Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: more affordable jack stands
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:39AM

I will never use those 2 hole concrete blocks to put a car on. When I stored the Hairs I scrapped, I put them on concrete deck blocks with a 2x6 on top for the car to sit on. No working under the car. I removed sheet metal and parts working my way down until i was to floorboards, suspension and power pack. Then I supported powerpack and cut away the floorboards. Worked for me. I could not afford to expend the money for 5 cars worth of jack stands plus 2x14s to set them on.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:47AM

Red Monza,

35 ft high unreinforced block wall? Will not meet building code where I live and will kill people when it fails. Same thing with brick buildings. They fail and kill people in an earthquake.

Respectfully, You live in a different world than I do. No way I will live in a brick house. They are not structurally safe. No way I would ever use cinder or concrete blocks to support a car. Simply not structurally safe.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 11, 2020 03:05PM

FRANK....When I use concrete block...I am planning on having the car up for over a week. There are 8 total concrete blocks on all 4 corners, 2 per corner with wood 2x to spread the load. I do not know anyone skinny enough to use one block and crawl under a car. That would be less than 8 inches..even daves big mouth would not fit under there...lol I don't know where you guys are getting these CHINESE BLOCK at..I have NEVER had one problem with block placed where they are designed to go and their proper use TO SUPPORT !!! The ONLY broke block is when they deliver the blocks..but they include extra for that breakage. Everyday, I look at the house I built in 1987, I personally put every nail in it by my self with a hammer...no nail gun. There is not ONE CRACK in the 10 foot block foundation anywhere. The current nurse that owns it is one happy camper with it..still has the original roofing from 1986. By the way...that house never had any rebar or concrete poured in the cells.

Of all my years at car shows and knowing a lot of people at shows, I have NEVER heard of anyone having a car crush them...but me and my best fried had to come out from under one quickly as it almost fell on him...JACK STANDS!! on level ground and on pavement. Its a big Healey.

TO WHO EVER said they would never live in a house made of brick....LOL I have NEVER seen a house made out of brick...NEVER...and my girlfriends house has full brick on 3 sides...goodness. There is NO SUCH HOME that I know of that is/was constructed with brick...the brick is ALWAYS a veneer only. Wow...I love some of these posts.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: January 11, 2020 03:38PM

In case you missed it red, I walked past your house the other day. I see you got a new truck.thumbs up

Attachments:
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:36PM

Red Monza, My big mouth sure seems to know a lot more about construction than you do, Every time you post you seem to stick your foot in your big mouth, Never seen a brick house? eye rolling smiley Bricks are the oldest building material know'n to man! They even wrote a song about it!

Building a cinder block foundation with no rebar and no concrete poured in the cells to tie them together is completely wrong on so many levels its unimaginable to me, you could back a car into it and take the house down! Its a unsupported hollow wall and any side impact would dislodge it and it would fall like domino's, I have built 3-4 story homes with subterranean garages and the footings required were massive, not only are rebar webs required but 2" all thread from the foundation through the cells of the cinder block to the top plate of every wall with simpson fasteners bolted to the plate for the next story, the all thread would continue to the top plate of the top story tying every plate of the structure together with the foundation, every 4 foot section of wall was inspected by the county before we could fill the cells with concrete and a deputy inspector was required on site to inspect the work as it was happening, Concrete vibrators are put down every cell of the wall to remove any air that might get trapped to insure a solid core is inside each cell with no gaps, When done you can drive a Mack truck into the building and it would bounce off!

Also, I made a simple comment about your post that putting a car on cinder blocks is not safe, and you go on a tirade of BS against me, all you did was make yourself look foolish, but that's fine with me, carry on Keyboard warrior! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: tony66 ()
Date: January 11, 2020 05:23PM

All's I know is I can smash a cinder block pretty good with a 2 pound sledge hammer, but about the only thing that hammer will damage on my jack stands is the paint.

Back to the original topic... These new fangled jack stands in my opinion are an accident waiting to happen.

Why on earth would anyone want to be assembling the jack stand while the car is only supported by a hydraulic jack. I'll stick with my traditional 3 ton wide base jackstands that can be slid under the car within seconds of getting the car jacked to the desired height... and if the jack decided to fail immediately, the stands are strong enough to protect my body. I don't see that level of safety with these new jack stands.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 11, 2020 06:03PM

Gee, am I doing it all wrong. I am lifting my 2600 pound car with a 3 ton jack and using 6 ton triod jack stands under it. I guess I should be using 1 1/2 gauge jack and 1 ton jack stands on each corner to stay at weight of car.

NOT.

Safety is paramount and hollow concrete blocks will be never be used. 6 ton stands are used, so I don't have to extend them but 1 or 2 pin holes. 3 ton jack used for the excess lift capacity to not overload the hydraulics or structure.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 11, 2020 07:07PM

Must agree with Motohead on this one.
Red, you are as dumb as ever.
YES, they DO make ENTIRE houses out of Brick ! ! !
Having worked in/around the construction field, I have seen those blocks fail while simply being picked up!
I would NEVER consider getting under a car held up by them!
As for your stupid example of the truck on Jackstands that fell, who in their right mind puts Jackstands on DIRT ! ? ! ? ! ?
Really? You wasted time to make THAT your example of why you think Jackstands are dangerous ? ! ? ! ?
And yes, you Moron, I have wiggled a car sideways while up on Jackstands!
In fact, I do it EVERY time I set one up onto Jackstands.
It just happens to be one of those "Basic Safety Checks" I was taught to do.
(same goes for putting a car on a lift! Get it just off the ground and give it a bounce, before taking her all the way up.)
I will NOT even consider getting under a car without checking the Jackstands for stability.
I think you and your idiot friend should have performed some basic safety checks before rolling under that car together.
Like Joel stated, when I was young, a friend and I jacked up a car of mine.
We didn't use those cheap ole cinder blocks that are 3/4 air, but real solid concrete blocks, and they cracked and failed.
NEVER AGAIN!
You can play Russian Roulette with your $1.65 life if you want to, but I will use the correct equipment that was designed and engineered for the job I am doing!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.