Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Smaller Airtex E8016S
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 10, 2020 06:37PM

I don't think I agree, at least not with the people I know. I may shop around for something of the same quality for a lower price but I very seldom look around for the cheapest thing, whether it be a garden rake, shoes, food, oil or car parts.
There's a difference between cheap stuff and high margins.
I've been very happy buying the same tried and true Airtex E8016S in the $40 - 50 range. They are now the same price but a poorer quality. Passed off as the same thing with the same part # but different.
To be honest I have trouble paying $79 for the same fuel pump that I can get for $45. I don't mind paying a little more to support companies I like but somewhere at some time I draw a line with A LOT MORE. I'm pretty loyal with things like pistons and gaskets but things like electric fuel pumps and spark plugs are hardly Corvair specific. But now I feel I've gone off topic.

Is the fuel pump above Facet or "facet style". I get the feeling of here we go again with Chinese knock-off crap.

About 40% of the replies I've gotten from Ebay sellers have the new Chinese. About 40 % don't know what they have. A few may still have some old ones and I'm in the process of verifying. I'm happy that they're taking the time to look into it for me. I'd like to get through this year with what I'm familiar with.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 10, 2020 07:16PM

,I just bought the Airtex pump on Amazon- still the old version, $30ish

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Date: January 11, 2020 01:17AM

I quoted $79 above and got to thinking I haven't really looked lately and maybe it isn't so bad. I looked and it's $82.65 with a picture of the new version.
From my perspective I try to find the best parts at the best prices. If my prices are high on commonly available parts people might think I'm trying to screw them on everything. $15 Wix oil filters come to mind.
I've sorta gone O/T from my main objection which is Made in China. New cheaper crap for the same price as the old good stuff.
I like to find good parts that work well and stick with them but it's increasingly difficult in today's world. I guess you can't blame Airtex for selling out but you can blame Trico for cheapening it up.
In actuality I haven't installed a Made in China fuel pump and had it fail. It's just my general suspicion that it will happen and I could be wrong. I had one Ebay seller write about Airtex high standards, it's no use arguing with them that it isn't Airtex anymore.
I don't think the older bigger fuel pump was filled with nothing. A smaller pump may work but run hotter. Now I'm jumping to conclusions again.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 11, 2020 05:46AM

I guess I have arrived at my opinion after years of working in the Auto Parts business and decades of being around Corvairs and their owners.

Smart shopping to get the best price on an identical quality item is much different than shopping based on price alone.

To clarify, the word "Cheap or Cheaper" can be interpreted in more than one way.
Consumers may mean Cheaper as a way of asking for a lower price but the manufacturer might see the same terms as meaning lower quality.

As a result, we as consumers need to stop using the term "Cheap or Cheaper" when asking for a better value, lower price, on comparable items.

When I bother to shop based on price, I first find an item I want then shop for that brand name and item or part number for the best price I can find, within a reasonable time. If I want or need it immediately, I'll pay more for the convenience of time.

In the end, I guess I am simply put off by the terms Cheap and Cheaper as much as I am by people that won't take the time, or make the effort to spell check, among other things.
I am also not a fan of those who use terms like "U" instead of "you" when communicating in advertisements or posting on forums such as this.
It is laziness such as this that leads to mis-understanding, confusion, etc...

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 11, 2020 02:15PM

Much much much better magnets available at reasonable cost. They don't need to be as big.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 04:02PM

Had excellent luck with the old Airtex E8016S. 2.5 psi has worked well on carbs in my experience. RockAuto was the last place I bought one, may need to see if they still have a few before they are gone!

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: January 12, 2020 04:52PM

I'm looking for a new fuel pump myself because the one I have seems to be leaking. I kind of suspect it is due to my regulator squeezing it down to 2.7 psi, when it wants to go in the 4-7psi range, but at the same time that feels wrong because why use a regulator if it spoils the pump.

I'm not so much interested in Point of Origin issues (Made in China or not, etc.) as I am Quality of Production (Does it work? Will it last?). If I replace this one it will be my third pump in 22 months on VERY little driving in that time.

Many folks are recommending Facet pumps. But are they made in the USA or not? If not, are they consistent in quality? (See links to what appears to be the same pump at vastly different prices and claims of origin.)

Facet Cylindrical 12v Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 2.75-4 psi
Facet Purolator Gold-Flo 2.75 To 4.0 Psi Electric Fuel Pump With Internal Replaceable Filter

So if Airtex has changed its manufacturer, does that translate to quality or not? I know I don't want to do this again and I'm tired of the overwhelming gas smell in my cabin due to the leak.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 13, 2020 09:23AM

Ratt643 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had excellent luck with the old Airtex E8016S. 2.5 psi has worked well on carbs in my experience. RockAuto was the last place I bought one, may need to see if they still have a few before they are gone!

The AirTex E8016S is rated at 4.5 PSI to 2 PSI. The lower 2 PSI pressure is for the maximum flow rating of 30GPH!!! That never happens on a Corvair unless you have huge leak. A pressure check will show the AirTex E8016S puts out 4 - 4.5 PSI consistently in a Corvair (at least the older AirTex units). The Corvair Rochester carburetor rating is 4 - 5 PSI. So the E8016S is a good match.

The turbo Carter carburetor pressure is less per Steve Goodman (and verified by others) and works best at 2 - 3 PSI and a pressure regulator is suggested.

Re: New pumps that are available as of 2020
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 13, 2020 10:59AM

You folks seem fixated on the cylindrical style pumps..

seems ALL of these pumps are MADE IN CHINA

Why not buy TWO of these and TEST...what I did decades ago with the Facet style for $3 ea. then... kept spare in the car... just in case!

[www.ebay.com] $12 ea.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 13, 2020 11:06AM

If the Ebay Globe pumps lasted more than 6 months/2000 miles. I wouldn't be looking at Airtex.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 11:07AM by Lane66m.

Date: January 13, 2020 11:41AM

Al, if you had bad luck with ONE Globe style... try the boxey Facet style...

I've never had to replace one!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 13, 2020 12:32PM

Could the boxy facet style be installed in the engine compartment near the regulator? If it can draw from there it seems like a much better way to deal with fuel smells--but is it then more susceptible to fires?

MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Date: January 13, 2020 04:33PM

Eric, Motohead and I, as well as a few others, mount in the engine compartment.

No problem with fire... far away from Fanbelt and the Distributor!

Facet's will pull fuel UP 3-4ft!

Date: January 14, 2020 04:41AM

I found an Ebay seller with old stock so I bought 5 of them. $45 neighborhood is about what I've been paying.
There were a few more Ebay sellers who were kind enough to check their stock but they had the new ones.
Airtex selling out to Trico is not a recent development so it just took a while.
I'm not much of an Amazon guy but I did have a look. Picture shows the new one.

It would be the same thing for me if switching to Facet. Is it a Facet pump or a cheap look-alike Made in China?

I was not prejudiced to Made in China. Over time I have formed a bad opinion based on experience with many things that were close but just not as good or needed massaging to fit.

I don't just slap an electric fuel pump in. There's too much labor involved to take a chance on a cheap part although once everything is fabricated it wouldn't be so bad to just change the pump. I like to mount them low so draining the tank or some other provision would be needed.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 09:18PM

66vairman Wrote:
> vairmech Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > alphasud Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Here is another option.
> > > [www.pegasusautoracing.com]
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >

> Guess I'll be going that route and dump the AirTex.
>
> Years ago I ordered a Carter fuel pump that looked identical to the AirText, but it was considerably LOUDER in operation.

Did you not use rubber isolators when mounting the pump cut down on pump noise?

Bryan

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: January 16, 2020 10:13PM

I think these are pretty quiet but a little isolation never hurt. Hopefully they will keep making these in the USA.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 17, 2020 10:45AM

didget69 Wrote:
> 66vairman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > vairmech Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > alphasud Wrote:
> > > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > > Here is another option.
> > > > [www.pegasusautoracing.com]
> > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > >
>
> > Guess I'll be going that route and dump the AirTex.
> >
> > Years ago I ordered a Carter fuel pump that looked identical to the AirText, but it was considerably LOUDER in operation.
>
> Did you not use rubber isolators when mounting the pump cut down on pump noise?
>
> Bryan

INCLUDING isolation with isolator the Carter pump was considerably louder than the AirTex original style, not the new smaller unit. I did this test years ago. No complaints with the older AirTex. I've never tried the Faucet - YET, but davemotohead has nothing but good things to say about the Faucet pump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2020 10:47AM by 66vairman.

Date: January 17, 2020 10:50AM

66vairman Wrote:

I've never tried the Faucet - YET.

======================================

I'd just give in and start buying the cheapest / easiest to find unit....

I believe they are all made offshore...and have been!

Everyone will bee happy with the small BOXY style pumps...and just mounting on

some simple grommets really quiets them down.

Date: January 17, 2020 11:19AM

I've ordered the generic Facet-style box pump that Matt recommended. I almost bought the name-brand, but then I realized I trust Matt's judgement in this area more than my own.

Due Wednesday. We'll see.

Eric

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Date: January 17, 2020 11:21AM

You da man! GGG

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.