Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shock Absorbers Then and Now
Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: January 11, 2020 07:23PM

Agree. Disc pads are so easy to replace it's almost a non-issue. But my experience with their life has luckily been much better.
My most recent daily-driver was a 2004 Buick Regal GS and I replaced the fronts at about 60k for the first set and another 80k for the second set from Autozone. The 'Zone pads were also surprisingly very good at stopping too.
Now it's got larger Z28 brakes, but a more aggressive pad material so may, or may not last as long?

ON the struts, the factory originals were astoundingly good right up to when they weren't at about 140k or so. They did not leak or make noise, or drive poorly. I could just tell the damping was just not quite as good as it used to be. Really pained me to have to change them because I was worried that any replacements would not be as good. Fears were well founded, but the new ones are "good enough" I suppose. KYB adjustables on the front and Bilstein on the back.

Back when the car was current the GM Performance Parts replacement struts were Koni, which I thought was pretty cool.

The absolute worst shocks I ever had from the factory were the Bilsteins on a Chevy K1500 and the best shocks for any of my trucks I've had are aftermarket Bilstein 5100's. Guessing that GM specified certain valving and it just did not suit me at all.
They were so bad I bet they would have lasted a very long time!

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 12, 2020 06:44AM

My daily driver is a 2010 Focus coupe. I bought it in December 2014 with just over 11,000 miles. Last month it turned 100,000 miles.
Shortly after purchasing it I had to replace the electric fan motor & assembly.
At some point around 50,000 miles the idler pulley was replaced.
At 80,000 miles the original front brake pads were replaced, I also replaced the rotors because it was cost effective.
At 95,000 miles I had the cooling system flushed as a precaution after the thermostat failed "open".
The upper motor mount was also replaced which eliminated the slight vibration that had slowly taken place.
At 100.000 the spark plugs were replaced as a part of the recommended service interval.
While replacing the spark plugs it was determined the Valve cover gasket was leaking so it was replaced at the same time.
In the next few weeks the Power Steering Reservoir will be replaced as it has begun leaking.
I suspect it may have been damaged while the upper motor mount was being replaced this past fall buy a flat rate technician at the dealer I took it to while on vacation.
In the 90,000 mile I have driven this car over the past five years, it has averaged just under 35 MPG.
The biggest PITA about this car are the tires. I have had more flat tires on this car in five years than on my other five vehicles in ten years combined. (Inner City Driving)
As a result of circumstance rather than wear, I have replaced the tires on this car twice in five years. They are a 50 series 16" tire.
The set on the car when I bought it were Kuhmo's and I did not like them. I got a couple of flat tires, one of which damaged the sidewall. I used that as an excuse to replace them all.
I installed Michelin, immediately got another flat and about a year later hit a pot hole that blew out both sidewalls on one tire.
In the meantime the tire had been discontinued so once again I replaced them all. The tires currently on the car are Pirelli's and have had one flat so far on this set.
Overall this has been a good car and Yes, I would buy it again.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: January 13, 2020 09:13PM

Carahaloic, There must be a lot of debris littered streets in your area to get that many flats!
We see a lot cars in our shop with bent rims and cut tires, and based on what I see on the street, they are often young drivers who drive around in total oblivion making no effort to avoid trash or pot holes! Probably because someone else is paying the bill.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 15, 2020 08:23AM

Technically Shock absorbers are the Springs. What we call shocks are dampeners.
I remember this from the GM Tech training I did 40 years ago!eye rolling smiley

So I have never had to replace "shocks" here in Southern Kalyphornya. But the dampers indeed, when they do not pass the bounce test or leak... that's with street cars of course! Just have to use the generic terminology when buying parts like these.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Corventure Dave

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.