Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Corvair Repair People for the 2020s
Posted by: Boha1957 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 06:45AM

I am new to corvairs and came to this site to see if there was any reputable shops in the Northern Illinois area. After reading through this thread I have become quite discouraged. Do VW shops work on corvairs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:39AM

No reason to get discouraged. Worst case scenario is you're going to have to learn to work on them.
The engine and transaxle are quite unique. As far as a shop goes, all the rest is just an old GM car.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:42AM

Don't be discouraged. By joining your "local" Corvair club (CCE ?) you will end up with lots of good sources. Is Larry Claypool (The Vair Shop) still working? Are you close to SW Michigan? Lots and lots of great Corvair people in the midwest.

Date: May 16, 2020 07:47AM

Unfortunately it is the engine and trans that are the problem right now. Unfamiliar with the whole air-cooled thing. Looks like I have some learning to do. I will looking for some local clubs, and hopefully absorb some knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 07:49AM by Boha1957.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:55AM

Boha1957 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am new to corvairs and came to this site to see if there was any reputable shops in the Northern Illinois area. After reading through this thread I have become quite discouraged. Do VW shops work on corvairs?

------------------
Welcome to CCF. Northern Illinois is a big place but there is a very good club in Chicago area and CORSA roster lists one in Springfield too. Plus giving your town here may find someone near you to help.

I had the understanding that someone was trying to pick up the work from VAIRSHOP but that may be false. Paul Fox is listed in COMMUNIQUE in Indiana and Ken Hand is in Michigan. For some reason the LeVeque family are no longer shown on back page of April 2020 COMMUNIQUE but Michael sometimes pops in here. They were in Indiana.

Speaking only of my area (Colo and surrounding states) the typical VW shop doesn't offer much to Corvair owners. I don't do as much VW/Porsche as I used to due to keeping busy with Corvair work.

Good luck with your Corvair, I hope something here will help you.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: May 16, 2020 08:20AM

I am in Hanover Park. It is 30 miles west of Chicago. I am investigating the local Corvair Clubs right now. Thanks for all replies.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 16, 2020 08:34AM

WELCOME!!!

Post pictures of your car.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 16, 2020 08:35AM

Have you Checked our CORSA ? The International Owners Association

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 16, 2020 09:14AM

Boha1957 Wrote:
> I am in Hanover Park. It is 30 miles west of Chicago. I am investigating the local Corvair Clubs right now. Thanks for all replies.

-----------------------

A quick glance in CORSA roster shows members in Bartlett and Bloomington. Probably in other towns close to you but I stopped looking.

You can find CORSA here: www.corvair.org Good luck

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: May 16, 2020 10:17AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
> Boha1957 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I am in Hanover Park. It is 30 miles west of Chicago. I am investigating the local Corvair Clubs right now. Thanks for all replies.
>
> -----------------------
>
> A quick glance in CORSA roster shows members in Bartlett and Bloomington. Probably in other towns close to you but I stopped looking.
>
> You can find CORSA here: www.corvair.org Good luck

Thanks, looking at www.corvair.org now.

Posted by: Cheepfk ()
Date: May 16, 2020 10:42AM

Sadly to me, one man "shops" operated out of a guys house don't really count as a viable Corvair repair business landscape. Same for "mobile" guys.

If the Corvair world would support real shops (not home-run operations) then I think repair services would be available across the country.

Due to the cars "cheap" reputation (cars and owners) poor service histories and the fact so many are "barn finds" that need everything most genuine auto repair shop avoid them.

Not hard to see how one guy at his house working on Corvairs is busier than he can handle.

A full-service shop with multiple service bays and mechanics has real overhead and must focus on repair work that can be done in a timely fashion at modern prices.

My guess the entire collector car market will sink as we die off like others have pointed out. Only the high-end collector cars and repair shops will remain for the next generation who have better things to do with their time then wrench on an old car all day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 10:44AM by Cheepfk.

Date: May 16, 2020 10:57AM

I am not sure who your comments about working out of house are directed to; but I have two units (4 bays total) in an industrial building. Been here since 1997, before that I was in a closed up service station in Denver from when I started the shop in 1967.

Around here you are not allowed to run automotive shops from home (zoning codes). You will not be granted a business license and parts stores will not sell tax exempt because of no business license from both city and state.

Again in my case only I have no employees. I did have a business/shop partner in the beginning. No young person would want to be involved in a business that works on a very limited issue car and expect their future to remain. PLUS the amount of money I would have to spend each month for workmans comp insurance and matching withholding taxes plus hoping the person is going to show up each day and this list can continue.

Enough of this, sorry to bore most of the forum.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2020 10:59AM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 16, 2020 02:17PM

Steve it pretty clear the poster has not seen your operation. A lot of us have, and are impressed.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: May 16, 2020 02:21PM

Not boring Steve, those are all good points to consider. So many business owners have told me that employees are they're biggest headache. And for a small business, an employee can often more trouble than they are worth!

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: May 16, 2020 02:54PM

I for one Steve would love to have a shop like yours close to me. Your shop has obviously stood the test of time. Sadly I got in this game too late for "The Vair Shop" I have heard many great things about it from several people now.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 16, 2020 03:09PM

Since writing my contribution to this thread in January, I have had one car shop (not one of the others I previously mentioned) replace my valve gaskets and change my oil and then ask me very politely never to bring the Corvair back, citing liability issues. I could have done both of the jobs myself, but I was feeling lazy (passenger side valve cover is a pain to get to in a Turbo) and the shop was under new management so I was trying to throw them some business. I guess when it comes to Corvairs, they don't want my business anymore.

These days, I haven't seen ANY work going in or out of my in-town Corvair buggy guy. I hope he doesn't become another Covid Business Casualty.

Time to study my manual.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 16, 2020 04:25PM

Get involved with CCE (Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts). It is 1 of the largest clubs in the nation.
I have Steve G. do some work on my Corvairs. Lucky for me he is ONLY 300 MILES AWAY. As mentioned Ken
Hand is a long time Corvair mechanic in SW Michigan. Again, no reason to be discouraged.

Date: May 16, 2020 05:15PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> Get involved with CCE (Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts). It is 1 of the largest clubs in the nation.
> I have Steve G. do some work on my Corvairs. Lucky for me he is ONLY 300 MILES AWAY. As mentioned Ken
> Hand is a long time Corvair mechanic in SW Michigan. Again, no reason to be discouraged.

Thanks, I found CCE online and will be joining. Everyone has been very helpful here and I will be asking many questions. Can't wait to get started.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:04PM

"Sadly to me, one man "shops" operated out of a guys house don't really count as a viable Corvair repair business landscape. Same for "mobile" guys."
Don't the majority of Corvair shops fall in this category?
If I ever hired out work on my cars I would want it to be a one man shop so I knew who was working on it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:15PM

joelsplace Wrote:
> "Sadly to me, one man "shops" operated out of a guys house don't really count as a viable Corvair repair business landscape. Same for "mobile" guys."
> Don't the majority of Corvair shops fall in this category?
> If I ever hired out work on my cars I would want it to be a one man shop so I knew who was working on it.

X2!
Some Trolls just can't be happy, unless they are bringing someone else down to their level of dispair. sad smiley
We were doing so NICE without Negative Nannies, like Pedigo, and j3M, and now we have a new one that only enjoys posting comments that discourage, and drag others down.
Truly SAD!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.