Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC Powerglide accelerator linkage
Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: December 07, 2019 08:32AM

When I acquired my 62 8-door it came sans engine/trans/diff (had a "placeholder" block trans/diff to support rolling). I am about to finish up rebuilding a '64 95 and mating up to a 64 FC PG (with front pump oil cooler connections) and 3.55 diff (posted pics in an earlier thread).

My van has the 'later style' accelerator cable that runs through the firewall and I have the correct cross-shaft and linkages on the motor but am befuddled as to how the accelerator arm on the PG connects to the accelerator cable from the pedal as this setup does not have the accelerator rod that connects to the cross-shaft.

I have looked through the shop manuals and every manual on the Corvanantics site (I think) and cannot seem to locate any picture or diagram/description about a linkage interconnect.

What am I missing? Can someone shed light and, better yet, provide a pic of their linkages?

Rob
St Pete FL

'66 Monza Coupe, Regal Red
'64 Monza convertible 4spd w/'66 180hp turbo, Daytona Blue
'62 Greenbrier 8-door, 'very patinaed' Crystal Turquoise Blue

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC Powerglide accelerator linkage
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 07, 2019 08:47AM

On a PG Rampside nothing hooks to the lower hole in the TV lever on the transmission, only the rod from the carb cross shaft linkage to the small hole on the TV lever is installed, since you have a cable and not a throttle linkage all that's needed is the rod from the cross shaft to tell the trans the throttle position and when to kick down to low gear.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 07, 2019 10:15AM

...and the rod from the cross-shaft to the TV lever is the same as '61-4 cars (for sure) and possibly a '65-9 will work.

The EM version has a 5-6" rise in the lower portion while the LM version has more like a 3" rise. In an EM car the higher rise is there to go over the lower control arm pivot. If I'm not mistaken, the wider FC suspension does not need that but someone would need to verify that point. Easiest to just get an EM part.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: December 07, 2019 10:26AM

OK, duh.. I just re-read the area on Clark's site (pg 15) that described inserting a plug to fill the hole in the front shroud. This is for a MANUAL trans FC...

Ugh.

Will find myself a rod and clips etc.

Thanks!

Rob
St Pete FL

'66 Monza Coupe, Regal Red
'64 Monza convertible 4spd w/'66 180hp turbo, Daytona Blue
'62 Greenbrier 8-door, 'very patinaed' Crystal Turquoise Blue

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.