Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What is the best way to remove overspray?
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: January 07, 2020 04:57PM

My body man did his best to keep it covered but I have a few problems anyway. He said it must come up from under the cover. What is best to remove it from the paint. I used a razor blade to get it off the glass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the best way to remove overspray?
Posted by: persh ()
Date: January 07, 2020 05:27PM

It depends on how bad the over spray is. If it's not too bad you can sometimes solve the issue with a clay bar. If it's worse you'll need to use some polishing compound and a buffer to take care of it. Does it have a clear coat? If so, you may have to wet sand with some 1200 grit sandpaper, them something a little finer, say 2000 or 2500 and then buff with your polishing compound. Meguiar's #2 or something similar works well.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:22AM

It is base coat clear coat. I believe that the clear coat is causing the problem.

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: January 08, 2020 09:11AM

Give Meguiars's Ultimate Compound a try, it's worked wonders for me.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 08, 2020 10:40AM

Before spraying paint or clear... better job masking and checking for tape and paper separating leaving gaps.

After painting, one has to be real careful to not damage the visible finish.
If one is lucky, WD40 or some cleaners may work. But for heavier over spray polishing is many times the best option.
Here one has to be careful not to compound polish too deeply. Also polish compound can dull the wanted finish.
Depending on how much over spray there is, you can se why I opened this opinion with better masking.

Can you post a picture of the areas?

Corventure Dave

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 08, 2020 05:17PM

I just painted my really slick 64 Corvair convertible a few months ago...had a little overspray on the interior....I think I used 1500 sandpaper and removed it on the door, then compounded it. Some I cleaned with PROFESSIONAL wax and grease remover from my paint supplier ( I think its a very mild clean lacquer thinner). And in the door jambs I had left a door cracked when I put the gray primer/sealer on and then due to the masked paper and ready to spray, left the door ajar...sealer did not get covered with the yellow. Had to sand it down with 600 and then used a cheapo air brush to repaint the yellow...worked GREAT !!Those are 3 ways to try and remove the overspray.Never heard of clear causing overspray.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: January 09, 2020 03:22PM

Start with the clay bar kit. I have been simply amazed at what it will remove. Sometimes the overspray is almost dry before it hits the surface, making it eas6 to remove.

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:01AM

Second the clay bar. A heavy duty rubbing compound will take off any overspray that’s left. I wouldn’t recommend sanding. Overspray tends to gum up the paper which causes scratches in the finish.

IMO the body shop should take care of this. We would at mine.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 11, 2020 07:44PM

streblerm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Second the clay bar. A heavy duty rubbing compound will take off any overspray that’s left. I wouldn’t recommend sanding. Overspray tends to gum up the paper which causes scratches in the finish.
>
> IMO the body shop should take care of this. We would at mine.

Any REPUTABLE shop would in a heart-beat!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: January 12, 2020 03:45PM

Thanks to all. I will try thy the clay bar if I can find one.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: January 12, 2020 05:03PM

www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-California-Clay-Bar-System/15137646

Any Walmart, auto parts store, etc will have the clay bar kit you need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 05:05PM by VairKing.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 12, 2020 07:20PM

I paid a body shop 50.00 to rent their paint booth for a day to paint my 51 Ford shoebox. The papering took longer to do and the rep had to leave. The BASF REP agreed to paint the car for free as he and I both had problems with 5 coats covering a gray primer at my old house...it was a med blue as I am a BLUE THROUGH AND THROUGH. I did not cover the engine as I should have and got overspray on the valve covers, etc.

I paid over $20.00 for a MOTHER'S CLAY BAR to remove the overspray...I tried everything I could to get the overspray off with that bar....NOTHING...after two days I gave that clay bar to anyone at a car show that wanted it...IT WAS A BIG FAT ZERO for me. I put some wax and grease pre sand and pre paint on the valve covers...NICE after that.

My friend Butch painted my Corvette outside under pine trees with catalyzed enamel BASF paint. He painted one day and he told me to come back down the next day and I started sanding the whole car. On my 49 Chevy, I painted on one day and started sanding the whole car down the next day...on my 64 Corvair conv that I painted a couple of months ago outside like the 49, I started sanding the next day and it was a hard Urethane single stage paint. NO CLOGS in the sandpaper, but some runs for sure but all of them are slick slick slick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.