Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Corvair Repair People for the 2020s
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 17, 2020 07:42AM

cheepfk wrote:

"Sadly to me, one man "shops" operated out of a guys house don't really count as a viable Corvair repair business landscape. Same for "mobile" guys".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's me in a nutshell. I might take offense but I'm more backed up than I've ever been so I won't worry too much about whether an anonymous person from an unknown place thinks I'm valid.

I started this thread on New Years Day thinking perhaps I could find other Corvair repair people I didn't know about to refer inquiries to. I have enough Minnesota work and would actually like my work load to shrink. I have trouble saying no.

I wish some more shops would open up, I think there is a viable demand.

I considered my options and decided I'm too late in the game to grow with employees and such. If I was 10 years younger...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 17, 2020 09:01AM

Ah, employees. They do make good stories, just not good at the time.

I was a little more trusting of people and issued keys to the shop for them to work at odd hours, sometimes even on customer cars, but I digress. One decided a customer's Corvette would make a good drive around the neighborhood and show off to girls car on the weekend. So he swapped plates and took it for a spin. Maybe more than once.... Yep, customer's friends saw him driving it, ^$# hit the fan then! I took away his keys and thinking what was the worst punishment I could apply to him (typical young kid at the time). I brought the customer in and made him apologize. Doesn't sound like a rough punishment, but you should have seen him sweat!thumbs up

Employees, almost a you can't survive with them or without them situation. Keep the shop simple - good idea!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jgalfo ()
Date: May 21, 2020 01:04PM

in florida, a corvair mechanic is as rare as hens teeth, there is one or two, but they are backed up with work for months. I feel there is a need for good corvair mechanics in every state and anyone who would like to get into it would find the amount of work they would need to make a comfortable living or supplement their retirement.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.