Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Need input on drilling block for new head studs.
Posted by: 63 Spyder Ragtop ()
Date: January 13, 2020 01:05PM

Figured out how to resize pic, here is application photo.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 13, 2020 01:08PM

The studs aren't pulling out of the head, they are backing out instead of the installation cap releasing leaving the stud in the block.

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 01:18PM

63 Spyder Ragtop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not real happy with the Clark's tool. In theory it might have been a good idea but the application isn't satisfactory in my opinion. The first pictue shows the tool in application but the second pic shows what happens to the block after torquing. I'm not sure the damage is acceptable since I assume there is a gasket between the cylinder and the block. What do you think? Is my block trash now? Keep in mind that my block is not as pristine as most on here. Due to the file size restrictions I can only upload this one pic, I can't reduce the other one to 500kb or less

If this had happened to one of mine, I wouldn't consider it "trashed", but the first stud this happened on I would ditch using the tool, and remember to put some good sealer in the affected area (NOT SILICONE!!!)… I think I would put some JB weld on it myself. I've never used those installation tools, as sometimes the ball bearing mushrooms the end of the stud, making it difficult to remove. I try and drive the stud in far enough that it is flush with the inside of the case, note how much (if any) threads are protruding on the other side and do them all like that.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: January 13, 2020 01:22PM

I've sent an email to Clark's with the pics attached. I'll see what their response is.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 01:56PM

63 Spyder Ragtop Wrote:
> I'm not real happy with the Clark's tool. In theory it might have been a good idea but the application isn't satisfactory in my opinion. The first pictue shows the tool in application but the second pic shows what happens to the block after torquing. I'm not sure the damage is acceptable since I assume there is a gasket between the cylinder and the block. What do you think? Is my block trash now? Keep in mind that my block is not as pristine as most on here. Due to the file size restrictions I can only upload this one pic, I can't reduce the other one to 500kb or less.

Not a crisis, but a PITA! How many did you do?? You could put a washer between the tool and the block. Or I would probably tighten them until it is visibly close, then place a feeler gauge between the tool and the block. Continue tightening slowly until there is drag on the feeler and call it a day. As for the damage, flatten as best can, by removing the high spots, then fill the recess with high temp expoxy. This is not a high pressure area, but you want a good seal to prevent oil and or blow by leaks.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: January 13, 2020 02:00PM

As far as back out, you could cut a notch in the tool just large enough for a needle nose vice grip, then grab it before you back out. Maybe more lube, see what Clarks says.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: January 13, 2020 02:34PM

The cap grips the stud tight enough, even with the ball bearing, that I have to clamp the stud in my vice to remove it. Even using a 1/2 drive impact backs the stud out.

This project has been sitting for 3 years and ever since I returned to it there has been one fiasco after another. I'm near calling it quits.

I've put 6 studs in, the metal tube is supposed to put the stud at the correct height and a washer would make the stud longer than spec unless I cut excess off of the tube to account for the washer thickness.

Date: January 13, 2020 02:45PM

That's why I suggested a feeler gauge, a few thousandths is not going to be any problem. Lots of us have done by eye or looking at the treads. Even more of us have hit the giving up idea point, but regrouped and continued. Best wishes.

Also. most of us have only replaced one to a few, so you have the rest to use as a reference with just a straight edge.

We are all learning from your experience. Judging by the responses, not many have tried this.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 02:52PM by jjohnsonjo.

Date: January 13, 2020 03:18PM

After an astounding revelation I have discovered the main malfunction!! It's my dumb a**!! angry smiley and not the tool.
The tubes are meant to be for proper height installation ONLY and NOT to be torqued against!!! DUH!!! Ya know, a little common sense goes a long way doin' something like this. Torquing happens after the heads are put on, what a concept!eye popping smiley
Anyway, I'll pick back up tomorrow using the tool correctly. Ya'll can have a laugh and shake yur heads 'cause I own it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 03:20PM by 63 Spyder Ragtop.

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 03:52PM

Don't feel so bad! have a laugh at my expense! years ago, deep into a rebuild/hotrod project, I decided to remove and replace all of the cylinder studs, mostly because I didn't like the way they looked. Some were relatively easy to take out, others had me questioning my sanity- lots of heat and penetrating oil and snapping studs off and even more heat and a different penetrating oil and multiple pairs of vise grips to get some of those EFFING things out! Then the fun began, as some of the stud holes had helicoils already installed, others went in tight with standard studs, some weren't tight enough with the first "oversize" stud. After putting all these studs in and patting myself on the back for sticking it out with a way tougher job than I thought, I discovered a crack in the case, on the cylinder spigot side, right next to one of the studs. This happened because I had bored the cases to accept 94mm VW cylinders, and, thinking it would be easier, took the original studs out. Big mistake!!

After I calmed down, I had one of my buddy's weld up the crack and I spent a lot of time filing the weld bead back down flush to the spigot, and it was hard to tell that there was a repair.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: January 14, 2020 09:54AM

63 Spyder Ragtop Wrote:
>...
> This project has been sitting for 3 years and ever since I returned to it there has been one fiasco after another. I'm near calling it quits.
>
Don't lose hope! rebuilding a 55+ year old engine can be frustrating, but it can be done!

Sometimes it's best to step back, sip a beverage of your choice, post on a forum), and try again.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.