Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
deep cleaned engine, now temp/pressure light is on
Date: January 12, 2020 07:32PM

Hello all. I was having some issues with smoke while sitting in traffic. Wasn't coming from the tailpipes so i assumed i had some trash on top of the engine under the main shroud. I took everything apart up top and sure enough there was a fair amount of leaves and grease in there. I vacuumed out all the trash and sprayed down with engine degreaser, rinsed it lightly with a hose and got it all back together. Everything seemed great; it started right up and was idling. It was smoking pretty badly but i assume that was just remnants from the cleaning burning off. BUT THEN the temp/press light came on. The car was only on for 2-3 mins so i don't think it had time to get hot. I fear that maybe i shorted something on the oil pressure switch. i am going to let it sit to fully dry out and try again but was wondering if anyone else had some insight. thanks!

as a side note...i replaced the oil pressure switch a few months ago so it is new. not to say it hasn't failed but just figured i would make that known.

Ryan

Greenville, SC
Recent owner, Lifelong obsession
1964 Monza 4 speed - Daily Driver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 07:34PM by thepolyphonicryan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: deep cleaned engine, now temp/pressure light is on
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 12, 2020 07:51PM

Exactly!! Let it dry out!!

The TEMP / PRESS light is controlled by the pressure switch... AND the head temp switch under #1 Cylinder head...

You can try wiggling the wires.... they join together near the distributor!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 13, 2020 05:00AM

Both senders work by providing a path to ground.
If the temp/pres light is on you can remove the oil pressure wire to see if the light goes out to determine which one is causing the light to be on.
Also, you can test a sender by removing the wire and touching it to ground to see if the light comes on.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: January 13, 2020 05:51AM

Since you had the turkey roaster off (plus??) I suspect that you have inadvertently pinched one of the wires going to either the oil pressure sensor or the temperature snap switch during reassembly. It sometimes takes a bit for a pinched wire to wear through the insulation and short to ground.

It's not hard to do with all the sheet metal and wires in there.

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Date: January 13, 2020 01:29PM

Had the same failure on the oil pressure switch after cleaning the engine bay using water and degreaser.

Replaced the OP switch and the light went out.

only happened when the engine warmed up....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.