Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
ADJUSTING OIL PRESSURE REGULATOR
Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:28PM

I would like to increase the oil pressure on my 65 Corsa. Do I cut a loop from the spring, or do I add a shim (washer) under the spring ? Doug Ward

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ADJUSTING OIL PRESSURE REGULATOR
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:35PM

My instinct would be to say add a shim.
But, I really don't know.
I am sure someone will chime in soon with the "Correct Answer".
But are you sure it is a good idea to increase oil pressure?
I expect that someone will come on here and say something like, . . . .
"Increasing oil pressure, will increase your chances of a pressurized oil leak." eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 11, 2020 10:34PM

Add a Washer...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 11, 2020 11:45PM

To stiffen the spring, which raises the pressure relief point, people have inserted a small ball bearing on the outer top of the spring, before screwing down the cap screw. I am not saying you need this, but it will up the relief point.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 12, 2020 03:30AM

So I will ask . Why do you need or think you need to increase oil pressure?

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 12, 2020 05:14AM

Along with the above question there is more to it than just adding the 1/4" steel ball.

If the oil pump gears have any miles on them and someone hasn't set up the oil pump properly adding all the shims you want will only get you a slight increase in oil pressure.

If you truly want better oil pressure you need a new oil pump and set the end clearance to the minimum value of about .003". making sure that as you tighten the pump bottom plate the the gears do not bind. Then you can add the steel ball and you will have about 55-60 psi cold if your engine is in decent overall condition.

If you are running a stock engine and you are not going over 6000 rpm 30-35 psi running is good and anything over 5 psi at idle is good enough to survive on.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 12, 2020 12:35PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along with the above question there is more to it than just adding the 1/4" steel ball.
>
> If the oil pump gears have any miles on them and someone hasn't set up the oil pump properly adding all the shims you want will only get you a slight increase in oil pressure.
>
> If you truly want better oil pressure you need a new oil pump and set the end clearance to the minimum value of about .003". making sure that as you tighten the pump bottom plate the the gears do not bind. Then you can add the steel ball and you will have about 55-60 psi cold if your engine is in decent overall condition.
>
> If you are running a stock engine and you are not going over 6000 rpm 30-35 psi running is good and anything over 5 psi at idle is good enough to survive on.

Agree with the above. I'll add that you should plastigauge BOTH oil pump gear to cover areas. Sometime the cover isn't EXACTLY perpendicular to the gear shafts, but within the original spec. This promotes more wear into the cover by one gear vs. the other, usually very minor. If you install the symmetrical gear cover 180deg out then one gear will be closer to the cover than the other. I've seen this a couple times on a new build. Rotate the cover and then both gears measure the same clearance to the cover when selecting gasket thickness.

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: January 12, 2020 03:40PM

Once upon a time I just stretched the spring to get increased pressure. Result: I stretched it too much and the pressure was so much that the oil squirted all over when I adjusted the valves. I would say if you stretched it very carefully you can get the desired result

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 13, 2020 06:06AM

66vairman Wrote:
Snip
> Agree with the above. I'll add that you should plastigauge BOTH oil pump gear to cover areas. Sometime the cover isn't EXACTLY perpendicular to the gear shafts, but within the original spec. This promotes more wear into the cover by one gear vs. the other, usually very minor. If you install the symmetrical gear cover 180deg out then one gear will be closer to the cover than the other. I've seen this a couple times on a new build. Rotate the cover and then both gears measure the same clearance to the cover when selecting gasket thickness.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Two things here, You don't need plastigage! A feeler gage works quite well and is all I use. If you just finger the two center bolts in to hold the cover you can run a feeler gage around the seal area and use the largest spot as your reference number. As an instance, if you measure and you find .006 is the largest clearance. You want .005 clearance so add up the numbers and you get .011. Measure your gaskets and see which one is .011 and you will end up with .004-.005 clearance. if you want closer use a smaller gasket. Using the feeler gage is pretty cut and dried whereas you need to read the plastigage and interpret the reading.

As far as rotating the cover, there is no need unless there is a very large groove cut in the cover from the gear(s). It is more than rotate, it is flip it over and rotate. That can only be done if the other side is not pitted rusty. But then new ones are cheap. In my case I just go get a good used one.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:04AM

I believe that the pressure valve only limits the maximum pressure. So if you have 10 lbs at idle that's all you will get no matter what the spring setting.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 13, 2020 07:20AM

That is true but if the spring is sacked and not keeping the valve closed it will increase pressure everywhere. Had that happen once on a '63. Oil pressure light would come on at idle. I think I added a ball bearing. It ran great for many years after that.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 08:14AM

The valve plunger would have to be stuck open or the spring broken for the light to come on at idle, because most of the oil was being bypassed to the pan.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 13, 2020 08:23AM

I use a Z28 sbc spring, no need for shims,washers etc. Melling makes a few different ones. I believe I have the one up from stock in the racer. Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 08:24AM by v8vair.

Date: January 14, 2020 07:17PM

I took the cap off the regulater. Added one washer to the top of the spring. re-assembled. Pressure gain = about 3 to 4 PSI. I'm happy with that. Thanks again for you guys' input. Doug Ward

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 14, 2020 08:08PM

Glad it worked...again...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 15, 2020 05:54PM

Matt, thanks for your reply. My "hot" oil pressures are now; 15 PSI at idle, & 45 PSI at cruise speed ( 3000 to 3500 RPMs). I am happy with those readings. All of you guys are so encouraging to me in my quest to keep on learning about these wonderful old machines. Doug Ward

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.