Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Heads and cylinders - to paint or not to paint?
Posted by: 63 Spyder Ragtop ()
Date: January 11, 2020 08:23AM

I'm getting ready to begin the assemble of my turbo engine. I spent days removing all of the excess flashing from the cylinders and heads before sending them off to the machine shop. I've read a lot of articles on heat dissipation and the consensus seems to be that a flat surface disspates heat better than a shiny surface with a flat black being the most efficient. Would painting the heads and cylinders with a good high temp engine primer and flat black paint be advisable or would it be wasted time and expense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heads and cylinders - to paint or not to paint?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 11, 2020 08:27AM

soda blast your heads and leave them like that. Cylinders bear blast and leave them free of coatings. In my opinion, coatings will slow dissipation of heat. Ceramic coat your exhaust tubes and exhaust logs would be better application to dissipate heat. Push rods tubes, make sure they are clean of any caked on oil residue and paint exterior with reflective silver high heat paint. People will save ceramic coat 1/2 side towards exhaust logs. Matter of preference.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: January 11, 2020 08:40AM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> soda blast your heads and leave them like that. Cylinders bear blast and leave them free of coatings. In my opinion, coatings will slow dissipation of heat. Ceramic coat your exhaust tubes and exhaust logs would be better application to dissipate heat. Push rods tubes, make sure they are clean of any caked on oil residue and paint exterior with reflective silver high heat paint. People will save ceramic coat 1/2 side towards exhaust logs. Matter of preference.

The heads and cylinders have already been prepped and cleaned so with your advice I'll leave them as-is. The push rod tubes are in the process of electrolysis cleaning as I write this and will follow up with sandblasting. I do my own and use a very fine white sand that doesn't pit the surface. I'll follow your suggestion about using a high temp silver reflective paint.
Thanks,
Chris

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 11, 2020 10:05AM

I always throw a light coat of paint on the cylinders and the heads have to stay bare!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: January 11, 2020 10:18AM

I used paint from Harley Davidson for the cylinders to keep them from rusting; if HD uses this paint for their cylinders it can't be to bad.

I leave the heads unpainted.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Date: January 11, 2020 10:21AM

Thanks for the replys. I do like the idea of protecting the cylinders from rusting.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 11, 2020 11:11AM

I used light coat of Rustoleum BBQ black on the jugs. Rust will inhibit heat transfer as much as a light coat of paint.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 11, 2020 06:30PM

I don't paint either and neither did Chevrolet.

Date: January 11, 2020 07:18PM

GM never spent a penny they didn't need to. They painted cast iron blocks because you could see it. Jugs are buried where no one will ever know. If the jugs would have been visible , I'd bet they would have gotten a quick shot of paint. Only my 2 cents.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 11, 2020 07:37PM

GM wanted the engine to last through the warranty period. We now are several decades past that, so to keep them another batch of decades, painting the cylinders is a nice thing, especially here in the salt and high humidity area! You west coast people can leave them bare!grinning smiley

Around here the Chipotle buildings have rust stains running from their bare steel architectural details across the sidewalk. I guess they use west coast architects!grinning smileyeye popping smileygrinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 11, 2020 08:29PM

I seem to remember an article back 30 years about about painting air cooled motorcycle heads and cylinders. The conclusion was a coat of black paint designed for heat dissipation was better than no paint.
I've read that a lot of "high heat" paints are ceramic which is an insulator. probably not good.
As mentioned above rust is a good insulator so I would put a light coat of appropriate paint on them.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 11, 2020 08:38PM

Anyone know of an appropriate heat dissipating paint?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 11, 2020 08:42PM

I was afraid someone was going to ask that when I posted.
IIRC way back PJ1 used to make head and cylinder paint that was supposed to do just that.
Someone else made some that you baked at a specific temperature for a specific time but I can't remember who that was. Or maybe that was the PJ1 stuff.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 11, 2020 08:46PM

What ever you use, just make sure it is safe for OUR use!
Remember, our heat comes from that region ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:03PM

When I replaced the heads on mine, I painted the cylinder fins with black heat paint, and the push rod tubes with silver paint. I did all of that out of instinct without a single reference to tell me I ought to. It's good to know that my instincts were correct!

I used the Rustoleum High Heat, black and silver versions. The stuff with a picture of a barbecue pit on it. It's good to 1500 degrees. They also have a version that's good to 2000 degrees. I think I actually used a mixture of both.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 09:04PM by playerpage.

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: January 11, 2020 10:26PM

I use flat black Rustoleum and thin it 25% with paint thinner. I use a 1" throw away brush and trim the bristles to get to the bottom of the fins.

The cylinders don't get hot enough to need high temp paint.

This method was the one Bob Hoover (VW guru) recommended, and it works very well.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 12, 2020 02:51AM

I did more research on paint and thermal dispersion and in our case it really don't make a difference. You can read for yourself. Color doesn't matter. Metallatic paints and paint applied thick are negilble if you believe the "engineering experts" at the below link.

[www.eng-tips.com]

Radiation heat transfer becomes less as the adjoining surfaces become nearly the same temperature (Ta^4-Tb^4).  The sheet metal surrounding the engine compartment can do wonders but maybe radiation exchange between engine parts is small because the surfaces are at nearly the same temperatures.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 12, 2020 06:25AM

I usually sandblast cylinders and leave them bare.
I do not agree that rust on cast iron inhibits heat transfer as much as paint. I could be wrong.
When I used to paint cylinders I used a very thin stove black with a chemical brush. That was on my race car.
The theory on painting part of the pushrod tubes is to insulate from exhaust manifolds.
I never paint anything aluminum including carburetors, I find it very attractive in it's natural state even when it goes dull. I'm a form follows function sort of a guy.
I love the look of sandblasted exhaust manifolds but let them be as well. I can see the benefit of coating them to keep the heat in and expelling it out the pipes.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 12, 2020 06:31AM

I tend to agree with the majority of the posts that advocate leaving unpainted but the question that begs to be asked is why Clark's and Otto market their oil pans and valve covers in an anodized flat black? Is it hype to increase sales potential?

Date: January 12, 2020 06:40AM

Anodizing protects aluminum from corrosion. While there is some air circulating around them, especially at speed, they give heat by radiation and convection. The jugs and heads is almost totally convection, caused by the blast of forced air.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.