Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM 1964 Rear Springs - different lengths?
Posted by: mmak116 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 07:11AM

I have removed the entire power pack in the Monza for an engine rebuild and swap from power glide to 4Spd. Those of you who have done this know that the rear cross member is different depending on the auto or manual tranny. So this also turned out to be an entire rebuild including all suspension. To my surprise after removing the rear coil springs, I found that the springs have different lengths for each side. Is this normal?!?! What is the acceptable spring lengths when removed and not under load? It should be noted that I have two sets of donor springs removed from 2 different cars and both are of different length for each side.
Are the two sets of springs I have just so tired and deformed from 55 years of abuse?
Any input and direction would be appreciated here, please comment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM 1964 Rear Springs - different lengths?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 12, 2020 08:04AM

Driver's side is taller

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 12, 2020 08:27AM

Engine and transmission is slightly offset in the car, and that is why there are 2 different spring rates. That is also the reason that Clarks only sells the rear 1964 springs in pairs. The springs work in conjunction with the mono leaf spring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: mmak116 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 09:37AM

Thank you for the responses and explanation. I would have thought the springs would be equal lengths but your explanation makes total sense.

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: January 12, 2020 10:06AM

FYI: GM specifications for 64 Corvair rear springs

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.