Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvairs and Kit Cars - Any Ideas???
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: November 02, 2007 09:35PM

Ok, so my ongoing discussion with my wife of trying to find a LM coupe for resto seems to have made an impact, though not the one I expected. I came home this evening and found her looking through the November issue of the Communique. She pointed out how cool Corvair powered Roadster that Dick Fortin made was. I started again with the LM coupe and she said "wouldn't it be more fun to build a kit car and use a Corvair drive train to power it." I said sure, but I have no idea of what kinds of kits may be out there. So, anyone have any suggestions as to what might be a good project? BTW this is all still very early in our "R+D" stage, as funds will need to be gathered together. Thanks! (Oh, and I still want that LM coupe too!)

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvairs and Kit Cars - Any Ideas???
Posted by: carolinefx ()
Date: November 02, 2007 09:45PM

Quoting from another thread on the forum:

Quite a few kit cars of the era are known to use Corvair power beside the Devin.
Amante GT
Azteca
Fiberfab Avenger
Kelmark GT
Manta
Lazer 917

Thread found here:
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: wcelliot ()
Date: November 02, 2007 10:04PM

The Devin is the coolest, but pretty much any kit that was designed to use a VW engine can use a Corvair engine... though as Caroline wrote several were specifically made for a Corvair.

I dislike "flexible flier" kits which use a floppy VW pan... much prefer a real tube chassis.

You see both types for sale routinely at swap meets...

Bill

Posted by: donmanen ()
Date: November 03, 2007 01:10PM

I looked for some time for a kit car- I wanted one similar to the Avenger (I think)- look sort of like a Ford GT 40--- never found one. I think there is one in D/FW belonging to a CC member--but he wouldn't even talk about selling it!!

DM

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 03, 2007 01:14PM

That RogerGault..he just bought it last year...

Terry Kalp has one..likely knows where others are in Kansas ..

They pop up on ebay quite often....in Corvair listing!

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: November 04, 2007 01:02AM

www.lowster.net !!

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

rick4130@yahoo.com

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: November 04, 2007 01:21AM

I saw this guy selling these cars on ebay for $8,000 minus wheels, tires, spindles, etc. He has them listed under "other makes/kits". Pretty cool looking! Wish I had the cash. It would be a cool project! Guess I'm going to have to keep searching for that low dollar LM coupe...

Dave

Posted by: Roger Gault ()
Date: November 04, 2007 04:28AM

Dave,
I think you'll find the easiest of the old Corvair based kits to find is the Fiberfab Avenger. These guys show up on e-bay all the time in various states of disrepair. Generally they need a lot of work, but some of us crazys want that.
They can make a beautiful car. The warning is that they're short - 41 inches tall a the roofline. The conventional wisdom is that if you're more than 5'8" you won't fit. I'm 6'2", and I WILL fit in mine when I get through with it.

You have two possibilities with the Avenger:
GT-12, bolts onto a VW Bug pan and uses VW running gear. These can be converted to Corvair power - considerable work.
GT-15, has a tube frame and Corvair drivetrain/suspension. Much better. Harder to find.

Some eye candy:

Terry Kalp's Corvair powered GT-12 is at
[members.cox.net]

A good site for info on Avengers and their big brother Valkyries is:
[www.avenger-valkyrie.org]
My GT-15 is the yellow one on the "Cars for Sale" page.

Roger

Posted by: Kenn Hanley ()
Date: June 22, 2008 05:16PM

I have just the car you mentioned " Avenger GT " powered by 6 cylinder Corvair.
I picked this up back in 1983. Gary had put a tubular frame underneath. It is complete to the point of the interior. I have the seats, gages. It is in the need of window regulators and glass for the side windows. When I purchased the car there was sliding windows in it, I've taken them out. If you feel you are still interested in this I can email you pictures of the car. If you have any questions you can contact me at my home. 716-668-8280.

Kenn

(To get hold of me you are best to call with my schedule I don't get on the computer very often.)

Posted by: Mike M ()
Date: June 22, 2008 06:53PM

This is an area of interest that I am very familiar with. I manufactured the Sterling kit car for many years, and have owned two with Corvair engines installed on VW transaxles. The Sterling is currently being manufactured in Pennsylvania by Sterling Sports Cars ( www.sterlingsportscars.com ) These are very impressive cars to look at, and the body, unlike most VW based kits, is a structural member (like a unibody car) which is very sturdy, but if one prefers a tube type frame they have those available also. The Sterling is also very low and sleek, and you do have to have reclined seating for head clearance, but once you get used to driving in that position it is really quite comfortable. If you would like to see a picture of one, PM me with your email address and I will send you a picture of my white one with a Corvair 140 hp. I don't know how to put pictures here, as all my pictures are too high resolution to fit.
Mike M

Corvair engines are brilliant engineering!!

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: June 23, 2008 03:30AM

Mike: you have a PM

Steve

Posted by: Kenn Hanley ()
Date: June 24, 2008 03:03AM

I have a Avenger GT kit car with a Corvair engine for sale. The car is complete other than finishing of the interior. I have the seats & gages. Anybody interested please send your email to me and I will send you pictures of the car.

My email address is kennhanley@verizon.net

Kenn

Home phone number 716-668-8280

Posted by: Mike J ()
Date: June 24, 2008 06:06AM

I used to buy a mag. called Kit Cars. It has all kinds of listings of cars and makers. Some times they have the yearly book come out too. Good stuff in there.

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: June 24, 2008 07:01AM

I saw this CraigsList ad for a Karma kit car (Ferrari Dino copy) that can be configured with Corvair engine/trans in rear or mid-engine configuration, as well as VW Type I (again rear or mid), OR Porsche or Toronado transaxle mid-engine with any motor. This car has a Chevy 350 with Toronado and needs finishing, but they only want $3500:

[seattle.craigslist.org]

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Date: June 24, 2008 07:44PM

In the 1970s I built a Kellison GT40K with a mid-engine, reverse-rotation Corvair engine and late model transaxle and suspension. The images are too big to post here, but I posted them at [www.corvaircorsa.com]

Posted by: Darren ()
Date: June 24, 2008 08:24PM

Here is one that looks like a steal

[denver.craigslist.org]

Darren
66 Monza SS Convertible
140HP 4 Speed
Colorado Springs, CO
[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: The13bats ()
Date: October 02, 2008 01:15AM

Ok, I found this old thread while rooting around on Google for kit cars,
Let me toss in my 2 1/2 cents worth,

I have been a Grass roots kit car fan over 30 years and owned several,

[autos.groups.yahoo.com]

I now have a Laser 917
[www.laser917.net]

I have never seen a GRKC that was made for a Corvair with that said more than one person took the task upon themselves to try to use the corvair rather than the VW pan which was the common chassis,

The Corvair is unibody and not set up like a VW pan it doesn't lend well to just a rebody,
However many early kits used the front and rear out of the corvair,
The most common engine conversion for the VW based kit is the vair engine hanging off a VW tranny, you either have to flip the ring gear in the vw tranny or reverse the rotation of the engine,
I have a reverse rotation vair engine bolted to a vw tranny in my stash right now.

All the Fiberfab stuff the Avengers Aztec gt Aztec 7 etc were far more kit than car and harder to build so you see more hack jobs because of that and there were so many of them Avengers made, for example one Laser to 10 Avengers

I owned a Sterling, drove it daily and I would say it is the best built of all kit cars, didn't know a vair engine would fit in the rear without cutting the beautiful rear lower valance

The Laser is mid grade,

The VW pan doesn't flex anymore than oh say a Corvair,
If you are pushing any car that hard you should have a full roll bar/cage set up which does away with chassis flex,

Kit cars almost never compare to real production cars even cars from the 60's feel more "real" than a kit car,
Most GT style kit cars are built around drivers who are slim and 5 foot 10 or under,
I am 6 foot 2 and fit in all my kits my Sterling had a 4" drop floor my laser has a full custom frame with 5" drop floor I fit fine,

You are laid way back in most GT kit cars and it can be hard on some people most are hard to see out of,
Most kit cars make a 70's vette seem roomy and comfy.

They are not for everyone but they will turn heads like no tomorrow you are almost guaranteed a trophy at any show you hit and people will just always smile,
They are fun and cheap and you do need thick skin to get past the horses ass types who will be jealous and yell stupid things like "It's just a VW" even when it's corvair powered,

Dont judge GRKC's by the hack jobs but go look at them in person if you have never seen the car you like before, most needs some degree of work to be right,
They are a project that might not ever be done, you can find them very cheap.

I have been in love with them for over 30 years!

Cheers,
P.

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams....

Posted by: The13bats ()
Date: December 24, 2008 05:20PM

Hey, for those of you into kit cars that run Corvair stuff or just hopping up the vair I started a new yahoo! group and hope to see you there,
Happy Hoildays one and all,
Cheers,
P.

[autos.groups.yahoo.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.