

Was the engine running before you started the swap?

If not... go under the ash and check for power there when key is "ON"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 17, 2020 07:38PM

Yes it was. So I'm either not getting power, or not grounded well, and unfortunately, I cannot find my test light or voltmeter, Guess I'll buy some new ones tomorrow.

Date: January 18, 2020 08:10AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> This has worked for nearly 50 years and 4 different ignitions

Looks like the same location of the wire that I tapped, just a different color on mine, it s Should have the correct voltage. After my better half gets out of the grocery store, I'm. Running home to test things. Had to pick up some new tools since mine have gone missing.

Date: January 18, 2020 10:06AM

Ok, as stated, I'm not an electrical expert, or automotive for that matter, but I have done my share of work. I don't get this. Initially, I was getting 12v from my tap in wire, now I'm getting 10 or so, dropping to 7 while cranking. I'm not sure what changed, and I've put the battery on charge just in case. I'm getting no fire, no attempt to start crank at all. Any suggestions?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 18, 2020 10:42AM

Run a temporary wire from Bat + to the coil,and test.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 18, 2020 11:34AM

I'm with Matt, if that works, you have a resistive connection or a bad ignition switch.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.