Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
"Daylight" LED Headlight Installation Procedure
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: January 11, 2020 10:43AM

Hey all,

A big Thank You! to MattNall for the sale of his 5.75 inch LED lights. Now, as most of you know-- once you get them installing them is a completely different matter. They don't fit in the metal bells that are behind the stock headlights, originally used to secure them in place.

The advice I was given was to enlarge the holes in the back of the bells, which would involve really removing most of the metal in them in order to let the light fit. That's quite the machining job. In fact for me thinking of trying to get the circle just right and everything seemed pretty impossible. Plus, you know, I don't own a machine shop.

I came up with a simple solution that I think everyone could use. There is a brass colored metal cross that is used to install lighting in our household ceilings. Whether a fan or just a new chandelier of some sort, all the kits come with them. You can also buy them separately I think. There are screw holes all through it, and a space for sliding lights into place that is just the right width to match the old bells. So I took my Dremel tool, and sliced it up.

Angling it correctly, I was able to create eight little clips that approximate the clips that are built in around the original Corvair headlight bells. Then, using the screws that come with the cross for mounting the lights--also sliced up with my Dremel in order to be shorter--I attached them to the outer mounting headlight ring that goes around the front of the light. The whole thing mounts into place using the headlight aiming screws, but I did have to buy new ones that were longer. And it's good to have a pair of needle-nose pliers handy. Just tighten it up and you're good to go.

One other thing, since the brights on a Corvair only have two prongs on the plug, for those I spliced in the pigtail plugs that come with most LCD lights. They're meant as adapters for some newer headlight models, but of course I didn't need them.

And that's it. I'm attaching some pictures below that I hope make sense. I'm posting this first message without pictures because I don't want the website to reset while I go looking for them. Cheers.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 12:14PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: An LCD Headlight Installation Procedure
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: January 11, 2020 12:00PM

Here are those pictures.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Re: "Daylight" LED Headlight Installation Procedure
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 11, 2020 12:17PM

Great!! And they fin in the Highbeam side of the LM headlight buckets!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.