Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Smaller Airtex E8016S
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 09, 2020 10:20AM

I purchased an Airtex E8016S on Ebay which I've done several times in the last year or two. What arrived is much smaller than what I'm accustomed to. When I called the Tech Support on the instruction sheet the phone was answered as Carter and I got a chance to leave a recorded message for a callback which I did not do.

I looked up Airtex and called their Tech Support. She said Airtex and Carter were both bought out by Trico.

Do I need to be alarmed by this new smaller pump?
Has anyone tried one?
It's in an Aitex box (smaller) with the proper part # which doesn't mean much in this day and age.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 10:23AM by JimBrandberg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Smaller Airtex E8016S
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 09, 2020 10:29AM

Photo? I just bought a couple myself.

This is what I got, except the filter has a permanent hose nipple on it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Date: January 09, 2020 11:09AM

The length is about the same but the diameter is down from 2" to 1 1/2" and the filter is smaller too.
The comparison photo is not good but I didn't want to open it yet.
It just seems that the big companies can buy everything up and then put whatever they want in the boxes.
I just looked at the box and it says "Made in China" so I will return it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Attachments:

Date: January 09, 2020 11:43AM

The good ones I'm used to come in a box 2.75 x 2.75 x 8.25".
The smaller Made in China one came in a box 2.25 x 3.25 x 6".
I believe that since the Ebay photo shows the good pump and the box size description is the bigger one I should be able to return it for a refund or exchange it for a good one.
I've contacted the Ebay seller where I got my last good one to confirm that they still have the good ones.
I try my best not to accept Chinese crap as the real thing and certainly don't want to install crap in someone else's Corvair.
I'm supplying the information so you folks won't be hoodwinked like I was.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: January 09, 2020 11:57AM

Jim,

Back in September of 2019 I ordered an Airtex E8016S pump from Summit.

What I got was an Airtex box (with the right number on it) containing a totally different pump! eye popping smiley

It was too long and had built in hose nipples (part of the pump, could not be unscrewed) and it would never fit a Corvair.

I called Summit and they checked and told me that Airtex (now owned by Trico) had subbed a 'replacement pump' because they were out of the E8016S. They apologized, told me to keep the pump and they refunded my money that day!!! smileys with beer

I can't ask for better service, but I wondered where to get a correct pump.

I checked with California Corvairs and they had the correct one in stock. I placed the order and got the pump in 2 days. It is installed and partially hooked up. I need to finish the wiring. Family business took over and by the time I got back to it the temperature was too cold for an old phart like me to get on the concrete and crawl under the car!

At least I have the "correct" Airtex pump! I know it will work because I have installed them in other Corvairs. I use the mechanical pump until it fails, then go electric. If you haven't had a mechanical fuel pump fail and flood the crankcase with gas you are very lucky!

I hope the Airtex E8016S hasn't gone the way of the Dodo bird! sad smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: January 09, 2020 12:17PM

Here is another option.
[www.pegasusautoracing.com]

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 09, 2020 12:34PM

Interesting and thanks for posting this.
I received one yesterday that is the same smaller one. Hadn't had time to investigate yet.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 09, 2020 01:13PM

Quite often in the Auto Parts business, when someone changes their product line, the old product gets a new label stuck on the old box or in some instances, the part gets stuck into a new box with the new part number.

There is a good chance that even though the box says Airtex, it could be something else unless Airtex is actually imprinted or engraved somehow on the pump.

One way to possibly get an answer would be to look up the other brand name parts and see if the photo's look like the pump you have. No guarantee, but....it might answer the question as to who made it.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: jsnstanley ()
Date: January 09, 2020 04:07PM

I recently ordered this from Summit and it came as the smaller version. Same part number on box but number on pump was odd. Sent pump back for replacement because the number crossed over to a Carter pump with similar specs but slightly higher output. When I received the replacement pump it was also the same smaller version. I sent it back again. Ordered the pump from Clark’s, for more confidence. The pump I received from Clark’s was exactly the same smaller version. ugh! After All… Works as it should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 04:09PM by jsnstanley.

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: January 09, 2020 04:51PM

I actually used the Carter pump for about 20 years on a 65 coupe. I mounted it vertically beside the tank behind the wheel well and attached it to the pinchweld with a single bolt. It was quiet and I triggered it using a vega style oil pressure switch. That said, it was long and needed the room beside the tank to be mounted. I used metal lines to do a 180° turn at the top end, if that makes sense. That said, I will try to get the older, larger version to put into my coupe down the road, so to speak.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd.
2020 Corvette HTC 3LT,Z51,FE4 (on order)

Date: January 09, 2020 06:40PM

I would not have a problem with a smaller pump if it worked okay. On the Airtex box it says "Made In China", that's where my perceived problem is.

jsnstanley did your boxes say "Made In China" on them?

I just don't want to be installing cheap knock-off crap on other people's Corvairs if I can help it. "Works as it should" is good but how long will it last is my fear.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 10, 2020 04:53AM

I contacted the Ebay place where I got my last "good" pump hoping they had some more in stock.

He replied "I checked at my warehouse all they have are the cheaper pumps now. I don’t think Airtex is making them I think they are just reboxing a cheaper pump.
I stopped selling them when I saw them doing that. The quality just isn’t there."

I just hate a world where we know how to make good things but stop doing it in favor of making cheap throwaway knock-off things. There's a lot of Corvair parts where I keep the 50 year old originals when possible because the new stuff is not as good. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 10, 2020 05:13AM

alphasud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is another option.
> [www.pegasusautoracing.com]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a couple of these pumps and they are good. There is a built in screen in the bottom that you see twists off. They were also used in a few older aircraft!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: January 10, 2020 05:41AM

I contacted 18 Ebay sellers with this same message:

The new Airtex E8016S are smaller and Made in China. I'd like to buy some of the old ones while they are still available.
The good ones I'm used to come in a box 2.75 x 2.75 x 8.25".
The smaller Made in China one came in a box 2.25 x 3.25 x 6" and said "Made in China".
Both are in red and black Airtex boxes.
Do you know what you have in stock? Thanks, Jim Brandberg Corvair Repair LLC

It seems I could have gone on and on. I assumed a lot of the Ebay listings were just repeats from the same seller but all these had different names.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:45AM

If we have to buy Chinese sourced pumps... Here's ebay's selection;

[www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:10AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> I contacted 18 Ebay sellers...

> It seems I could have gone on and on. I assumed a lot of the Ebay listings were just repeats from the same seller but all these had different names.

As you guessed, there are thousands of sellers on ebay that carry no stock and never, ever set eyes on a single item they list. They and simply drop shippers using the same common selling program offered by a single supplier that makes it look like there are competing sellers fighting for your business on eBay. I'll bet you could choose any of those 18 sellers and they would all ship the same part from the same place.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 09:10AM by azdave.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:56AM

vairmech Wrote:
> alphasud Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Here is another option.
> > [www.pegasusautoracing.com]
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> I have a couple of these pumps and they are good. There is a built in screen in the bottom that you see twists off. They were also used in a few older aircraft!

Hmmmm - 2.5PSI seems low for a Vair.

Davemotohead has used the Facet #40105 for years - [www.pegasusautoracing.com]

Also sold by Aircraft Spruce and on Amazon.

Guess I'll be going that route and dump the AirTex.

Years ago I ordered a Carter fuel pump that looked identical to the AirText, but it was considerably LOUDER in operation.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 10, 2020 09:57AM

2.5 is good for a turbo.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2020 10:21AM

facet style we've been using for decades [www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 10, 2020 01:08PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:

> I just hate a world where we know how to make good things but stop doing it in favor of making cheap throwaway knock-off things. There's a lot of Corvair parts where I keep the 50 year old originals when possible because the new stuff is not as good. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

How many times have you heard someone looking to purchase almost anything ask "Don't you have anything cheaper?".

The problem here as I see it, is the person asking may mean "do you have anything of comparable quality for a lower price"

The seller hears "I am looking for something of poor quality, that won't last and does not cost as much".

In the end, the manufacturers get the feedback and take appropriate action.
Since they are not in this to make high quality parts that will last a long time, but rather to make money by selling more product over time, the customer suffers.
The manufacturers respond by outsourcing production to provide products that will work about as long as their warranty period, then fail so the customer needs to purchase more product.
Unfortunately for us, we lose. Not only do we get an inferior product, it often comes at the same, or sometimes a higher price than what was offered previously.

In the end, the consumer has asked for cheaper (less expensive) products and the manufacturers are now giving us what they feel we asked for (Cheap, Poor Quality) products.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.