Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
oil leak
Posted by: Mojan_n ()
Date: January 03, 2020 02:46PM

I see some oil in this area ( shown by red arrow). Can it be from the oil pan or somewhere else?
also when I look at the oil pan at the same area I do see oil leak but it is hard for me to differentiate if it is really from oil pan or dripping from top....

1964 Corvair Monza Coupe, 110 hp, PG
Fremont, CA

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oil leak
Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: January 03, 2020 03:44PM

It looks 'dry' there. maybe seepage over the years which attracts dirt and builds the crud up. Areas to look for besides rear of oil pan are the accy cover gasket, crank seal and oil pump gaskets and the hole where the shaft is pressed into housing. Other possibilities are the alt/oil filter adapter and oil pressure switch. But, like I mentioned, it looks fairly dry there

Date: January 03, 2020 04:01PM

Above picture is not my car bracket smiling smiley I just use this picture to show where I see oil. My bracket is installed on car and it’s hard to take a picture.

solo2r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks 'dry' there. maybe seepage over the years which attracts dirt and builds the crud up. Areas to look for besides rear of oil pan are the accy cover gasket, crank seal and oil pump gaskets and the hole where the shaft is pressed into housing. Other possibilities are the alt/oil filter adapter and oil pressure switch. But, like I mentioned, it looks fairly dry there

Posted by: FL103Dave ()
Date: January 03, 2020 04:07PM

I would suggest cleaning the area really well then observe where the oil is coming from. Developer can help. It's like baby powder in a spray can :-)

Dave

Naples, Florida
1968 Monza Coupe 140 4 Speed, Quick Steer, HD Suspension, Tele Wheel - My Dad bought new in Jan 1968 - 265,000 miles
1974 Corvette - 350 Auto.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
2003 Harley-Davidson Road King

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 03, 2020 06:14PM

Oil cooler seal leak is one thing that can end up in the skid plate. Less common but still possible are crankshaft seal or rear housing gasket. There's more possibilities. I wouldn't think oil pan into there but maybe.
It's a little work but you can remove the skid plate and run the engine for investigation purposes. Before you run the engine you want to tighten the 4 nuts again.
I take a blue paper towel and a screwdriver or stick to sop up the oil in the skid plate to begin investigating.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 04, 2020 12:24PM

Pressure clean everything, especially from underneath, around valve cover gaskets, oil filter, etc.

then, staring from the bottom, with oil paper on your hand or screwdriver, wipe around until in gets oil on it.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: January 04, 2020 02:58PM

One place that is sometimes overlooked is a leak at the oil pump pin that extends through the top of the pump housing. (see pix)

To see if you have a leak, clean up any oil and run the engine for at least 10-15 minutes and watch carefully for any seepage around the pin. Sometimes a light dusting with baby powder can help you find the leak.

If you find yours is leaking it can be repaired using JB Weld (NOT the fast setting kind) It requires that you clean the area of the shaft and housing. Then clean it again! If you don't get it VERY clean it may leak again. Cover the pin and surrounding area. Don't be stingy. Basically I made a 'cap' that covered the pin and down the sides of the pump housing a bit.

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 03:02PM by Grandpacorvair.

Attachments:
Date: January 10, 2020 11:08AM

I haven’t remove the skid plate.... but I have it clean really well start the car for 10min let it seat for over night (done this experiment two times). Next morning I see oil in skid plate but only left side of skid plate.... oil cooler?????

1964 Corvair Monza Coupe, 110 hp, PG
Fremont, CA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:25AM

Does your engine have the 90 degree oil filter adapter? I have had difficulty getting mine to be leak free on my A/C car as well as my cars with A I R.

Date: January 10, 2020 11:33AM

No.

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does your engine have the 90 degree oil filter adapter? I have had difficulty getting mine to be leak free on my A/C car as well as my cars with A I R.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 10, 2020 11:58AM

Oil pan is not likely to leak oil into the skid plate as the pan and gasket are forward of the skid plate. Others suggestions above are good ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 12, 2020 12:28PM

Leak was from harmonic balancer gasket... fixed!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 12, 2020 12:29PM

Great!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.