Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: V8 Owners - Has anyone ever used the late 80's Firebird style air intake for the radiator?
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 09, 2020 08:17PM

For anyone interested, here is a picture of the relief vents I was talking about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V8 Owners - Has anyone ever used the late 80's Firebird style air intake for the radiator?
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 10, 2020 05:24AM

VairKing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is what I am doing on my V6 GTP car. Will it work? Time will tell. You can't see the cutouts unless you get down low. 69 Camaro spoiler to direct air in.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think you will need more air dam than that Camaro spoiler provides, Look at the Firebird picture!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: January 10, 2020 05:47AM

vairmech Wrote:

> I think you will need more air dam than that Camaro spoiler provides, Look at the Firebird picture!

Perhaps, but it is impossible for me to tell without real world testing. I am no aero engineer, just a backyard shade tree mechanic so I will start with this and see what happens. The nice thing is I can always change air dams and add larger cutouts if needed, which is what I would rather do than starting at the extreme end.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 10, 2020 06:57AM

VairKing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
....just a backyard shade tree mechanic so I will start with this and see what happens.

Remember, giving the hot air a place to flow easily after passing through the radiator is just as important as ducting it in.

I haven't chimed in here yet because I don't run a front radiator. The radiator for my 455 Olds engine is in the back seat area under the engine cover. I run two, 2-speed Ford Taurus E-fans. Having a place for the hot air to go is half the battle, literally. I think it is more of a battle with my radiator location but I still have a full trunk and no holes in the body.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:02AM

The air coming into my radiator will have to make an immediate 90 degree turn after going through the radiator and exit through a fairly large hole in the trunk floor. I have had similar success with this on my V8 car, but I don't have the stock gas tank in that car so that space is used to dump the hot air. I know this isn't ideal, but it is what I am starting with so I can put the battery up front for weight purposes and retain the stock gas tank. I plan to use the rear trunk for trunk space. I don't think my V6 will require quite the cooling capacity as the old school V8, so that should help my cause.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:13AM

Might want to think about that battery placement. Since you have the mass concentration forward of the rear wheels I would want the battery just forward of the engine and on the right side.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 10, 2020 08:34AM

Not pretty but i had to add a few more holes this past September. 98 degrees + 650 hp created a lot of heat. was able to get it down to 220 water and 250 oil.Exits out the bottom. Mike

Attachments:
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.