Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is it Pak or Pack Connector and what is the number for the Headlights? - Thanks
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 01, 2020 08:39AM

oldqmguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frank,
>
> If you check with www.terminalsupplyco.com you will find the Delphi-Packard 56 and 59 series connectors.
>
> They indicate that the male and female connectors are made of "Tin Plated Brass" or "Tin Plated Copper" depending on which terminals you are looking at.
>
> The 'tin plating' is supposed to reduce corrosion!?
>
> The largest wire most of the terminals take is 14awg. A couple are listed that use 12awg wire but I don't think they fit the Headlight connectors.
>
> JMHO!? eye rolling smiley
>
> HAPPY NEW YEAR! smileys with beer
>
> Dale cool smiley

Dale,

They did make 12ga 59 terminal for the headlight connector.
I found them back in either 2015 or 2017 and bookmarked it.

My desire is to provide a headlight circuit that not only improves the brightness of the UV headlights and even the Corvair, but it will also allow all types of bulbs to be installed without any issues.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it Pak or Pack Connector and what is the number for the Headlights? - Thanks
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 01, 2020 09:30AM

You might find them in someone's obsolete inventory. The current prints don't show a 12 ga (4mm sq) version.

Here's a link:Click Here

I'd check the fit, 12 ga into 14 ga terminal. Many times they will work fine and you can always solder for extra assurance. It's the voltage drop over the long wire-run that's the concern. 12 ga has lower ohms per foot and you will get all that advantage even if the terminal doesn't have long enough flags to crimp ideally.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: January 01, 2020 11:01AM

Thank you Craig.

I'll look into that, to see if it will work.
I just want to have and provide a superior product, without any future concerns or issues.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 01, 2020 11:05AM

What headlights could ever need 12 ga.?

New LEDs use 20 ga. with over 15,000 lumens per light!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 01, 2020 11:28AM

Matt, please take your own advice and wait to see what and why I'm making what I am.

Just like the heads and other post you do support...

I also suggest that you read my entire response to Dale about ALL TYES of headlight bulbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 11:31AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 01, 2020 05:30PM

Then there is the "trim the hair" approach to getting 12 awg wire into a 14 awg connector.

Done this many times when building one off R&D harnesses and the wire we had was too big for the pin. Just cut enough strands to get the wire to fit in the pin.

I like the Ideal 30-500 crimper with the 30-586 open barrel die to do the crimp. Yes, also expensive..... but not as much as the special AMP crimper for them.....

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 01, 2020 06:44PM

Thanks Frank.

I like Craig's idea and I'll look into those crimpers, since I have to buy some anyways.

Date: January 05, 2020 07:06PM

Later this week, when I'm finished installing the hardwood flooring, as a gift to me, I plan to buy; 100' Red 10ga, 100' Yellow 12ga, 50' White 14ga and all the terminals I need that I can find locally.

This will be for the first 2 circuits I want to make and test.

I finally will be able to place an order for printed wire, once winter is over and I know the results of my efforts.
Another project that's long overdue. Grin

Date: January 12, 2020 07:09PM

Order my wires from Craig this past week.

I still need to find and purchase all the terminals and connectors.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.