Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
more affordable jack stands
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: January 09, 2020 08:31PM

this is on e-bay really nice jack stands like the safe-jack ones but half the price I just got 2 of them today and they are nice heavy duty and perfect for our corvairs you can buy 2 for less than 1 of the safe-jack ones [www.ebay.com]

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: more affordable jack stands
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 10, 2020 07:34AM

How tall can they go?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: January 10, 2020 07:56AM

BobV66Vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How tall can they go?

From the EBay description:

Safety Jack Stand 3 ton Jackstand Jack Automatic Lift

• Handle a wide range of vehicles including small cars and light duty trucks

• Ranges in height from 12.4" to 19.1" with a 3 Ton (6,000 lb) capacity

• Two foot with large surface area for better contact with the load being supported

• Each sides can rise or fall alone fit for different road

• Removable tray on top suit for different situation Powder coated

You can also use rubber pucks on this Safety Jack Stand

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:14AM

Maybe you need these if you have a Tesla. These look to be too big, too complicated and too expensive when standard jack stands work just fine and cost 1/2 as much or less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:36AM

When I built my 49 Chevy Fleetline I jacked it up high, put two 8x16 INCH Concrete block on each side, I also put a 2X8 pressure treated board on top of the concrete block...(just like what holds up a HOUSE! that weighs just a little more than a car) and this Chicken feels complete safe. I did my 66 140 Corvair like this several times. Those saying concrete block is dangerous is B/S. tHE 2x is the safety factor...no sharp metal to cut block.

Each of these blocks are designed to hold 1900psi EACH...two of them plus the 2X would equal over 4,000 pounds per side that I use. cost= $1.65 each, 2X8 to put on top of the block...about nothing.

Jimmy in NC

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:15AM

I assume you use four of these otherwise you wind up with a possibly front/back teetering car? The width alone (two per side) looks like it would inhibit side entry to the underside of the car.

With shipping and tax (seller is in the same state as me) it would be $296 for four. I'm not seeing that as affordable. And to think I pick up regular jackstands at garage sales/thrift stores/swap meets for about $5-$8 per set. The last set of two I got from a Habitat for Humanity Restore Store were 70's era USA made and were $5 for the set. Properly placed I have no "safety" issues crawling under the car.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:18AM

red monza Wrote:
> When I built my 49 Chevy Fleetline I jacked it up high, put two 8x16 INCH Concrete block on each side, I also put a 2X8 pressure treated board on top of the concrete block...(just like what holds up a HOUSE! that weighs just a little more than a car) and this Chicken feels complete safe. I did my 66 140 Corvair like this several times. Those saying concrete block is dangerous is B/S. tHE 2x is the safety factor...no sharp metal to cut block.
>
> Each of these blocks are designed to hold 1900psi EACH...two of them plus the 2X would equal over 4,000 pounds per side that I use. cost= $1.65 each, 2X8 to put on top of the block...about nothing.
>
> Jimmy in NC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using cinder blocks as jack stands is how people die, its a know'n fact in the car world, go to any car forum and you will find the same answer! Cinder blocks can and will crumble and kill you, when they hold up a house they are filled with rebar and concrete. Heck Karate guys break them with their bare hands for show! If your life is only worth $1.65 go ahead and use them, I will use over sized approved automotive jack stands.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 10:20AM by davemotohead.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:02AM

I've never actually seen a cinder block but I have had concrete blocks break while holding up a car back when I was a teenager.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:38AM

If you have ever noticed how overpasses are built and supported during construction. Can you say that you ever saw cinder/concrete blocks used a support?

I sure have never seen much but Heavy Timbers and or steel used for support during construction.

As both Joel and Dave noted: Concrete/cinder blocks can fail with no warning and fatal results.

I have 6x6 and 6x8 wood blocks to backup my jack stands.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:55AM

If you need tall go to taller truck height standard jack stands. They should not be used on top of anything except a solid surface like a concrete floor. If you need taller still get a lift. Truck height stands are plenty tall to get the car in the air and clear a powertrain or suspension in and out, as well as roll around under the car on a creeper unless you are short and 300+Lbs maybe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 10, 2020 06:14PM

davemotohead Wrote:
> red monza Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > When I built my 49 Chevy Fleetline I jacked it up high, put two 8x16 INCH Concrete block on each side, I also put a 2X8 pressure treated board on top of the concrete block...(just like what holds up a HOUSE! that weighs just a little more than a car) and this Chicken feels complete safe. I did my 66 140 Corvair like this several times. Those saying concrete block is dangerous is B/S. tHE 2x is the safety factor...no sharp metal to cut block.
> >
> > Each of these blocks are designed to hold 1900psi EACH...two of them plus the 2X would equal over 4,000 pounds per side that I use. cost= $1.65 each, 2X8 to put on top of the block...about nothing.
> >
> > Jimmy in NC
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Using cinder blocks as jack stands is how people die, its a know'n fact in the car world, go to any car forum and you will find the same answer! Cinder blocks can and will crumble and kill you, when they hold up a house they are filled with rebar and concrete. Heck Karate guys break them with their bare hands for show! If your life is only worth $1.65 go ahead and use them, I will use over sized approved automotive jack stands.

VERY FUNNY!!! Not very educated however. How many houses have you built? Are you a GENERAL CONTRACTOR rated to build both Residential and Commercial? well I am!!! How high can you build with Concrete block without rebar and concrete reinforcement? sAY 35 FEET. Do you know what 1900 PSI means? How many POUNDS with that rating spread out over 16 inches....GOODNESS...what an idiotic remark you made....moronic in fact!!!

What you guys are talking about are MORONS working on their car...turning the block up on its side..then yes and maybe ...that would be scary and I would be the LAST PERSON ON EARTH to be that STUPID. The strength in a concrete block is using it as it was designed (to support 35 foot tall walls and a 30lb snow load here)...with the 16 inches on the ground.

Dave you are SO WRONG about you have to use concrete and rebar when you build a house....LOL...you should NOT BE giving advice TO OTHERS when it comes to building. Maybe in a earthquake area that might be a requirement but that is not for holding up a house..that is because it is subject to being shaken to death. I had to use rebar and 8X12X16 block with cells filled with 1/2in rebar in every other hole all the way around the foundation but in the front of the house 8in block, NO REBAR, NO CONCRETE PUMPED IN ANY OF THE BLOCK...10 foot walls and the front was a load bearing wall. And here in the mountains, we have to build for a 30lb per sq in SNOW LOAD in addition to all the house and its contents..

Why did I have to use rebar in every other cell and pumped concrete in all the cells in 3 of my 4 walls 10 foot high ??? Was it to support the house....NO NO NO NO. It was because I was backfilling the house on 3 sides WITH 9 and 1/2 feet of dirt that pushes in on the block...

Here is a little education for you Dave...mY best friend called me from work one day and said...you want to buy a 56 Ford pick up for 600.00 that runs from a female worker here? Yes I said. He then told me that her husband had died and she wanted the truck gone. He was working OUTSIDE WITH JACKSTANDS in the dirt on a chevy truck and the work site was almost perfectly level ...you could barely tell it had a slope when I went out to buy the truck...he had shook the truck installing the rear end and it fell on him. "JACKSTANDS" are very unstable...don't believe me...put a car on 4 jackstands and shake the car sideways...dare you. Long story short... had he had THOSE $1.65 concrete blocks....and I would have not have been able to buy that nice 56 Ford pick up he would be alive today.

READ A BOOK !!! GET SOME EDUCATION. Stay with corvairs...otherwise you are WAY OUT OF YOUR LANE. If you need more education...feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number...GOT IT !!

Date: January 10, 2020 06:38PM

joelsplace Wrote:
> I've never actually seen a cinder block but I have had concrete blocks break while holding up a car back when I was a teenager.

Were the concrete blocks turned up on their side or correctly used? What was their condition?

Date: January 10, 2020 06:40PM

john.jackson Wrote:
> If you have ever noticed how overpasses are built and supported during construction. Can you say that you ever saw cinder/concrete blocks used a support?
>
> I sure have never seen much but Heavy Timbers and or steel used for support during construction.
>
> As both Joel and Dave noted: Concrete/cinder blocks can fail with no warning and fatal results.
>
> I have 6x6 and 6x8 wood blocks to backup my jack stands.

Just for your information....overpasses are different from buildings or cars.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: January 10, 2020 07:17PM

The key is the extra lumber.grinning smiley

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 10, 2020 07:44PM

Sorry for trying to save lives.

If saving lives offends you, I'm sorry.

Yes a concrete block (CMU in today's talk) can support great loads, no argument there.

But there are people killed by cars when CMUs fail.

Have you ever seen a flaw in a CMU? I have. The strength of CMUs comes form "safety in numbers". A small flaw will be not be noticed because there is another CMU to take the load.

Now, place one CMU at each corner of the car ( I see you have wisely used wood as the interface between the CMU and the steel sharp edges. That alone eliminated a lot of danger of CMUs vs steel sharp edges) and have a small flaw crack one of the CMUs. Now, how do you feel holing the corner of the car with your chest?confused smiley

That's all it takes. Now, build a wall of CMUs and a wood top plate and I will get under there with you!thumbs up

Yes, I am a contractor. Yes, I am an engineer and can do the calculations to see how much weight a CMU wall can hold , or use the prescriptive tables.... But, no way will I trust my life to ONE CMU!

Single point of failure is not a good way to go.

Now, you also bring up another good point, that jack stands are only for use on proper substrate. They will easily sink into the ground, and while doing that twist and have the vehicle fall off of them.

When working on the ground, I use my small platform framing sections. Good resistance to sinking into the earth, and several "floor joists" so no singe point of failure. What I made are 14 1/2" or so square 1 x material nailed on top of 2 x 4s or 2 x 6s 14 1/2 " long and those are on similar 1 x material on the bottom. Like a cross section of floor with subfloor on top and a ceiling on the bottom. Add end brace so the joists will not fall over in unison!eye popping smiley

No matter what one uses to hold a vehicle in the air, they should understand the danger and make wise choices.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:00PM

When I was 18 years old my dad and I were working on my car with jack stands on dirt. The car shifted, fell and the brake rotor crushed my father's face. I lifted the car off my father and rushed him to the hospital. After that day there will always be two different safety devices holding up a car that I work on. Thank God he only needed stitches.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:41PM

Safety First!!

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Attachments:
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:22PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Monza:

> READ A BOOK !!! GET SOME EDUCATION. Stay with corvairs...otherwise you are WAY OUT OF YOUR LANE. If you need more education...feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number...GOT IT !!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guess what dip shit, I am a contractor and built houses, industrial complexes, shopping malls and ran my own custom home building business for almost 40 years in earthquake country of California with the most stringent Earthquake building codes in the country, I specialized in Houses built into the sides of mountains with poured in place concrete and block wall construction, I worked for all the big housing track companies like KB home, Paredee, Beazer homes and others as a job site superintendent, I have in fact built 1000's of houses and other buildings, I spent 5 years building Sizzler restaurants, I am also a Certified union electrician, My Resume is a mile long all in construction, once again you just spout your BS with no clue what you are talking about, you can use cinder blocks under your car all you want, Maybe you will learn when one falls on your head! Once again you are just A BLOW HARD A-HOLE WITH NO CLUE!

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 09:23PM by davemotohead.

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:38PM

red monza Wrote:
> Were the concrete blocks turned up on their side or correctly used? What was their condition?

Yes, they were the correct direction and there were no visible flaws. Granted there must have been flaws.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:11AM

Hmmmm...apparently red monza's life is only worth $1.65.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.