Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Advice needed on Corsa dash rebuild or upgrade
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: January 06, 2020 02:22PM

The dash on my 66 Corsa turbo is trash- the only thing working is the tach and I'm not certain it is accurate. What aftermarket gauges (including tach and speedo) would be good replacements for an OEM look but with 21st-century accuracy and reliability-
I'm assuming I'd start with Seth's gauge cluster brackets and build out from there and I have a westach dual CHT gauge (black-faced) that I think maybe good-
Hoping that a forum member has compiled a list of parts that would make it easy to acquire everything all at once- (I am not opposed to a GPS speedo- just would like a classic look-

I stand awaiting the wisdom of those more fortunate than myself-- Thanks, Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice needed on Corsa dash rebuild or upgrade
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 06, 2020 02:37PM

While waiting, This would be a great opportunity try our search function, or a google search with corsa dash, corvair center forum. Mine is stock, but there have been plenty of upgrades.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: January 06, 2020 02:59PM

Yes, search - I spent this afternoon searching (1 1/2 hours-- 7 pages of threads) - many threads on dash upgrades- very few with specific recommendations... additionally the FAQ's section has many dead/links- if this gathers a good response it could be a sticky that is very useful.

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: January 06, 2020 03:18PM

I have an entire set of speedhut gauges for a corsa cluster that I did a few years back. They are great gauges but my issue is that you can't eliminate the LCD screen and I just don't love that look. I'll get some pictures up when I can.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 06, 2020 03:22PM

Unfortunately, you are correct about the F.A.Q.'s, there are several dead-end links in there.
I try to report them when I find one.
I don't know if it has ever led to one being removed, or updated with a working link, BUT it makes me feel good about doing something proactive for the greater good of the Forum. grinning smiley

Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations on a Corsa cluster upgrade.
My dash upgrade consists of installation of a Corsa Instrument Cluster. smiling bouncing smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 03:24PM by American Mel.

Date: January 06, 2020 03:40PM

Thanks Mel- I would also report the deadlinks when I find them but who/how do you communicate directly with adminstrators?-- Same is true when I sell something-
I can't mark it sold - I have to wait and bother Matt or someone to do it... In any case, I'm hoping this thread will turn up some solid advice on classic looking gauge conversions that don't break the bank... also wishing for world peace....lol

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 06, 2020 03:50PM

As I was restoring my 65 Corsa, I got all the gauges working first. That was pretty easy. The toughie was the speedometer. Parts for that are really hard to find. I discovered that most parts from a Monza speedo will repair a Corsa. I did have to take the gauge itself to a speedo shop to have it calibrated. It's done magnetecly on a special machine. The guy didn't even charge me to do it. I got a quartz conversion kit to rebuild the clock. The fuel gauge & tach only needed a good ground. The head temp needed a new thermister ( they are available ). And finally, as the panel was all apart anyway, I put red bulbs in all the gauges & painted the insides of the gauges "cans" silver instead of the factory light green. The orange gauge needles didn't show up well so they got painted silver too. To finish it all, I hydro dipped a beautiful wood grain finish on the instrument panel, the radio plate,& the glove box surround & door. That part was hard to do & took many tries. I'll bet there aren't any other Corsa's with a beautiful dashboard like mine. Doug Ward

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 06, 2020 03:54PM

I just went through a Corsa and 2 Monza instrument panels. Checking all instruments and replacing any bad ones. Only had a bad tach in Corsa one. I put quartz clock update on Corsa and 1 Monza panel.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 03:55PM by Lane66m.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 06, 2020 04:01PM

I should have added, if your paint is ratty, Dave moto, has posted a good refurb procedure if you want stock look there.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: January 06, 2020 04:06PM

I put Autometer gauges in mine. This was before Seth’s brackets existed so I made my own. No regrets.

Attachments:
Date: January 06, 2020 04:17PM

I'm reluctant to do my dash over with old instruments unless I go thru the expense of getting them refurb'ed beforehand. that said I think the cost of that would approach if not exceed the cost of installing all-new gauges (like Autometer, et. al.)

The idea of a GPS speedo intrigues me also.

Anyone with good/bad opinions on GPS speedos?

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 06, 2020 04:24PM

Something that may be of interest.

[corvaircenter.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: January 06, 2020 04:31PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something that may be of interest.
>
> [corvaircenter.com]

Very interesting and thank you for posting it- but the picture link of the mock-up was "dead"- and it sounded very expensive- I'm just looking for a practical replacement that retains as much of the classic (OEM) look...

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: January 06, 2020 09:52PM

Al, thanks for pointing out my "Custom Dash!"

I'm sorry the picture didn't turn out well. I will see if I can post a couple here.

When looking at instrumentation on a Corvair it is better to go with a modern upgrade than trying to 'fix' the 50 year old gauges. My "Custom Instrument Panel" was done by Dakota Digital and cost me $1,400. It is for a late model "3-hole dash" so it is not exactly a 'Corsa' dash but I am sure they could do one for those as well.

The advantage to this layout is the removal of ALL long runs of wires, tubes, and Speedometer cable. It cleans it up a lot and adds a lot of displays not available when the car was new.

I mounted the "Control Box" (where you connect all the sensors) behind the rear seat. I put a Mil Spec connector that my custom wiring harness plugs into. It is to the left of the "Air Box" (where the input and cooling air comes in).

I have sensors on the engine to measure Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, & Battery Voltage. I have a sensor wire from the Ignition Coil for the Tach and I still have the Oil Pressure Snap Switch/Overtemp Switch connected as well.

I ran a 10 conductor, 22 gauge cable from the front Dash connector to the rear for the Lighting and Turn Signal monitoring along with the Gas Gauge sensor.

When installing it I found that the Speedometer Cable (from the left front wheel) was in bad shape so I went ahead and bought the GPS Speedometer unit from Dakota Digital. It plugs directly into the Control Box and drives the Speedometer.

The Output of the Control Box feeds the Instrument Panel with a CAT6 Cable. The Panel is sealed and mounts directly to the Corvair 3-hole dash. It has fooled several people when I ask them to spot what I have done to the dash.

I had looked at adding new individual instruments, running additional wires and still having a 'mess of wires' behind the Dash this was actually cheaper (I like high end gauges and fancy wiring).

It turns out I was the first Corvair person to ask them to "do" a Corvair Dash so now that they know how it may be a 'little' cheaper!?

If you want to keep the Corsa Dash you might ask them what they can do. There Custom Department had me send them a '3-hole dash' (no instruments) so they could see what they could do. I am sure they would like to quote on a set of Instruments for the Corsa dash.

I highly recommend Dakota Digital. They do excellent work at what I consider a reasonable price. The 'trick' is getting the Control Box near the engine (they don't recommend putting in the 'engine compartment') so we don't have to run lots and lots of extra wiring.

They have 'add-on' boxes that can measure Vacuum/Boost for a Turbo, read Exhaust Temps, etc. I suggest you look at their website to see what they do!

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Attachments:

Posted by: billh1963 ()
Date: January 07, 2020 08:10AM

That right side gauge with fuel level, voltage level, oil temp and oil pressure is very Porsche like!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
1964 Monza Coupe Bahama Green
1965 Monza 140 Corvette Yellow metal flake (Canadian Corsa Clone)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (WRN)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (LOS)
1965 Corsa 140 Crocus Yellow
1966 Corsa 140 Marina Blue project
1966 Corsa 140 Convertible Ermine White (Project or Parts)
1966 Monza 140 Convertible Lemonwood Yellow (Project or Parts)
1969 Monza 110-PG Dover White
Right in the middle of South Carolina

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 07, 2020 08:17AM

billh1963 Wrote:
> That right side gauge with fuel level, voltage level, oil temp and oil pressure is very Porsche like!

So is the center-mounted tach.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: January 07, 2020 09:07AM

If you want the displays put into different 'windows' DD will do that for a 'small extra charge!' hot smiley

I love this Custom Dash! The Speedometer is in the right place, the Tach replaces the BLANK, and the Idiot Lights have been replaced by the 4 gauge display!

What more could I ask for? grinning smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 07, 2020 09:11AM

I went with Seth's gauge mounts and all VDO gauges with the exception of using a Westach dual CHT. It was very reasonable in price and they all work great!!!! Kept the same basic layout but had to switch the vacuum gauge with the fuel gauge for fitment. The GPS speedo is the best and the VDO receiver is a small black box that fits indiscreetly on the center dash. The cable easily fits through a defroster vent. I did remove the big VDO white letters on top and painted it black.

I didn't like using the spark plug thermocouples for the CHT gauge so I made aluminum offset mounts for the snap switch and then utilized the Westach probe thermocouples. Much better system. This will not work on 140 or turbo heads however without blocking airflow. I have 110 heads on my Corsa right now. I also made a little refrigerator for the CHT cold junction by using a Peltier cell and a cheap temp regulator. Set the temp for 60F and no matter what the ambient temp is the CHT always displays accurately.

For the idiot lights, I used super bright LEDs on the tach and speedo sides. The only added home-built circuit I needed for this was a comparator circuit for the alternator/fan light. I posted the circuit a while back at Corvair Center.

I did the same dash on my Turbo recently but I need to make another circuit for the CHT idiot light since the snap switch isn't a great idea with the probe type thermocouples. Again, I plan to make another comparator circuit that uses the output of the probe to switch on the idiot light when it exceeds the maximum temperature threshold. I will keep it electrically isolated from the probe output so it won't affect the gauge.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Attachments:

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 07, 2020 09:12AM

More pics!

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Attachments:

Date: January 07, 2020 11:07AM

I really like what you have done-think I want to do the same- Do you have model/part #'s for the gauges, tach, and speedo handy? I also have the Westech dual CHT gauge and knowing that it fits/looks good is a relief- Is all that wiring custom or is there a harness available that will make it more plug and play- I clearly do not have your talent. Phil

jetcat Wrote:
> I went with Seth's gauge mounts and all VDO gauges with the exception of using a Westach dual CHT. It was very reasonable in price and they all work great!!!! Kept the same basic layout but had to switch the vacuum gauge with the fuel gauge for fitment. The GPS speedo is the best and the VDO receiver is a small black box that fits indiscreetly on the center dash. The cable easily fits through a defroster vent. I did remove the big VDO white letters on top and painted it black.
>
> I didn't like using the spark plug thermocouples for the CHT gauge so I made aluminum offset mounts for the snap switch and then utilized the Westach probe thermocouples. Much better system. This will not work on 140 or turbo heads however without blocking airflow. I have 110 heads on my Corsa right now. I also made a little refrigerator for the CHT cold junction by using a Peltier cell and a cheap temp regulator. Set the temp for 60F and no matter what the ambient temp is the CHT always displays accurately.
>
> For the idiot lights, I used super bright LEDs on the tach and speedo sides. The only added home-built circuit I needed for this was a comparator circuit for the alternator/fan light. I posted the circuit a while back at Corvair Center.
>
> I did the same dash on my Turbo recently but I need to make another circuit for the CHT idiot light since the snap switch isn't a great idea with the probe type thermocouples. Again, I plan to make another comparator circuit that uses the output of the probe to switch on the idiot light when it exceeds the maximum temperature threshold. I will keep it electrically isolated from the probe output so it won't affect the gauge.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.