Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Advice needed on Corsa dash rebuild or upgrade
Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 08, 2020 07:21AM

The Westach gauge fits fine but I did need to adjust the bezel height a bit to match the VDO clock height.
VDO fuel gauge
VDO clock
VDO speedo
VDO GPS speed sender
VDO vacuum/boost gauge
OR FOR a 140
VDO Vacuum gauge
VDO Tach

Actually, I think I bought the GPS speed sensor from Amazon because it was a lot cheaper than Summit.

You will need to do all the wiring. I have extra connector pins I could send you for the GM connector shell if you want. I can also make you a circuit for the alternator warning light. Other than that, you got to be comfortable with soldering/crimping part to keep it reliable. I have a few more pictures I can email you as well.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: January 08, 2020 01:13PM

That gauge layout looks nice and was one of the things I considered when doing mine.

I have a 'box' of Dash's from various Corvairs (Corsa, 3-Hole, Auto, Manual, all LM's) that I could have chosen from. I spent a considerable amount of time searching catalogs trying to find the best layout.

When I discovered Dakota Digital I even modified one (it ain't pretty!) so a "standard" DD Panel would fit. I finally got the nerve to ask the Custom Department at Dakota Digital if they had ever done a Corvair Dash before. The end result was a really neat Custom Instrument Panel that works better than I anything I could have put together!

If you want to do your own I see one item I would change! If you want/need a Vacuum/Pressure gauge for the Intake please don't run a "tube" from the engine to the dash! thumbs down

Use an electric gauge with the sensor in the engine compartment and 'one more wire' going to the gauge! drinking smiley

After 'modifying' cars for almost 60 years I have probably made ALL the mistakes you can make! Putting a 'tube' (hose, etc) filled with Oil, Air, Gas or Brake Fluid where it doesn't belong (trying to 'measure' something) never ends well. sad smiley

Good Luck with your new Dash! grinning smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: January 08, 2020 01:25PM

Thanks, Jetcat- this is very helpful- I think I'm Ok with crimping and soldering- it's the layout that scares me-Phil

etcat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Westach gauge fits fine but I did need to adjust the bezel height a bit to match the VDO clock height.
> VDO fuel gauge
> VDO clock
> VDO speedo
> VDO GPS speed sender
> VDO vacuum/boost gauge
> OR FOR a 140
> VDO Vacuum gauge
> VDO Tach
>
> Actually, I think I bought the GPS speed sensor from Amazon because it was a lot cheaper than Summit.
>
> You will need to do all the wiring. I have extra connector pins I could send you for the GM connector shell if you want. I can also make you a circuit for the alternator warning light. Other than that, you got to be comfortable with soldering/crimping part to keep it reliable. I have a few more pictures I can email you as well.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 08, 2020 09:29PM

Bob - Good work on the isolation of the junctions. Did you consider replacing the stock thermistor and switch with a futting and installing the thermocouples directly into the original locations. No air flow blockage. (Or no more than stock.) Westach sells a fitting that fits right into the head, and the probe can slide right up against the valve seat <grin>.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 09, 2020 04:52AM

Here is what I worked up for a hybrid dash. Since I have an automatic, I don't really need a tach, so I went this route:

It features a Monza speedo and gas gauge (but could accommodate a Corsa speedo - I am going to use a '67 speed warning speedo), Corsa clock and head temp gauge, and an aftermarket oil pressure and temp gauges.

I've since restored the dash face, and added a '67 "washer/wiper" bar, since it would go in a '67.

-Mark

Attachments:

Date: January 09, 2020 07:21AM

I did use the Westach fitting and probe type thermocouple in my 110 heads. I needed to use a 3/8"x16 to 3/8"x24 additional adapter though. Next time I would probably just put in a 3/8"x24 timecert because those brass adapters are very delicate. The trick was to use the probe and the idiot light snap switch, that's why I made the alu block that the probe adapter holds against the head. Works on the 110 head but not on my turbo. The alu block + snap switch will not fit because of the '66 turbo head design. I still want the idiot light and buzzer so that's why I need to make a circuit for the Westach probe output to switch on the light if a over temp is detected.

Seth Emerson Wrote:
> Bob - Good work on the isolation of the junctions. Did you consider replacing the stock thermistor and switch with a futting and installing the thermocouples directly into the original locations. No air flow blockage. (Or no more than stock.) Westach sells a fitting that fits right into the head, and the probe can slide right up against the valve seat <grin>.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa

Date: January 09, 2020 11:19AM

jetcat Wrote:
> I did use the Westach fitting and probe type thermocouple in my 110 heads. I needed to use a 3/8"x16 to 3/8"x24 additional adapter though. Next time I would probably just put in a 3/8"x24 timecert because those brass adapters are very delicate. The trick was to use the probe and the idiot light snap switch, that's why I made the alu block that the probe adapter holds against the head. Works on the 110 head but not on my turbo. The alu block + snap switch will not fit because of the '66 turbo head design. I still want the idiot light and buzzer so that's why I need to make a circuit for the Westach probe output to switch on the light if a over temp is detected.
>
>
>
>
> Seth Emerson Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Bob - Good work on the isolation of the junctions. Did you consider replacing the stock thermistor and switch with a futting and installing the thermocouples directly into the original locations. No air flow blockage. (Or no more than stock.) Westach sells a fitting that fits right into the head, and the probe can slide right up against the valve seat <grin>.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:37PM

I see, Bob. I guess if you want to temp-check both heads AND have the snap switch, you off set it with your bracket, Aside from the "Under the plug" design, is there another location to "Take the temp? Say Ahhhhh!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.