Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Air Conditioning and Heater Delete
Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: December 18, 2019 02:18AM

All,

Was it possible to order air condition AND heater delete?

As I look through my assembly manuals it appears the only conflicting part would be the controls mounted in the dash, otherwise a heater and A/C do not share components.

I realize some options could not be ordered together such as a spare wheel lock (P19) and A/C because the tire was already locked in the trunk. But I don't know how one can tell what could or could not be ordered together. Can anyone tell me?

Lastly, here are pictures of the assembly manual for option C48 for reference - I only have the 65 and 67 assembly manual, but assume 66 is the same. The turbo cap could be used for the A/C top shroud!

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Air Conditioning and Heater Delete
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: December 18, 2019 06:36AM

My GM document library tells me at least this much: Heater delete was RPO #C48 from 1963 through 1967. Before that, it was standard, with the heater (gas or air) optional, and apparently not "available" in '68 or '69. I haven't found any direct references as to it being possible to order RPO #C64 air conditioning without a heater, so can only assume that a/c had to have a heater as a mandatory option.

-Mark

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 18, 2019 07:05AM

The major, and maybe only, shared component between the heater and a/c is the underdash control panel. Without a heater system, two of the levers, heat and air, would not be connected.

Since there's no documentation or evidence of a control panel with those levers deleted, I'd say GM never planned for an a/c model without a heater.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 18, 2019 02:08PM

I will pose another theoretical question related to this topic.
Let's say a late model was ordered with a heater delete and air conditioning was not desired either.....Would there have been a different dash treatment for the instrument side where the controls would otherwise have been mounted?
Would there have been a filler plate, or no cutout to begin with?

I am offering this question out of curiosity, not out of any real desire to doubt what was or was not was produced.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: December 18, 2019 02:09PM

Hi Mark and Craig,

Thanks for the fast response. Even if this combination was possible I am not sure if one would have been created because of the low production numbers of the heater delete option and A/C option.

I always find Kent S. website amazing. He notes that a 1967 corvair with heater delete has not been identified, but 147 were created.
RPO Statistics

Does anyone have a picture of a heater delete system for a late model?
Especially one for a Turbo engine.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Date: December 18, 2019 04:23PM

Caraholic4life, if you note, your question is already answered in the first picture Harry Moore posts, as item #1 lists a cover plate in place of the control panel, and lists thee distinct versions, one for each of the model series.

-Mark

Date: December 19, 2019 08:51AM

Hi Mark,

Is there any way to tell what the differences are between the three covers for the heater delete (3859245, 3859246, and 3869497)?

I just looked in my 1974 parts and assembly book within group 8 hoping to see a picture or some description about these covers. But instead, I didnt find them listed at all.

Does anyone have a P&A book from 65, 66, or 67 that could look the parts up?

Thanks

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: December 19, 2019 09:20AM

Poor quality pictures, cell phone cameras have come a long way in 11 years.

This is on a '68 with heater delete that was bought new in Hawaii. Not by me, and not my car. I believe that's a CB radio mic bracket screwded onto the plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 09:21AM by The Stig.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: December 19, 2019 11:02AM

Wow. That's the first time I have actually seen a Heater Delete dash plate.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 19, 2019 12:46PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Caraholic4life, if you note, your question is already answered in the first picture Harry Moore posts, as item #1 lists a cover plate in place of the control panel, and lists thee distinct versions, one for each of the model series.
>
> -Mark

Mark,
Thanks for pointing that out. It was not real obvious when I looked at the diagram but upon closer inspection, I can see what you are saying.

The photo's posted later on by The Stig are very interesting. I too have never actually seen one of these plates for the dash. I kind of figured that would be how it was dealt with.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: December 19, 2019 12:53PM

Assuming the manual above is for 1965, I'm guessing three part numbers for the dash panel are for: Corsa black, Monza silver/gray, 500 painted interior color. Would '66 and later be only 2 part numbers since Monza dashes went to black?

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: December 19, 2019 08:02PM

Spectre Wrote:
> Assuming the manual above is for 1965, I'm guessing three part numbers for the dash panel are for: Corsa black, Monza silver/gray, 500 painted interior color. Would '66 and later be only 2 part numbers since Monza dashes went to black?
--------------------------------------------------------

Hi David,

Great observation!!! I think you figured it out. Here is the heater delete in the 1967 Assembly Manual and it list only two part numbers for the cover, 3859245 and 3859246. These two numbers are exactly the same as the 1965 assembly manual, but missing the cover for a Corsa....and that is because Corsa's were not available in 1967. BUT, the part number for Monza's use the old Corsa number!

Why would this change have happened?

If anyone has a 66, 68, or 69 assembly manual can you post a pic of this page of the heater delete to triple confirm this?

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:
Date: December 19, 2019 08:11PM

Here are two more pieces to the heater delete system. I think these are the most common pieces because they were used on both early and late model heater deletes.

Can anyone confirm this?

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:

Date: December 19, 2019 08:26PM

Here is an interesting idea for heater delete and air conditioning. Could the standard A/C controls be used, but the controls for the heater just not be installed?

This would mean no custom part was made, but everything would fit and work. Here is an edited pic of what I am talking about. Pic was originally posted by cnicol.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 19, 2019 08:47PM

Wow is right Geoff (Stig), I am 3rd in saying I have never seen this part. As far as the last picture
Harry has posted, if this part ever actually existed (A/C with heater delete) I am thinking this control
panel WOULD NOT have the "plunger" switch that dictates which blower motor would be activated?

Date: December 20, 2019 03:48AM

Harry, I have a complete set of dated parts catalogs dating from back in '59 through '69 and a few from later years. Plus I have some price catalogs from the '70's as well. Interesting for doing trivia research. grinning smiley

Tim, your idea might work, but it would require a special reworked under-dash harness as well as the reworked control box. A reworked standard box would do nicely.

Now if anyone actually wants to put a car together with such a configuration, I could rework their pieces for them.

As to the cover plates, whatever would be needed to be right, you know the factory would do it. And it would show up in the form of different part numbers, though the parts catalog is no help in explaining what the differences would be. It looks like some of you guys have found that out already, as indicated from the posts above.

-Mark

Want to buy Heater Delete Parts
Date: December 23, 2019 11:44AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

If anyone happens to have the firewall delete cover (3862942) or the AC/turbo cap (3856671) for sale please let me know.

I would like to buy these parts.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Posted by: denver66 ()
Date: December 24, 2019 04:51PM

Harry Moore Wrote:

> If anyone has a 66, 68, or 69 assembly manual can you post a pic of this page of the heater delete to triple confirm this?

Harry, here's a pic of the requested page from my 1966 assembly manual.

Jon Whiteley
1966 Corsa 140 coupe
1965 Monza 140 coupe vintage racer
Denver, CO

Attachments:
Posted by: 65sprint ()
Date: December 25, 2019 05:00PM

I'm looking for the dashboard heater delete plate for a LM if anyone has one they'd like to sell.

Date: December 28, 2019 05:18PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the pic of the assembly manual. So here is what we have so far in regards to the dash cover:

[*] 3859245 (10100) This is for a 500 car. Dash is painted
    [*] 3859246 (10700) This is for a Corsa car. Dash is black
    [*] 3869497 (10500) This is for a Monza car. Dash is grey. There is a note about this part being added on 7-6-64

[*] 3859246 (10500 AND 10700). This is for a Corsa OR a Monza. Since both Monza and Corsa dashes are black there is only one cover needed. They dropped the Monza part number and just used the Corsa part number

[*] 3859246 (10500) This is for a Monsa car. Dash is black. Since the Corsa model was no longer made there is no need to have a cover for that model

David Clamp wins the award for figuring out the part numbers and dash colors. Nice Work. I am guessing all the covers are exactly the same in regards to fit, size, shape, but differ only in the color they were painted.

Mark Corbin mentioned the heater delete option was not available in 1968 or 1969. If anyone can look at their 1968 and 1969 assembly manual to confirm this one more time then I think this thread is done until more pictures of a late model heater delete get posted.

Thanks

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.