Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT - G3500 Project - OT
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 17, 2020 07:28PM

For anyone interested.

It was going to cost me over $600USD for the rear poly fenders and mounting hardware.

I got to thinking that $600USD can buy a lot of metal and hopefully some labor towards a custom, top fit, flatbed.

Plus this would add much needed weight to the back to help keep the truck from bouncing around.

I'm also looking into buy a Power Probe, soon, for doing all the wiring work on this project and the Ultravans in the future.

Because there are no plugs in the cab and chassis wiring harness, like you can find with a truck.
I hope to call some junkyards tomorrow and find some factory trailer wiring harnesses to get some wiring and plugs from, so that I can do a nice rewiring job for the new lights and trailer connection.

I also found this today so I will be able to easily move my electric brake controller around to use in my different trucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 07:31PM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 18, 2020 11:50AM

LOL @ Diesel will not start for me..

I'm thinking or wondering if the PMD is the cause.

It did die on my twice, like someone turned the key off, when I first got it and was driving it home.

But it has never had a problem since.
Too hot out there for me to try to diagnose any more.

I'll go out first thing before it gets too hot and try the wet rag or cold water trick... Grin

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 18, 2020 12:25PM

In the year and a half I had my '93 6.5 (Last year of mechanical pump), I went through two GM Oil pressure switches. In addition to operating the pressure gauge, the switch also controls the lift pump. No lift = no run.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: June 18, 2020 01:10PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the year and a half I had my '93 6.5 (Last year of mechanical pump), I went through two GM Oil pressure switches. In addition to operating the pressure gauge, the switch also controls the lift pump. No lift = no run.

Craig,

Thanks for the input. I left the key on and the lift pump seems to be working.

It's 95 here and too hot for me... Tomorrow early I hope to cool it off with a wet rag and see if it starts...

Check these out:

FYI - Have you heard of this.

IF there is the problem - I'm looking at upgrading to this FSD Heat-Sync Kit

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 18, 2020 08:52PM

95 in the arctic circle? It was only 93 here in Texas today with low humidity. Really nice.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: June 19, 2020 05:18AM

Got up early to do some diagnostic on the G3500

Looks like I have a bad pump - oh boy.. LOL

I do have weak batteries, so I have to jump start it for now.
I'll get replacements batteries first and do one more test before I have it towed off to have someone replace the pump.

YES - I could more than likely do it myself. But I'm still recovering, it was 95 yesterday in the shade, no garage, plus it's a VAN.. Yucko very tight engine compartment. Grin

I'll be calling 2 shops this morning to see who can get it done the quickest, as I need to deliver it to Kevin, around the end of the month, so he can size up the job, order materials, and make the flatbed for me.

Date: June 19, 2020 04:05PM

Truck towed to local diesel shop this morning.

Hoping it is the PDM and not the injector pump itself.
The lift pump seems to be getting fuel to the injector pump.
Not sure what pressure it should be - but if I crack a line open it is getting fuel with the key on.

I just now got off the phone form ordering:

So I can easily move my brake controller between 2 trucks.

TK5906 - Replacement Mounting Bracket Kit for Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller

Universal wiring kit - because they don't make a plug and play kit for a Cut-a-way or aka a cab & chassis.

ETBC7 - Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires

Date: June 19, 2020 08:11PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Truck towed to local diesel shop this morning.
>
> Hoping it is the PDM and not the injector pump itself.
> The lift pump seems to be getting fuel to the injector pump.
> Not sure what pressure it should be - but if I crack a line open it is getting fuel with the key on.
>
> I just now got off the phone from ordering:
>
> So I can easily move my brake controller between 2 trucks.
>
> TK5906 - Replacement Mounting Bracket Kit for Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
>
> Universal wiring kit - because they don't make a plug and play kit for a Cut-a-way or aka a cab & chassis.
>
> ETBC7 - Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires

I forgot to mention that they would ship the above for FREE in the USA, because I purchased over $99..
But since I'm not crossing the border I went ahead and paid the $12.99USD to have it shipped to my door.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: June 20, 2020 09:41AM

When I worked at a GMC dealership in the early 90's we found several diesels with bad lift pumps. The way we found them was to change the fuel filter. Once the filter was change you would engage the lift pump to prime the system and that is when you found out that the lift pump was bad. They ran fine without it working but you could not prime the system without it. Then the service manager got to go tell the customer that his fuel filter just got a little more expensive and would take a little bit longer to complete.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: June 20, 2020 10:09AM

RexJohnson Wrote:
> When I worked at a GMC dealership in the early 90's we found several diesels with bad lift pumps. The way we found them was to change the fuel filter. Once the filter was change you would engage the lift pump to prime the system and that is when you found out that the lift pump was bad. They ran fine without it working but you could not prime the system without it. Then the service manager got to go tell the customer that his fuel filter just got a little more expensive and would take a little bit longer to complete.

I tested the lift pump 3 times and in 3 places.

One right after the lift pump

Second at the back of the engine above the transmission bell-housing

Third at the highest point - in the front of the engine at the test valve, just before the injector pump.
NOW, I did not have/use a pressure gauge and I merely cracked lines open
and checked for fuel flow and the last one I pushed/opened the valve while the key was on.
But fuel came rushing out all three times. So I know the fuel made it up that far.

I strongly believe that it is gong to be the PDM...
However, I did not have any testing equipment and it was too darn hot for me to continue working outside.

Whatever it ends up to be - I plan to also use the PDM relocation kit anyways..

I've already had some symptoms of one going bad when I first got the truck.
But none since to properly diagnose it.

Now that it will not start - it might be shot and thus providing the sign I was looking for. GRIN

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 20, 2020 11:05AM

My '91 C30 454 had a fuel problem - gas but could be the same issue.
It would pump plenty of fuel up at the throttle body with the line off but when I put a gauge on it the pressure was zero.
I pulled the gas cap off and listened at the tank with the pump running and I could hear fuel splashing. Turned out to be the 2" of rubber hose connecting the fuel pump to the sender was mush. It would hold enough to pump fuel with no pressure but as soon as any load was put on it a big hole opened in the side of the hose and bypassed all the fuel. Are the lift pumps in the tank and do they use a hose like that?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: June 20, 2020 06:06PM

The things us car guys do for our projects.

I'm going a to see if I can do a off shipping trick.

Vendor will deliver to NY by the 25th for free... The key part is by the 25th...

I'm going to call the UPS store and see if they will ship the package back out to me in CANADA the very next day, with hopes I get in in less than a week.. Grin

Date: June 22, 2020 08:30AM

Order from flaps this morning - The PMD will be here tomorrow morning so we can test it out.. grinning smiley

Sure hope I doesn't have a bad injector pump = $1,350 just to rebuild it, plus shipping both ways. eye rolling smiley
Then add labor to R&R it too... eye popping smiley

I also purchased a PMD relocation kit from the USA that will be here somewhere between July 2 and the 13th. grinning smiley

Hopefully the truck will start with the new PMD and I can get it over to Kevin's shop by the end of this week.

I'll worry about installing the PMD relocation kit after the flatbed is done.
Heck, depending on the weather and how I feel; I might install the kit while the truck is at Kevin's to save some time.

It looks like, as soon as the restriction is lifted and I can cross the border, that I'll be going to the USA to get a new oil fired furnace for the farm house and all my car stuff I purchased a while ago.

Having the flatbed will be nice to haul stuff on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2020 08:31AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Date: June 24, 2020 06:53AM

UPDATE:

$125 Tow charge - Last Friday
$442 New PMD - I purchased at FLAPS, picked up yesterday and took to shop
Called shop this morning for update and just under $400 for diagnostic and repair and she now runs again...

Another $300 for new batteries that I ordered and are coming Tuesday from my Interstate Battery Distributor.

Just got off the phone with Kevin and he gave the okay that he WILL be able to make the flatbed for me, starting next week.

USA, here I and my G3500 come once the restriction is lifted. GRIN

Date: June 24, 2020 01:00PM

Just got back from dropping the G3500 off at Kevin's shop.

We went over what I wanted in a flatbed and that I was planning to install a sleeper box.
I also mentioned that we might want to plan for having to shorten the flatbed if the box ends up a little longer.

Kevin then told me that he could not start on the flatbed until he had the gooseneck hitch that I was going to use.

So Marie and I ran to the local trailer store and I purchased one.
We then took it straight to Kevin.
He smiled and laughed and said that was fast. Grin

I hope he is able to get things done by the 10th of July..
That will give me a little over a week to wire up the marker and tail lights on the new flatbed, along with the brake controller..

Heck, I might even have time to fix the cooler lines before I leave.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 24, 2020 06:48PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Just got back from dropping the G3500 off at Kevin's shop.
>
> We went over what I wanted in a flatbed and that I was planning to install a sleeper box.
> I also mentioned that we might want to plan for having to shorten the flatbed if the box ends up a little longer.
>
> Kevin then told me that he could not start on the flatbed until he had the gooseneck hitch that I was going to use.
>
> So Marie and I ran to the local trailer store and I purchased one.
> We then took it straight to Kevin.
> He smiled and laughed and said that was fast. Grin
>
> I hope he is able to get things done by the 10th of July..
> That will give me a little over a week to wire up the marker and tail lights on the new flatbed, along with the brake controller..
>
> Heck, I might even have time to fix the cooler lines before I leave.

PLAN ON IT!

You should have PLENTY of time to do the line install.
No one here in my community is expecting the Border to open before school starts in September.
Canada has already stated that they do not want any American tourism this summer.
BUT, once we hit September, then we are entering into the regular Flu Season, so it will most likely be sometime AFTER the first of the year at the EARLIEST, before they allow regular cross-border traffic.
Some Border Patrol Agents have admitted that it will be at least the end of summer.
The general consensus is that if they come right out and admit that the border is going to be closed indefinitely, there will be a major uproar.
BUT, if they play this game of announcing it one month at a time, most people will believe them, and be more accepting of it.
Right now, they are "Officially Reviewing " the situation on a MONTH BY MONTH basis.
You will know that they are serious about the border opening, when they start reviewing it on a Bi-weekly basis.
Until then, don't expect to cross any time soon. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: June 24, 2020 07:26PM

American Mel Wrote:
> OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Just got back from dropping the G3500 off at Kevin's shop.
> >
> > We went over what I wanted in a flatbed and that I was planning to install a sleeper box.
> > I also mentioned that we might want to plan for having to shorten the flatbed if the box ends up a little longer.
> >
> > Kevin then told me that he could not start on the flatbed until he had the gooseneck hitch that I was going to use.
> >
> > So Marie and I ran to the local trailer store and I purchased one.
> > We then took it straight to Kevin.
> > He smiled and laughed and said that was fast. Grin
> >
> > I hope he is able to get things done by the 10th of July..
> > That will give me a little over a week to wire up the marker and tail lights on the new flatbed, along with the brake controller..
> >
> > Heck, I might even have time to fix the cooler lines before I leave.
>
>
>
> PLAN ON IT!
>
> You should have PLENTY of time to do the line install.
> No one here in my community is expecting the Border to open before school starts in September.
> Canada has already stated that they do not want any American tourism this summer.
> BUT, once we hit September, then we are entering into the regular Flu Season, so it will most likely be sometime AFTER the first of the year at the EARLIEST, before they allow regular cross-border traffic.
> Some Border Patrol Agents have admitted that it will be at least the end of summer.
> The general consensus is that if they come right out and admit that the border is going to be closed indefinitely, there will be a major uproar.
> BUT, if they play this game of announcing it one month at a time, most people will believe them, and be more accepting of it.
> Right now, they are "Officially Reviewing " the situation on a MONTH BY MONTH basis.
> You will know that they are serious about the border opening, when they start reviewing it on a Bi-weekly basis.
> Until then, don't expect to cross any time soon. sad smiley

But I have a get out of jail FREE card - for one time use. GRIN

And I plan to use it by the end of JULY, "IF" they extend the latest restriction deadline of July 22nd and don't lift it. GRIN

Date: July 01, 2020 11:04AM

I took the G3500 to the gravel pit to weigh it, on Monday, when I went to Kevin's shop.

Any guesses what it weighed? (Keep in mind it was only a cab and chassis at the time.)

I found out why the electric mirrors stopped working and fix that.

I also confirmed a lot of measurements too.

I'm still waiting on 3 items to be delivered..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 11:06AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 01, 2020 11:46AM

My guess on weight: #6900

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: July 01, 2020 12:02PM

Do I let you know if each person is low or high?
Or do we just let people guess until someone gets it?

Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.