Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How to attach Engine lid cove molding --
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: December 20, 2019 10:17AM

Looking for clips/fasteners that are used to attach the upper cove molding on the engine lid. I've searched the forum- it looks like the "clips" are rare- what should I use instead? Thanks, Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 11:00AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How toattach Engine lid cove molding --
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: December 20, 2019 10:34AM

Not rare, but usually with good trim members are selling. I might have a few from trim I scrapped.

Al
Georgia

Re: How toattach Engine lid cove molding --
Date: December 20, 2019 10:45AM

Anything you can do for me will be appreciated. Phil

Re: How to attach Engine lid cove molding --
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 20, 2019 11:01AM

Engine "LID" is all screws... 6x32's iirc

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 20, 2019 11:15AM

I may have described what I need incorrectly- the cove molding on the edge of the engine lid looks to have some type of specialed trim fastener-- no external screws show- (except where PO drilled and screwed the ends-angry smiley ) I just bought a replacement from Jeff at the Ranch... so trying to get together all that I need to repair it.

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Engine "LID" is all screws... 6x32's iirc

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 20, 2019 11:58AM

If we a talking about the same thing the screws come from the inside. Post a PIc of what your are asking.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 20, 2019 11:59AM

Not sure specifically what you are asking but the lower long trim is held on with (strange shaped) nuts, the long top one is screws, and each side is screwed to the cove mouldings. The cove mouldings are held to the body with the strange shaped nuts again. Do you have a picture of what you are asking about?

Date: December 20, 2019 12:03PM

Tim, I'll have to go look- not today it's 21 degrees here-- I was just looking at the replacement piece I got from the Corvair Ranch- I thought it looked like it required a special fastener. Stay tuned- thanks for info. Phil

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> Not sure specifically what you are asking but the lower long trim is held on with (strange shaped) nuts, the long top one is screws, and each side is screwed to the cove moldings. The cove moldings are held to the body with the strangely shaped nuts again. Do you have a picture of what you are asking about?

Date: December 20, 2019 01:02PM

Attached is a photo of the upper and lower cove trim clips that slide into the trim. Upper trim uses small screws to hold trim to engine lid. Lower trim uses cap nuts.

I also included the end cove moulding installation blocks that are used to mount the moulding. The end cove trim assembly has studs on the aluminum casting and the bright trim is crimped onto it. It uses cap nuts like the lower trim.

Seam sealer is used on the cap nuts to seal the mount holes. Foam rubber is used under the end cove installation blocks to seal the body. I used a little sealant also on the sheet metal interface.

All trim pieces are individual pieces. There is no piece attached to another. BUT, the body pieces have a sequence of installation. Lower trim must be installed and aligned first. Then the end pieces can be put on.

This summer, I removed, polished and reinstalled the cove trim on my 66 Monza 4 door. So I am very familiar with the attachment hardware.

Al
Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 01:05PM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Date: December 20, 2019 02:08PM

Ahhhh..... I get it now- so then MattNall is correct 6x32 but what length? Sorry you need to spoon-feed me- Phil

Lane66m Wrote:
> Attached is a photo of the upper and lower cove trim clips that slide into the trim. Upper trim uses small screws to hold trim to engine lid. Lower trim uses cap nuts.
>
> I also included the end cove moulding installation blocks that are used to mount the moulding. The end cove trim assembly has studs on the aluminum casting and the bright trim is crimped onto it. It uses cap nuts like the lower trim.
>
> Seam sealer is used on the cap nuts to seal the mount holes. Foam rubber is used under the end cove installation blocks to seal the body. I used a little sealant also on the sheet metal interface.
>
> All trim pieces are individual pieces. There is no piece attached to another. BUT, the body pieces have a sequence of installation. Lower trim must be installed and aligned first. Then the end pieces can be put on.
>
>
> This summer, I removed, polished and reinstalled the cove trim on my 66 Monza 4 door. So I am very familiar with the attachment hardware.

Date: December 20, 2019 02:22PM

I will have to find my loose screws. Been looking for them for years.grinning smiley

Will post later if I locate them. Screws are not that long. 3/8" maybe.

Al
Georgia

Date: December 20, 2019 02:45PM

Found engine lid trim screws and other cove trim hardware.

Here is photo of everything, except 6 foam rubbers for the end mouldings.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 20, 2019 02:49PM

All / AZDave, are the screws #4 or #6's?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: December 20, 2019 03:34PM

pvholgado Wrote:
> Tim, I'll have to go look- not today it's 21 degrees here--

Colder here, too cold to heat the garage so my wife and I went skiing.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: December 20, 2019 03:37PM

Looks like 6s to me. I am going to supply screws with clips. If he has clips in the replacement trim, he can remove one clip closest to removal/installation slot to confirm size. They are about 3/8".

He should be able to remove screws from the existing trim and use clips and screws on replacement trim.

Al
Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 03:42PM by Lane66m.

Date: December 20, 2019 03:40PM

yeah, it was cold here today also. 31 degrees this morning and a high of 50. Winter in the south.

Still got out there in garage and did some tasks and looked up these clips. The maintenance bay where clips and hardware are located is at outside temp. Garage is a nice 71 degrees.

Al
Georgia

Date: December 20, 2019 03:44PM

The replacement I bought has clips in it- I'll confirm size tomorrow I will take the old trim piece off and maybe get lucky to find a screw or 2- PO used sheet metal from outside into lid...sad smiley.

Lane66m Wrote:
> Looks like 6s to me. I am going to supply screws with clips. If he has clips in the replacement trim, he can remove one clip closest to removal/installation slot to confirm size. They are about 3/8".
>
> He should be able to remove screws from the existing trim and use clips and screws on replacement trim.

Date: December 20, 2019 04:07PM

You should find 6 screws. If sheet metal screws are at each end, the trim got bent out. PO took cheap way out, but damaged lid using those sheet metal screws. Use JB weld to fill holes in lid to keep water out.

Al
Georgia

Date: December 20, 2019 04:15PM

I have that job on my to-do list for this Spring- I have an extra engine lid in case the current one is to messed up. Phil

Lane66m Wrote:
> You should find 6 screws. If sheet metal screws are at each end, the trim got bent out. PO took cheap way out, but damaged lid using those sheet metal screws. Use JB weld to fill holes in lid to keep water out.

Date: December 20, 2019 04:21PM

Until then, seal holes with aluminum duct tape. Open holes into engine compartment for water and fumes to enter. Not a real big issue with the hole size and even less if you have engine seal issues or missing engine sheet metal.

Al
Georgia

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.